Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #1

Everything you'd want to know about the RPS ignition switch

I recently had my Magician lock core randomly come out, and since there is no information on it I had to figure out how the retainer and housing worked to fix it.

It's a single-sided wafer lock, no side-bar, with an irregular(wider and universally coded to extrude on the spring with or without the key inserted) wafer and slot on the very end that acts as the retainer. You can ignore every other wafer and just pick that and completely remove the lock cylinder on any bike. To re-insert it have the key in and all wafers set and use a paper clip to push the retainer-wafer in to get the core to insert, and remove key and you have a working switch again.

Green - works with Black/White to ground shutoff circuit in CDI
Black/White - Works with Green; does the same thing kill switch does when lock switched while running
Red - Closes regulator circuit to give power; stays closed with running/stator state too managed by regulator
Black - splices to regulator ground like most of the switches do and works with Red to enable regulator run state. This and Red are all you need to start and operate the bike.

I've seen a lot of Honda ignition assemblies that look exactly like the RPS assembly. I don't know about the two hex bolts geometry but everything else is identical.. They all use a retainer wafer so no better security but the lock core probably has better QA..

I'm currently 3D printing a housing that uses original mount to fasten a tubular-lock 12v ignition switch.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

Mine did it too, like right in the early days, I use a thin feeler gauge to hold the locking wafer down as I slid the lock back in. 2500 gauge kmiles later and hasn't done it again. I feel like it would happen again if I went rapidly from bar lock to ignition though.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #3

Nice work. Appreciate the info.