Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #1

Hawk 250 or CSC TT250 or buy used

I want to get a dual sport, mainly to ride forest service roads and rural paved roads. No hard core off road use, just trail riding. Bike will get trailer-ed to the woods. Grew up riding dirt bike on 15 acres. 5'11" 220lbs, wife is 5'9" think the 250 is a good size for us.

Used dual sports are not plentiful and a few I have found are 2-3k for a 10-15 year old bike, some are 400cc - 650cc sizes, I don't need that big of bike. Plan is to teach the wife to ride and eventually have a pair of bikes.

One question is the CSC TT250 worth the extra $1,000. $2,500 vs. $1,500?

Getting parts for either bike is a concern especially in 10 years or so?

it appears CSC is the only dealer for the CSC TT250 (as long as they are in business, they have parts) and easy to get. It appears they are 30+ yrs old.

TX powersports has hawk 250 parts.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #2

I personally would suggest the CSC as they have real customer support and I feel it is worth the extra (even see if they have a special at times or haggle a bit)
The Zongshen build quality motor quality and the fact it is a counter balance motor has more "long term value"

The Hawk etc are just a chunk cheaper and lower quality and you are pretty much on your own with them parts n warranty wise (mostly not all but...)
My wholesaler in CongQing China (I live in China) even says the cheap Hawk and the like are poor quality bikes, if that means anything coming from a Chinese dude who sells bikes.
I once had a bike like these and yeah not a bad frame n bike but quality was.... and parts here for body stuff is not easy to get IF you can get it,.

Long term I think the TT250 at a bit over $2000 would be the way to go and CSC do follow thru with stuff as well as the typical mods you could buy etc if you like to tinker.

These are my thoughts based on where I live what I do and the fact I did own a bike like it - I hope no one is offended with my personal opinion.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

Also the CSC is 50 states road legal no issues, that has to be a bonus too.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #4

People have had good experiences with the Hawk and have them well sorted out through these forums. However, the CSC is a 'brand' as CSC is the exclusive Zongshen distributor for the US (at least I believe they are). The point being, they are kind of like Tesla--they are only sold via themselves and the bike arrives fully assembled and literally ready to ride (with gasoline in the tank). With their warranty and other things in place, as well as lots of parts in stock (verified from magazine articles and members here). In other words, like a 'brand' without the dealership--warranty work is you either fix it and they will send you parts, or they have you take it to a local independent shop. As a brand, they are on the up and up.

That all being said, you save quite a bit with a Hawk. NZbrakelathes is in China and knows the sources, so has good advice, too, so there is your dilemma. Personally, if I could afford a bike, the CSC would be it, but that is because I am in California, and CSC is the only bike I the Chinese enduro class that I can register here.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #5

The other way to view it is:
the time spent going over the hawk or doing over time at work - which would be easier simpler in ownership and riding time.

there is no right or wrong or direct fact
There is how ever many opinions and you kinda gotta gauge which direction is best suited to you and go with the flow/decision you made.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #6

You don't need to worry about getting parts in 10 years time...
chances are the bike won't be going by then...

My TTR250 is a 2005 and now 12 years old...never had the lid off the motor
and never had to buy one engine part for it and still runs like the day it
was riden off the show room floor...
It has lived most of it's life on or near the red line...
And thats why you pay for jap bikes...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 12-02-2018, 04:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
You don't need to worry about getting parts in 10 years time...
chances are the bike won't be going by then...

My TTR250 is a 2005 and now 12 years old...never had the lid off the motor
and never had to buy one engine part for it and still runs like the day it
was riden off the show room floor...
It has lived most of it's life on or near the red line...
And thats why you pay for jap bikes...

