Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

Magician assembly, synthetic oil?

So I just bought and assembled a Magician. It started right up (looked like it was on fire). It doesn't like to idle, but I'm assuming I can up the idle screw and have some more luck.

So a few questions:

I'm going to run 15w-40 diesel oil for the break in period. Can I switch to 4 stroke 20w-50 synthetic down the road or do I need to stay with non synthetic?

The front brake caliper seems to be free floating. It is attached with pegs and a two boots, no screws holding it in place. Is this normal? Any recommendations on avoiding disc rub?

I want to keep it stock for now (minus a NGK plug), has anybody else had idle issues?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

I don't know about the china bikes, but you may need clutch plates made for synthetic oil or the clutch will slip, it did on my old jap bikes.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #3

I would use conventional oil until you have about 500 to 1000 miles on the bike. Synthetic oil can be to slick for proper break-in on these old style engines. I use Rotella T 15w40 diesel oil. It has all the additives that a motorcycle clutch likes.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrastu View Post
I don't know about the china bikes, but you may need clutch plates made for synthetic oil or the clutch will slip, it did on my old jap bikes.
Was the synthetic oil an automotive oil? If so, that is why. Automotive oils for gas engines have friction modifiers that will kill a motorcycle wet clutch quickly. Motorcycle clutches can handle synthetic if it's for a diesel engine or motorcycle specific oil. I have ran synthetic in my old GS's that are notorious for slipping clutches and the synthetic has not caused a problem, but the oil is a bike spec synthetic oil Valvoline.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Was the synthetic oil an automotive oil? If so, that is why. Automotive oils for gas engines have friction modifiers that will kill a motorcycle wet clutch quickly. Motorcycle clutches can handle synthetic if it's for a diesel engine or motorcycle specific oil. I have ran synthetic in my old GS's that are notorious for slipping clutches and the synthetic has not caused a problem, but the oil is a bike spec synthetic oil Valvoline.
Cool, thanks I learned something, and I have plenty synthetic diesel oil too.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:42 AM   #6

The easiest way to fix the your idle problem with your Magician is to buy a new carb the stock carb comes sealed but you can still get it opened to clean it. I bought one for $22 and it worked great on my first Magician. I have several video on the Magician on my YouTube channel, my channel is just called DZ.

Tags
assembly, magician, oil change