Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #1

New Hawk!!!

Well really have not posted much, as i am more of a lurker. But thanks to this forum and the valuable information. Got my Hawk from TXmotorsports (i now know their reputation is not good) it came with zero damage in crate which was a plus. Had her together in a day doing all the grease, and locktight.
I had ordered a 17/45 setup,mikuni carb with jets and 25 slow jet,K&N filter, and the exhaust.
Now i got her running and slowly started mods, first was air box mod with K&N, gave her a little pep, but not much.
Next was the carb jetted 115/25 in anticipation of exhaust which has yet to arrive.
All i can say is Damn what a difference in power from stock.....
I have yet to change the sprockets cause i want to see what she can do on the roads first. This was bought more so for fun on the trails and use of the road to get to those trails . Like the wife said why do you need another bike, my reply was the harley does not do well on dirt...lol
Plus can not wait for the MCO to arrive, which i hope is soon.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1029 View Post
Well really have not posted much, as i am more of a lurker. But thanks to this forum and the valuable information. Got my Hawk from TXmotorsports (i now know their reputation is not good) it came with zero damage in crate which was a plus. Had her together in a day doing all the grease, and locktight.
I had ordered a 17/45 setup,mikuni carb with jets and 25 slow jet,K&N filter, and the exhaust.
Now i got her running and slowly started mods, first was air box mod with K&N, gave her a little pep, but not much.
Next was the carb jetted 115/25 in anticipation of exhaust which has yet to arrive.
All i can say is Damn what a difference in power from stock.....
I have yet to change the sprockets cause i want to see what she can do on the roads first. This was bought more so for fun on the trails and use of the road to get to those trails . Like the wife said why do you need another bike, my reply was the harley does not do well on dirt...lol
Plus can not wait for the MCO to arrive, which i hope is soon.
Congrats on the new bike! Nice start on the mods, and it's nice to see you have done your homework. I am also glad to see that for once a TXpowersports purchase actually went well.

If you think the difference in power from stock is amazing, just wait until you get that exhaust on and the motor breaks in. Even with taller gearing the bike becomes a torquey little monster in the mid range of the revs.

As far as the gearing goes, if you want to test the waters, toss on the 45 rear sprocket first and run the stock 15 front. That will at least make it a tiny bit more road friendly without giving up much in the way of off-road grunt. OR install the 17 front with the 50 rear - this is the same stock gearing as the TT250.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #3

Thanks megadan, and sorry for your loss,as i read the post. Yes i was thinking about the 17t up front to test the waters first. As for the exhaust it should be here tomorrow,and on the same day.
went to Oriellys and got 10w and 15w fork oil,so thats on order to change tonight, as i am 6ft 195lbs so too much dip in the front for my weight. I did read your post about the preload spacers, so that will be next if i dont get it where i like it...

Old 05-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #4

Congrats lurker! Every time I see a post like this I think to myself what color did he choose? I don't know why.

you like Harley's so it's black I bet.

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1029 View Post
Thanks megadan, and sorry for your loss,as i read the post. Yes i was thinking about the 17t up front to test the waters first. As for the exhaust it should be here tomorrow,and on the same day.
went to Oriellys and got 10w and 15w fork oil,so thats on order to change tonight, as i am 6ft 195lbs so too much dip in the front for my weight. I did read your post about the preload spacers, so that will be next if i dont get it where i like it...
Personal opinion here, but do the preload spacers too. If you want to take the easy way out, get some 7/8" OD washers, thick ones if you can, and stack some under the factory spacers. This will give you the ability to kind of tinker with it. Just fork oil alone won't solve how much it sinks to the ground.

Thank you for the kind words.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravin01 View Post
Congrats lurker! Every time I see a post like this I think to myself what color did he choose? I don't know why.

you like Harley's so it's black I bet.
98 Harley Dyna is Black!
18 Hawk 250 is Black!
So dead on your assumption!!!

Old 05-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Personal opinion here, but do the preload spacers too. If you want to take the easy way out, get some 7/8" OD washers, thick ones if you can, and stack some under the factory spacers. This will give you the ability to kind of tinker with it. Just fork oil alone won't solve how much it sinks to the ground.

Thank you for the kind words.
Think i will try that as it will give me range to tune to my liking.
As for trying the 17 tooth sprocket first,well its on and i road up and down the yard, i can feel the loss of torque but i am not shifting in 2 seconds after starting now

Old 05-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #8

I got mine from txpowersports too. I had to email them to get the MSO. They did get it out pretty quick after the email.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanc12 View Post
I got mine from txpowersports too. I had to email them to get the MSO. They did get it out pretty quick after the email.
i tried the email and was getting a return to sender message, so i called the guy i spoke too who i could barely understand, said they are mailed automaticly? When did you purchase yours? maybe it changed? And we are neighbors i am over in NH.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #10

I got mine the end of April. I waited a little more than a week for the mso. When it didnt show I emailed them. I used atvsnmore@gmail for the address.

I live way up north. Unfortunately Canada is much much closer than New Hampshire.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #11

Hey mac wherei n NH? I have land in Dalton. Trying to line up a foundation contractor. Planning an eventual escape from CT. NH and I agree on many things, CT and I have grown apart.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Hey mac wherei n NH? I have land in Dalton. Trying to line up a foundation contractor. Planning an eventual escape from CT. NH and I agree on many things, CT and I have grown apart.
I am up in the White Mtns just south of Lincoln and i agree as i and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts grew apart a long time ago....

Old 05-25-2018, 11:07 AM   #13

Welcome, Mac! We're gonna need pics of your new bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome, Mac! We're gonna need pics of your new bike.
Well i uploaded it as my profile picture
But i dont see it?

Old 05-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #15

Welcome to the Forum, Mac! Glad you were able to make an informed choice on the new bike and the mods you wanted to do. Keep us posted on how you put it all together and what you think as the bike breaks in after a couple hundred miles.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up