Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #1

Hawk surging

So about 2 weeks ago I was trying to cross a deep ditch and I was going a little to fast and bent my front rim to hell. So I ordered a new rim and installed and my bikes back on the road. Now my problem is now I notice a wobble I thought it might be from the new rim not being true. It is out of true slightly but I wouldn’t think it would cause the wobble. I can still get it up to 65 no problem and I don’t feel it wobbling at high speeds. So at low speeds in 2nd,3rd gear at steady idle it’s not a wobble like I originally thought it feels like engine is surging. Any ideas on how to fix this problem or what could be causing it. Maybe worn clutch. I still need to check my front axle bolt I was thinking maybe that also got bent and was causing the wobble(surging) I felt. Now I’m not sure because it feels engine related not tire related. Any ideas are greatly appreciated thanks

Old 05-08-2018, 10:36 PM   #2

Check for a vacuum leak.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #3

All other issues aside, do your best to true the new wheel and tighten the spokes properly. A cheap truing stand makes the job easier.
Are you using the original tire on the new rim? If so, the tire might be wasted after being on the bent rim. Same thing happened to me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #4

Just a suggestion, did you use the same tire that you bent your rim on? Maybe you deformed the tire with the wreck?

How long was the bike setting waiting on the new rim to come in? Ethanol, if not treated, does bad things inside of carburetors if they set too long.

Kirk

Old 05-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Hawk View Post
So about 2 weeks ago I was trying to cross a deep ditch and I was going a little to fast and bent my front rim to hell. So I ordered a new rim and installed and my bikes back on the road. Now my problem is now I notice a wobble I thought it might be from the new rim not being true. It is out of true slightly but I wouldn’t think it would cause the wobble. I can still get it up to 65 no problem and I don’t feel it wobbling at high speeds. So at low speeds in 2nd,3rd gear at steady idle it’s not a wobble like I originally thought it feels like engine is surging. Any ideas on how to fix this problem or what could be causing it. Maybe worn clutch. I still need to check my front axle bolt I was thinking maybe that also got bent and was causing the wobble(surging) I felt. Now I’m not sure because it feels engine related not tire related. Any ideas are greatly appreciated thanks
If you are running 87 octane gas with ethanol in it, that COULD cause the engine surging problem. I'd drain the gas, put it in the car or pick-up that gets driven the most, and only use non ethanol gas in the bike. And the lawn mower or any other small gas engined stuff you may own...ARH

Old 05-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
All other issues aside, do your best to true the new wheel and tighten the spokes properly. A cheap truing stand makes the job easier.
Are you using the original tire on the new rim? If so, the tire might be wasted after being on the bent rim. Same thing happened to me.
Didn’t think of that, the tires not that old. I got Shinko 244s so I’ll put the stock knobbie back on and see if that fixes it. Bike was sitting for only about a week and a half. I’ll clean the carb maybe it’s gummed up. It is really annoying because it didn’t do this until after I fixed the bent rim. Before it was running great. I still have stock carb and I’ve had the bike for about 7 months. Maybe it’s time for a new carb.
I would use non ethanol but closest place is like an hour away

Old 05-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #7

Did you replace just the rim or the whole wheel assembly? You may also want to check the rotor and make sure it didn't get slightly bent. Check to see if the wheel spins freely and the rotor is not rubbing the brake pad. Just a thought. I do over think things sometime. lol
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Didn’t think of that, the tires not that old. I got Shinko 244s so I’ll put the stock knobbie back on and see if that fixes it. Bike was sitting for only about a week and a half. I’ll clean the carb maybe it’s gummed up. It is really annoying because it didn’t do this until after I fixed the bent rim. Before it was running great. I still have stock carb and I’ve had the bike for about 7 months. Maybe it’s time for a new carb.
I would use non ethanol but closest place is like an hour away
The tire from my bent rim is still on my straight rim and it hops, rather than wobbles. I was hoping that it would straighten out after being pressurized in the correct shape for awhile, but no luck. I'm going to buy a new tire.
Let us know the result after you change the tire.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #9

Ughhh, I found a leak in the intake manifold, bike seemed to run great except slight wobble and when I get up to 65 and up starts slightly hesitating on freeway. So I ordered a new one and went to oreillys to get gasket sealer to hold me off till I get my new manifold. On the way bike felt funny so while riding I was inspecting everything and I notice my rear sprocket is wobbling. Turned around went back home slowly. Noticed my sprocket had a lot of play in it and saw the groove that the clip that holds the sprocket in place was not even there anymore. Took the rim off and I’m screwed, again. I thought these bikes can take a beating, I mostly use it to go to work everyday. I have no idea what happened but looks like a bolt broke and got worse from there. I wish to hell I would of checked it when I first felt the wobble. Probably could have saved my rim. Already ordered a new rear rim. Y’all make sure to check your rear driven sprocket bolts every once in a while cause I’m out $145 now and after I just spent $135 on a new front rim(affirms the best). I had problems with sprocket bolts when I first got the bike and got Honda replacement bolts. I never shimmed them with washers though so maybe that was the problem, idk. I think this bikes cursed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47F8096F-FB28-4BE2-8A87-E78FB49E5C99.jpg (19.7 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg 771D8C58-C3A0-4A82-9FEB-F56401B216FE.jpg (10.8 KB, 384 views)

Old 05-18-2018, 12:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Ughhh, I found a leak in the intake manifold, bike seemed to run great except slight wobble and when I get up to 65 and up starts slightly hesitating on freeway.
See post #2

Old 05-18-2018, 12:41 AM   #11

Lol,sorry forgot to thank the Great Merlin
It was your post that made me check and find the leak. That sent me to the store and found my sprocket wobbly. I might of never noticed and went to work in the morning and on the freeway sprocket would of flown off and could of crashed and died. Merlin saved my life. I owe you. In all sincerity,thanks

Old 05-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #12

Going off the pictures of the hub, it looks like the snap ring was either not fully seated and got popped out, or it broke and came apart. You are definitely lucky that didn't come off at higher speeds!

If you haven't ordered the wheel yet, you could always buy the TT250 rear wheel assembly from CSC. It is the same wheel/hub type, but has one key design change. The rear sprocket actually bolts on to the hub directly. It still has the snap ring, but it serves as a secondary retainer instead of the primary.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #13

Damn I ordered one already I’m trying to get it cancelled hopefully. Yeah I’d rather have the tt250 rim. I made sure my snap ring was in place and seated correctly. I didn’t lose it it was still on the bike. Not sure what happened

Old 05-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #14

Hawk 250cc dirt bike problem

Hello I have a hawk250cc dirtbike

I put in a brand new battery and when I try putting the key in and turning the bike on nothing happens. Not even the lights turn on. Their is zero power going from he battery to the bike.

I checked all the starting procedures the kill switch is in the correct position.

Does anyone know what I can do? I even put a new spark plug and still nothing

Old 05-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #15

Take the battery to autozone and have them check it for you or you can check it yourself with a voltmeter. You might have bought a bad battery