Quality doesn't cost - It pays

You want 10 years then you need a mainstream bike, you want a fun cheap short term thing take a punt and buy something cheaper.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:51 AM   #8

When I bought the Lifan 200 I never thought I'd be riding it 11 years and 50,000+ miles later but its been a great bike. No reason a CSC Zongshen or a Hawk can't last 20+ years. They're simple bikes and parts are easy to get.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
When I bought the Lifan 200 I never thought I'd be riding it 11 years and 50,000+ miles later but its been a great bike. No reason a CSC Zongshen or a Hawk can't last 20+ years. They're simple bikes and parts are easy to get.
I had 1 in China a few years ago
Couldn’t get most non mechanical parts at all lol

Old 12-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter338 View Post
I want to get a dual sport, mainly to ride forest service roads and rural paved roads. No hard core off road use, just trail riding. Bike will get trailer-ed to the woods. Grew up riding dirt bike on 15 acres. 5'11" 220lbs, wife is 5'9" think the 250 is a good size for us.

Used dual sports are not plentiful and a few I have found are 2-3k for a 10-15 year old bike, some are 400cc - 650cc sizes, I don't need that big of bike. Plan is to teach the wife to ride and eventually have a pair of bikes.

One question is the CSC TT250 worth the extra $1,000. $2,500 vs. $1,500?

Getting parts for either bike is a concern especially in 10 years or so?

it appears CSC is the only dealer for the CSC TT250 (as long as they are in business, they have parts) and easy to get. It appears they are 30+ yrs old.

TX powersports has hawk 250 parts.
$1500 for a Hawk? You can find them for $1300 new, delivered to your door. But with the TT 250 you get great customer service, and a waranty that they will honor. Parts are pretty easy to get for either one. A lot of TT 250 parts interchange onto a Hawk, and CSC carries a lot of parts. Parts there are priced right too. The biggest difference is that the TT 250 has a counter-balanced engine, the Hawk does not. I don't think a 250 needs a counter-balanced engine, but if you do, the TT 250 is the one for you...ARH

Old 12-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #11

Get a Bashan and live happy!

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #12

From feed back and more research I have eliminated the Hawk as an option for me. But now someone mentioned Bashan, more research needed on this one.
Plan to research more on CSC for longevity. I would think a guy could keep these running for 10+ years as long as you can get parts. Sounds like the motors are sound. I will probably only ride a 1,000 miles or less per year.
4 year old honda is $4k, liquid cooled engine and fuel injected, good or bad? granted it's a Honda and likely trouble free for lots of miles.
Not going to be run hard. lots of 10-30 mph dirt road riding.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter338 View Post
From feed back and more research I have eliminated the Hawk as an option for me. But now someone mentioned Bashan, more research needed on this one.
Plan to research more on CSC for longevity. I would think a guy could keep these running for 10+ years as long as you can get parts. Sounds like the motors are sound. I will probably only ride a 1,000 miles or less per year.
4 year old honda is $4k, liquid cooled engine and fuel injected, good or bad? granted it's a Honda and likely trouble free for lots of miles.
Not going to be run hard. lots of 10-30 mph dirt road riding.

Pretty much the same thing - I asked the wholesaler that sells or sold some of these and he didn't recommend it.
Heres a snap shot of what he said today when I asked him about this type of bike cause he did have some to sell and his reaction says it all.

I strongly suggest if a China bike stick with CSC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad.jpg (9.2 KB, 1670 views)
File Type: jpg Bad2.jpg (77.3 KB, 1628 views)

Old 12-12-2018, 11:31 PM   #14

I am about 100% sure I will be ordering TT250 in 2019. Working right now to get motorcycle endorsement. In Oregon we have to take about 6hrs of class time, I chose internet on-line courses. Then two days (4hrs each) of in class/hands on riding motorcycle class, then to the DMV to take another test and get the endorsement. we get to use loaner bikes at the class.
$200 for the class (10% of a new bike). Got to follow the rules. I really want to be able to ride forest service roads, in oregon you can't ride these roads with a OHV license.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:41 PM   #15

If you have the means to get the TT250, then do so. It is a Hawk/Enforcer with better quality control, better dealer support, and with small upgrades to the bike (stronger charging system, etc) from the factory. All of the same mods can be done to it as well if you want to go down that road.
The Enforcer is, as stated, pretty much the same bike as the Hawk. The only difference it does have is its 49 state legality and resulting PAIR system (Pulsed air injection) for the exhaust emissions. There is nothing bad about them really, at least no worse or different than the Hawk, and there are a few owners on here that love them all the same.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124