Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #1

New to Moto/ Hawk 250.

Hello there friends,

I am new to motorcycling and have obtained a Hawk 250 from a friend. In a couple months we plan on going on a Moto Trip and I was wondering if anyone who currently has a Hawk 250 could tell me of some common issues you may have encountered.

I am working on putting together a tool kit for the bike so while off road I can fix items on the spot. Does anyone know of a good website(s) to obtain parts for this bike? i.e.( Brake pads / Chains / Clutch Levers / etc.)

Thank you all for any help or assistance you can give to me

Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #2

Im still new to the Hawk/Bashan as well still debating on which model to get so not much experience there. But I do have a lot of experience with long trips and tool kits.
-8/10/12/14mm wrenches
-Allen key set
-Small breaker bar and wte size socket you need for the rear axel
-Pliers normal and needlnose
-Spark plug puller
-Tire repair kit, I have a nice one from slime that comes with a mini air compressor(very handy for going being soft dirt/sand and tarmac) and plugs/patches. I also carry a bottle of slime(you can also pre-slime your tubes)
-Mini gas can, just a little 1/4 gal one will do thats probably good for 15-20 miles on these bikes could easily get you to a gas station.
-Extra clutch/brake levers or upgrade to ASV
-Extra tube(even with the repair kit you never know when one could get totally shredded)
-Zip ties
-Electrical tape
Any number of these have gotten me out of a pinch when I was out in the wilderness, cant be to prepared it sure beats being stranded.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #3

Common issues are generally due to poor assembly or poor mantenance.

What I would suggest is to check the wheel bearings front and rear, make sure they are good to go. Get yourself a spoke wrench and check/tighten the spokes.

The stock tubes are a known weak point, so if they haven't been replaced yet, install some good heavy duty name brand tubes.

While you have the rear wheel off to check the bearings, also check he rear sprocket for play. If it does have play then post 32 on this thread of mine explains my simple fix http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19265&page=3

Grease all of the pivot points - swing arm bushings/axle and the shock bolt shoulders.

Check all of the critical fasteners and apply blue loctite to them if this hasn't been done.

Give it a good tune up. Check the plug, and install an NGK or Denso plug if it still has the Torch brand plug it came with. Check and adjust the valve lash. Inspect the fuel hose and replace with a good quality hose from the parts store - Lawn and Garden clear fuel hose works perfectly You will likely have some extra, toss that in with your tool kit, because it never hurts.

Give all of the electrical a good once over, Check connectors for corrosion, clean if needed. Use of dielectric grease is never a bad thing to ensure a little waterproofing of those connectors. Make sure wires aren't rubbing together or against anything. Liberal use of zip ties to secure wiring never hurts.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Tags
hawk250, parts, tools