Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2018, 12:12 AM   #1

Picking the “Right” Grom Class Motorcycle

What started out as “Grom Clones” is now more of a “Grom Class” of motorcycles. Most are 125cc thumpers mated to a 4 speed gearbox. There are a few exceptions like a 150 cc engine and a 5 speed tranny.

I’m looking to pick one up in the next 6 months to a year, but it seems like the choices are damn near endless! Originally, I was looking at a Vader (1st gen), but now there are so many new, exciting options.

Here’s where you come in! List your bike, how long have you owned it, how many miles do you have on it, the pros, the cons, why you ultimately went with that bike and would you buy it again.

Thanks for your input!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 08-13-2018, 01:29 AM   #2

I was considering buying a Grom but I couldn't justify paying 4k for one, I started looking at Grom clones. I was considering the Vader,SSR Razkull, and the Taotao Hellcat. I ended up buying the Hellcat because it was cheap and it was available for local pickup. I did the necessary mods, carb, exhaust, rear axle ect. I got it runnnig really good and havent had any issues with mine at all, everything actually works! I do hate the cheap plastic fairings, they do break easily and I hate the way they look especially in blue.I think the biggest pro about the Hellcat is the all the parts are readily available through Partskit.com and many parts from a Honda Grom will work with the Hellcat. Right now I'm in the process of doing a cosmetic make over by removing most of the plastic fairings to make it look something like the new Honda Monkey 125. It's coming along pretty good, I should have it done in a couple of weeks.
If I was in the market for a Grom type bike right now I'd probably would spend a little more money and buy a Kymco Spade.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #3

I picked up a used Vader by luck and it's been pretty much what I expected. I'd buy it again for that price ($400). The grom $ was too much in my eyes. I could get a big bike for that price easy.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #4

I own a Gen2 Vader ,all Black. Can't speak for reliability since it was just delivered, but I will say after I got it assembled it started and ran fine and everything works .I did "have to " adjust the chain right off as it was so loose it was dragging the swingarm ,you have to put the bottom bolt in the rear shock as a standard part of the assembly process at unboxing, so I'd guess it was left loose to facilitate that .I have figured out a lot of what Grom parts both OEM and aftermarket will fit it ,see my thread on that. If i had it to do over again i may have gone with Gen1 for the look of the plastics but

on the other hand the Gen2 plastics/fairings seem to be a bit sturdier so there is that.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #5

I got the Hellcat over any other small bike, mainly because I liked the style of the first gen groms, and it's pretty similar. I wanted/still want a Grom but I felt for my first bike I wanted something cheap that I could ride to make sure I liked the size and learn to work on it. As well not trip if i dropped it or something. Now when i get the Grom (yes, i'm still getting one, i love Honda products) i won't be so much of a noob. I have also had other Tao Tao scooters so i was familiar with there quality.

500miles
had for almost 4 months.
No major problems, Other than my own faults.
Did all the basic clone upgrades

Old 08-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #6

Vader 125 (first gen) and Taotao Hellcat are pretty much the same bike. Just different manufacturer. Pretty much exact clone of the Grom.

Icebear Fuerza pretty much the same as the Vader 125 and Taotao Hellcat but has a lower rear suspension and a different headlight. Good part about Icebear is that they had a LOT of success with the maddog scooter and there are dealerships that distribute the Icebear. Dealership I got mine from had it to my house pretty damn quick. Followed up with the paperwork pretty quickly as well.

Grom (first gen) plastics and other parts (not including engine) all are a direct swap to the Vader 125, Taotao hellcat, and Icebear Fuerza.

The SSR Razkull was a bike that was released by SSR to compete against the Grom. Motorcycle.com has a youtube video where they compare 4 different "grom style" bikes.

The Icebear Little Monster is a clone of the SSR Razkull. I believe Boom (company that makes the Vader) also has a clone of the SSR Razkull.

Then you got the Benelli TNT135 and the Lifan KP Mini. These don't have the horizontal pit bike engine and instead have a vertical style engine.

So...

Best bet would be to get a Taotao Hellcat/Icebear Fuerza/Vader 125. That way, if you crack any plastics... you can use Grom plastics. If you need other parts... you can use grom parts... other than engine stuff. A lot easier getting on ebay and finding Grom parts than it is to try and get a hold of the dealerships and stuff. Plus it gives you a LOT of options.

SSR razkull and it's clones can use Grom parts but plastics won't fit. So if you need to buy plastics... you'd have to get them from SSR or the manufacturer.

Other key thing to note is that the SSR uses an engine mounting style similar to the Grom where there are 3 engine mount bolts. For that reason, to swap the ZS190CC in, you have to get adapter plates. Check facebook group for the plates. I think they're $90.

The clones (Hellcat, Fuerza, Vader, Little Monster) all use pit bike engines... so the engine mounts/is secured by 2 bolts. This makes the swap a direct bolt in. Though you should also upgrade the bolts to Class 10.9 or 12.9 if you haven't done so already.

I have a Fuerza... about 200 miles. No issues. You can click the link (signature) and see my mod list and parts I have to install still.

Honestly, I'm waiting for a specific supplier to get the ZS190CC in stock. In the meantime, just tinkering with the 125cc.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
Vader 125 (first gen) and Taotao Hellcat are pretty much the same bike. Just different manufacturer. Pretty much exact clone of the Grom.
Note* The Hellcat and Icebear don't have the egr stuff on the front of engine Head. No blocking plate needed if you take egr off.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #8

The Gen2 Vader doesnt have it on the front anymore , either.Which kinda sux because its much harder to get to , to take it off now lol.
2020 Orion RXB250L