Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #1

Should i buy a non running TT250 for $800

I found this mom who is selling her son's 2016 TT250 for $1300 but he lost the key. I knew this and i looked at it anyway. its in fairly decent shape they threw on a random muffler it looks like which just swings around extremely loose very unsafe plus its not tightly fit into header. he also tried to hotwire it apparently and cut all four wires to the ignition. they were tied back together. So first thing i did was see if it was seized up and tried kick start. It really only gave me one chug. every dirt bike i had would give two to three chugs. can anyone chime on on that part. and i tried touching the black and the black/white and kicking it over nothing and then tried the green and the red touching and then tried kicking it over nothing. Wasnt too surprised because i am in this strangers garage trying to do a quick assessment of the bike and i have never hot wired anything but figured it was just a matter of grounding a wire or something i just know you shouldnt touch the hot with the ground i would think. oh well couldnt get it to kick over and concerned about the amount of chugs i got every time i tried kicking it. so i told her that since i cant verify the condition on the motor and since her son tried to hotwire it himself which im sure he knows less than i do. he could have maybe did more damage to the electrical on the bike doing that so i offered $800. she said she was only planning on going down to $1k so she would have to ask her son. Bottom line she aint gonna get a $1000 for a china bike that doesnt run but is $800 too much also that i offered. I dont know anything about these bikes and if that is a good offer and i could still get it running with less than $500 extra put into it. I mean i dont know how it was run or taken care of so whats everyones opinion. i really like the tt250 over the hawk and i cant really spend $2000 right know on a new tt250 or tmec 200 which is sold locally.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #2

I'd say she better jump on that $800. No key, hot wired, exhaust jacked up,.... I wouldve mumbled $500 and pointed out how bad it is. Any paperwork on it?

Old 06-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #3

she has the title for it

Old 06-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #4

This is what I would do. Go on CSC's website (which is down right now or there would be a bunch of links here) and go to TT250 parts. Price out all of the parts you think you will need. Lost key = new key and cylinder set (including new gas cap). $85 New Wiring harness = $55. New rear exhaust section = $??, etc. Once you have that list together, and if you need to print out the pages showing the prices, go back, tell her you will start at that $1000, since you can't verify the condition of the engine, then say that you will subtract the cost of the parts to repair it from that $1000. I would almost bet you will end up at $800 lol. So, yes, in my opinion $800 is a reasonable offer.

I would stand my ground on that price too, and even show examples of other TT250's that were in complete running order and in better shape. They don't want to accept the reality that they are going to lose a bunch of money selling a beat up and poorly modified bike. Give them your offer and your contact information. Tell them your offer stands and that if they change their mind (which they will eventually) to give you a call. Without knowing the condition of the engine or the transmission, they would be lucky to get an offer of $500 from me.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #5

last non running bike i bought that was hotwired i paid 250 for... turned out they never changed the oil and ran it till the rings siezed in the piston, and it lost all compression....

Old 06-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #6

1 chug when you kick it over is normal.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #7

need a battery

so i guess if battery is dead it wont start either even if i kickstart it from what im told about these. what battery do i get from say walmart or say autozone that works in these just to try it again. i want to purchase from a place i know i can return it if it still doesnt run

Old 06-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #8

battery should not matter for starting it. but proper tuning and setup of the carb would. I run my hawk with a dead battery now. just kick and start. if he showed so little attention to the wiring and muffler, etc, I would be concerned with what else he did to abuse the bike. You could tell them you'll give 1000 IF they get it running.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #9

CSC are the ones that told me that it wont start with a bad battery. Can anyone chime in on this are the hawks and tts different in that way. hell anyone who has a tt want to disconnect their battery for me and try kicking it over to see if it still starts

Old 06-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #10

I don't have any direct answer to your question, but I believe you have to have a battery, but it doesn't need to be good. just has to complete all the connections.

curious to hear other input though.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:23 PM   #11

$500 and they will still probably laugh at you behind your back for how messed up the son left it. I know, times have changed as far as prices go, but I guess $800 is about the maximum I would pay. Not sure how much an engine costs from CSC, or a crate motor on Ebay, but that, and the exhaust and key would be my negotiating starting point. At $800, you might be about at the price of a new bike, worse case scenario.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #12

A bike will start with a dead battery because the circuit is still complete. A bad battery however, that won't take a charge is open or shorted, either case won't allow a bike to start. A bike also won't start if you disconnect (open) a battery cable or connect the battery cable's together (short). If you put a few ohm resistor in place of the battery you can start a bike without a battery (acts like a dead battery). A capacitor can also be used in place of the battery (acts like a short term battery). The resistor or capacitor would have to be sufficient wattage to handle the bikes electrical system.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #13

AFAIK the TT250 has a DC ignition, so it does need a good battery in order to fire.

Just my 2 cents, but if they aren't willing to spend $30 to make the bike run for a better sale price, then I would walk away.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #14

Should of had a key made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrfxr67 View Post
I'd say she better jump on that $800. No key, hot wired, exhaust jacked up,.... I wouldve mumbled $500 and pointed out how bad it is. Any paperwork on it?
The son/mother could have called in a locksmith and had an ignition key made. Very simple to do and not that expensive. Maybe the son/mother just threw the key in the trash when something bad happened to the bike!
Just my opinion.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appel_1978 View Post
what battery do i get from say walmart or say autozone ...
Stock 12M6AS-3B http://en.ysdianchi.com/cpzx/fys/ is some oddball
Measure the space available & find something fits from industry giant https://www.yuasabatteries.com/wp-co...nal.x78244.pdf Once u had the proper model #, compatible are easy to find...
---
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20893 seems a good guide