Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2017, 12:08 AM   #1

Jackpot!

Well Bruce you were right. Eventually some disabled kid's ATVs finally showed up on Craigslist.

The guy said he would take $350 for all of these.

https://tricities.craigslist.org/snw/6165247422.html

I asked him if he would just sell the 110 cc models but said his brother or brother in-law was in a financial bind and wanted to sell all but would take $350 for them.

I have not bought or even looked at them yet but hopefully it's possible I can fix the 90cc models up with what's there and sell it.

And use one of the 110cc engines on my Kinetic Moped. That would at least give me some idea if this is going to be worthwhile project before buying a new engine.

So does $350 sound like a good price for all of these?

Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #2

Depends on what's wrong with them. But if it's minor stuff on at least 3 or 4 of them then Yea that's a real good deal if you're just gonna fix up and sell. And have the space to work on all if them.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #3

Five disabled ATV's can lead to marital struggles.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #4

Dang thats like two years of fun projects.

/

Old 06-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

parts

that is a good price.. will keep you busy... what do used one that run & work sell for in your area?? with a little work ... if they run... you could easy make $1000.00 after the dust settles.. $300.00 each... x 5

Old 06-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #6

i find stuff like that all the time ,I like to buy those quads at about $50.00 each as non runners ,but $70.00 each isn't the end of the world since you have some interest in them as a quad ,to me they are just organ donors .Now that you found these ,you will find it's much easier to find the next one down the line ,until you are like me with 40 dirt bikes in storage .Remember ,even the ones you cannot repair usually have parts and pieces that somebody else could use ,and just about everything can be parted out for more money than selling it whole .

Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
i find stuff like that all the time ,I like to buy those quads at about $50.00 each as non runners ,but $70.00 each isn't the end of the world since you have some interest in them as a quad ,to me they are just organ donors .Now that you found these ,you will find it's much easier to find the next one down the line ,until you are like me with 40 dirt bikes in storage .Remember ,even the ones you cannot repair usually have parts and pieces that somebody else could use ,and just about everything can be parted out for more money than selling it whole .
I figure these things should provide me with enough spare parts for awhile.

I've got a crazy idea for one of these. My parents own a small beach house in a campground at the beach and the campground does not allow gasoline powered vehicles (other than cars) in the campground. Everything else must be battery powered (golf-karts, scooters, etc.)

I'm wondering if I can put an electric motor on it and use three lawnmower batteries to power the motor.

I figure I can use a fog light relay and an on/off switch (maybe the starter switch) to activate the motor. So the motor will be operated in bursts. Speed up then coast.

Finding a "cheap" 3 hp motor is going to be the biggest issue. I've got plenty of Fiat/Yugo starters but I don't think using a starter as a motor would work since they would probably get hot fast.

The main reason for this is during the peak season, there is almost no place to park a golf kart. So if my daughter and I wanted to go to the beach, get ice cream or go to the pool, I could always park it off the curb.

I don't know what kind of range this thing would have though. The campground is pretty big.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofiat124 View Post
I figure these things should provide me with enough spare parts for awhile.

I've got a crazy idea for one of these. My parents own a small beach house in a campground at the beach and the campground does not allow gasoline powered vehicles (other than cars) in the campground. Everything else must be battery powered (golf-karts, scooters, etc.)

I'm wondering if I can put an electric motor on it and use three lawnmower batteries to power the motor.

I figure I can use a fog light relay and an on/off switch (maybe the starter switch) to activate the motor. So the motor will be operated in bursts. Speed up then coast.

Finding a "cheap" 3 hp motor is going to be the biggest issue. I've got plenty of Fiat/Yugo starters but I don't think using a starter as a motor would work since they would probably get hot fast.

The main reason for this is during the peak season, there is almost no place to park a golf kart. So if my daughter and I wanted to go to the beach, get ice cream or go to the pool, I could always park it off the curb.

I don't know what kind of range this thing would have though. The campground is pretty big.

Lots of YouTube videos using car starter motors and clothes washing machine motors. I think what you want is very doable.

/

Old 06-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Lots of YouTube videos using car starter motors and clothes washing machine motors. I think what you want is very doable.

/
I'll check it out.

I picked up the bikes yesterday. I snapped some photos but can't post them directly due to my company's filter on Photobucket. So they are down at the bottom of this link.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/tur...?sort=2&page=2

Two of these engines look older than the ones I'm used to seeing. They made by Linhai and they have kick starters. The larger two also look better built. I'm hoping I can get at least one of the larger bikes running.

One of these has a foot brake instead of the usual hand brake.

And one or two has cable operated drum brakes on the front and a drum on the rear.

Kind of a mishmash of different stuff but luckily allot of the parts are interchangeable.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #10

Have you got a better set of rear wheels for your daughters bike in the pile ?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
Have you got a better set of rear wheels for your daughters bike in the pile ?
I think so.

Seems like four out of the five have a three bolt pattern. Some tires/wheels are smaller than others.

One good thing, I think some of the rear springs/shocks on a couple of these bikes are much stronger than the one I've got on my daughter's bike causing the chain to rub into the frame when it compresses.