Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #1

Proper oiling of air filter.

Hi, this is the air filter I have on my Zongshen zs200GY-a.
So, I was wondering about the proper procedure of cleaning and oiling the air filter.
First, I thought that the filter element should not be oiled and just should be clean. This was before I read the manual In this way, i was fighting with lean AFR, white spark plug. I could not resolve the lean problem.
Then, I found out that the element should be oiled with oil with viscosity like in the engine. Than I cleaned and oiled the element. I put it in oil to soak it... put it back on bike. The bike was totally different regarding engine performance. But then, I was getting rich AFR, black spark, also some problems like dying if quick applied full throttle from idle or a hesitation for a second when applied full throttle while driving. Also, increased fuel consumption and poor cold start even with chocke.
So, I can assume that the different oiling of the sponge-filter element has a lot to do with the air-fuel ratio and carb settings!!
So, now I again cleaned the filter and I'm wondering should I, and how much, oil the element.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190216_201003.jpg (98.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190216_201021.jpg (97.8 KB, 166 views)

Old 02-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivi View Post
Hi, this is the air filter I have on my Zongshen zs200GY-a.
So, I was wondering about the proper procedure of cleaning and oiling the air filter.
First, I thought that the filter element should not be oiled and just should be clean. This was before I read the manual In this way, i was fighting with lean AFR, white spark plug. I could not resolve the lean problem.
Then, I found out that the element should be oiled with oil with viscosity like in the engine. Than I cleaned and oiled the element. I put it in oil to soak it... put it back on bike. The bike was totally different regarding engine performance. But then, I was getting rich AFR, black spark, also some problems like dying if quick applied full throttle from idle or a hesitation for a second when applied full throttle while driving. Also, increased fuel consumption and poor cold start even with chocke.
So, I can assume that the different oiling of the sponge-filter element has a lot to do with the air-fuel ratio and carb settings!!
So, now I again cleaned the filter and I'm wondering should I, and how much, oil the element.
Try wringing it out, then re-install and try it again on the road. you've got way too much oil on the filter medium...ARH

Old 02-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #3

^^^ ARH has the right idea.

Roy

Old 02-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #4

Do they sell any kind of "Foam Filter Oil" over in your area?

That is what I like to use instead of "Motor Oil" like stated in some of my bike manuals...

The "Foam Filer Oil" dries into a sticky substance that basically creates little "spider webs" between the air pockets in the filter.

Or as Arial stated... you can just squeeze and ring out the filter to get some of that excess oil out of the filter

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #5

K&N makes a spray oil and a cleaner for oiled air filters.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:51 AM   #6

I like Maxima Fab 1.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer