Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

Thinking about the Hellcat but I need reliability.

The ATM 50 I have is completely unreliable. I was thinking about getting rid of it and going with a Hellcat. I read about replacing the engine bolts and lock-tight-ing certain bolts etc etc.

I need something that doesn't need constant adjustments and can run in both cold and hot NE weather.

I can keep it wrapped up outside but I can't bring it inside during the really cold days. I wonder if this willl cause problems other than the throttle cable freezing. Like, would the valves get frozen?

Would the hellcat work out for me?

Old 02-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

For price, I don't see why not. However, it seems the newest Baodiao (Vader and whatever Venom Motorsports calls them) bikes are reliable for those who have purchased them. I think with the collective heads around here, most any issue you encounter can be sorted out. But, just in case, consider a Vader.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #3

Cool. Is https://www.motorbikeoutlet.com reliable? They have them for 1199.00 includes shipping.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #4

My vader has been great but it still needs attention. Any 30-40's weather I have to adjust the carb and upwards of that, adjust it back. It really isn't a big deal though. Filled up yesterday with $1.86 although I had one bar left on the gauge. Little bike does just about everything I need it to

Old 02-05-2019, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot newb View Post
Cool. Is https://www.motorbikeoutlet.com reliable? They have them for 1199.00 includes shipping.
I have never heard of them. Riverside is around the corner to Boom/Baodiao so my guess is these guys are simply drop shipping them. Pricing is in line with what these go for at some of the large scale mail-order dealers. My friend is the distributor for TGB scooters in the US. He used to distribute all kinds of Chinese products, including Baodiao long before they offered the Vader. He does not trust them, but that is based on 4 or 5 year old opinions. My friend does deal with Taotao, and knows people personally at Taotao (i.e. warranty issues), so you could speak with him about getting a Hellcat, but he is not too knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the bike itself.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #6

Heads up, I got adventurous and took my hellcat out in the snow. I had upgraded the battery last year to one that gave better cold crank amperes, and the thing fired right up without any issue! However, the stock battery in the Lil' Monster I have cranks once or twice, then gives out. Hooking the cables to a jumper that puts out more cranking power gave it the oomph to get it going (didn't cut the fuel so I'm starting both bikes every two weeks - yesterday was the first time I took one of the bikes out in this weather. Couldn't help myself)

So my two cents on your question is that you'll probably be fine cold or hot - last I checked I was at 1500+ miles on my Hellcat without any breakdowns, and adjustments have been easy and minimal, even after taking it off roading in the summer. Bolts seem to be the only thing to pay attention to at first, though I strongly recommend the normal front gear sprocket and chain replacements, as well as regular cleaning and wax intervals. Basic bike maintenance type of things.

If the assembly process is done correctly using everyone's recommendations and the oil is changed/chain is greased or waxed, you won't regret the decision at all.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #7

I have an Icebear Fuerza. So different brand than Taotao but pretty much the same thing... a Honda Grom clone.

These bikes are simple enough that there isn't anything complicated to deal with. No ECU and pretty basic functions makes everything pretty easy to work on and to diagnose.

On that same note... You should inspect the bike when you get it and make sure everything is good. For the engine mount bolts, some people have snapped them. Others have not. The solution is pretty simple. Just replace the bolts with Class 10.9 or Class 12.9 bolts and you're good to go. Total of 2 bolts.

In terms of replacement parts... engine stuff will be from pit bikes. Plastics and other stuff will be from a Honda Grom. This makes parts pretty easy to find and replace.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:23 AM   #8

Thanks all. I will order it (Hellcat) soon. Are they making 2019 Hellcats? I no longer see it on Tao Taos website.

I almost went with a 2t 50cc scooter but I think this may work out better for cruising comfortably at 45 in the long run.

So, we got Class 10.9 or 12.9 replacement engine bolts on the list.

a 17t front sprocket (not sure which type yet) and chain

a new carb, rotating manifold and air filter? Not sure which carb, manifold and jet kit to get yet.

UPDATE:

I just bought one!

And a direct fitting performance exhaust would be nice. I will lurk some more and find out the correct parts but by any chance you know them off hand that would be cool.

When you adjust the carb for colder weather do you upjet or down jet?

Last edited by scoot newb; 03-07-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #9

This should be updated. The bike was a complete disaster out of the box.
Finally it is close to being decent.

Last edited by scoot newb; 07-10-2019 at 02:50 PM.