And here's what they say:

http://www.lifan.com/en//corpnews_li...5&parentid=358

My goodness!

tcs
Wow,......interesting news.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #3

Makes me wonder how these unauthorized got their bikes in the first place eh?

CC

"The Return - Riding Western China" movie site:
http://www.motocyclops.com

Old 02-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
The Lifan factory president is named "Bob?" (Before the flame war of responses begins, yes I know some Asians take caucasian give names to minimise pronunciation problems.) 'Tis interesting indeed.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 02-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Another thing, if the 'factory' is so against this practice of unauthorized distribution, then why are they selling to them? If they're not, then where are these unauthorized distributors getting these bikes? If their getting them from other bike factories such as Shineray, Stannic, or some other, then putting a Lifan name to it sounds a bit like counterfiting. This thread is sure to open a can of worms.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 02-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #6

What you're likely witnessing is the evolution of a Chinese company learning how to sell in the North American market. Figure a buyer takes a risk and invests in a few containers of Lifan's. No problem for Lifan as they still get the money and move some units.

Turns out the bikes aren't selling or marketed right so the buyer says "Ho shit!" and dumps as many as he can to who-ever will buy them...and for cheap. In the meantime, Lifan thinks "Hmmm the only way these things will work is if we back and support them ourselves." A bit more of an investment in their part but at least they have a chance at building their own brand image - an EXTREMELY important aspect to American markets.

So now by issuing this statement they officially screw the original importer of the bikes and the other people he has sold them to. Question is...what happens to the unsold units? Lifan can't "take" them back as they were sold units and after they release the GY6 who will buy the 5 anyway?

The other option may be the bikes were released basically on consignment and the importer pulled some crooked books to make it look like he was getting valid distribution when he actually wasn't. Now the question is, are the unsold units actually property of the manufacturer who is trying to get them back?

Only the shadow knows!

CC :wink:

"The Return - Riding Western China" movie site:
http://www.motocyclops.com

Old 02-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #7

Well, from my point of view all I can say is.........

HILARIOUS

You see it's very very very funny to me since the chinese are known to copy any and everything.
It's like the leader of a gang of thieves getting mad at someone in his gang that is stealing from the gang.

I guess it's growing pains for A.L. quick someone throw them a teething ring.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #8

All I got is a heading of " Special Attention".
And a picture that would not come up.
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 02-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #9

[img]/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7269& g2_serialNumber=1[/img]

that is what it said

Old 02-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #10

Thanks Jim.
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #11

Bob Yang

I did a search for "bob yang" lifan and the following came up. He was the general manager and now the VP.

http://www.lifan.com/en//corpnews_li...5&parentid=358

It is interesting to read this. Especially as Rabbitscooters, T-motorsports etc have bought their Lifans wholesale from somewhere (most likely from China and even more likely Lifan China). I'll be watching the other boards like lifan-moto.com (hosted by rabbitscooters). What really is the other side of the story?

It doesn't take a long search to find all kinds of cool bikes wholesale FOB china that they claim are EPA approved. I've considered buying a container load. I just couldn't let myself sell an unknown product knowing I couldn't sell parts for folks to maintain them. The XY400Y http://www.made-in-china.com/showroo...-XY250GY-.html looks pretty cool as well as this watercooled 400 http://xingyueshen.com/product_gd.php?id3=499

I saw on one site that the water cooled one could be had for $1549 wholesale. Pretty cool.

It is interesting to watch the chinese motorsport industry make history.

Jeff

Old 02-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #12

I honestly don't believe this letter for several reasons. The first, which I'm sure most everyone would agree on is that this letter is written in very proper english there are no poor spellings or false usage of wording and the text appears to be completely of an american form of english. I really don't think that even the best of chinese translators have this ability. Have any of you read the confusing chinglish that comes with owners manual, definatly does not seem to come from the same hand. Secondly I purchased a bike from rabbit scooters/galata motors/lifan wholesales. The bike had all three names listed somewhere in the paperwork. That being said it came with an authentic mco from chongshing industries or whatever the chinese lifan company is called. I've had no problems with registration, insurance or any real quality issues. The engine has all of the lifan badged bolt insignia etc. Bottom line is that this letter is suspect in that it clearly seems to offer a scare tactic which greatly benifits American Lifan. That being said, the other companies addressed in this letter seem to be those who are in the greatest competition with american lifan. Does anyone really believe that the chinese care about anything other than selling more motorcycles. Just my opinion on the situation please take it as you will. I apologize in advance if I've offended anyone

Old 02-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #13

I think if someone brings the 400cc over it will be a big hit here.

I know I'd be looking at getting one if the cost was right around $2000-2400 but any more than that and I'd be looking at other options.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #14

It was on their site, so I believe it for the most part. However, these bikes are probably not actual export models, but rather the importers listed got hold of "people" in China who wholesale these. In other words, like in the 80's with Levi's putting a limit on how many jeans you could purchase, in order to try to stop independent exporters from competing with their authorized channels in various overseas markets.

It seemed funny that one big independent importer, Hooper, was not mentioned. I think he had set up import channels before A. Lifan, so he is kinda, sorta, grandfathered in, I guess?

I think that those having trouble with registration do not live in easy to register states, like Arizona.

I also don't know what took Lifan so long to catch on. We have been debating this for almost a couple of years, and hundreds, if not thousands, of these unauthorized bikes have been arriving by the containerload.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #15

Reading the letter again, he insinuates that these are not Lifan bikes, but then he calls them unauthorized. So, they are real Lifan products, but gotten hold of through Chinese wholesalers.

He does call them 2nd rate, so either they are counterfeit (a big accusation--criminal) or they are not what were supposed to be sent to us, but, rather, are made by suppliers such as Shineray, for the domestic Chinese market.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard