Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #1

XF200 Odd starter issue and clutch question

I recently got an XF200 and have been doing some maintenance to ensure it is safe to ride and to my liking. I am having an issue when using the electric start, mostly it just doesn't work. I hear it engage but it doesn't seem to have enough to get the bike going, almost sounds like its jamming. pulled the starter out and it will spin freely when using pressing the starter button. Bike will start with using the kick start, sometimes that feels like it jams also though.

Second concern is the clutch and it not fully disengaging. I get a slight lurch forward when put into first gear, bike does not stall or change idle though. Is thsi normal or is something in need of adjusting? When on a stand and in first gear, the wheel will still turn with clutch engaged. Is this just the common characteristic of a wet clutch or signs of other issue? Thanks for any advise you can all offer.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

With the Hondoid bikes which most of us have, it seems one of the first places to look is to make sure the battery is fully charged. Otherwise, the bikes seem like there is an issue. Sounds simplistic, but I am sure your Suzuki-based engine is the same. These bikes will turn over using the kick-starter even with a mostly dead battery (again--Honda-ish engines, but should be the same across brands).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #3

Forgot to mention, checked battery voltage with bike off and was at 12.03 volts, did not check voltage while turned on though.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
With the Hondoid bikes which most of us have, it seems one of the first places to look is to make sure the battery is fully charged. ... even with a mostly dead battery (again--Honda-ish engines, but should be the same across brands...
+1. Q's stock battery (9ah in black) are famous for short life... Stator's wiring quality also not that great...
Yes or No... This Suzuki family's ignitor relies on reliable DC supply...
The trick: https://translate.google.com/transla...thorid%3D75082
Fix that mystery black box: https://translate.google.com/transla...%3D2&sandbox=1

Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #5

Second and third about the battery. I had an XF and the bike will start and idle fine with a bad battery. It bogs down when given gas, though. These bikes will not run without a battery.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttputt View Post
I recently got an XF200 and have been doing some maintenance to ensure it is safe to ride and to my liking. I am having an issue when using the electric start, mostly it just doesn't work. I hear it engage but it doesn't seem to have enough to get the bike going, almost sounds like its jamming. pulled the starter out and it will spin freely when using pressing the starter button. Bike will start with using the kick start, sometimes that feels like it jams also though.

Second concern is the clutch and it not fully disengaging. I get a slight lurch forward when put into first gear, bike does not stall or change idle though. Is thsi normal or is something in need of adjusting? When on a stand and in first gear, the wheel will still turn with clutch engaged. Is this just the common characteristic of a wet clutch or signs of other issue? Thanks for any advise you can all offer.
Adjusting the clutch cable should solve your lurch problems when shifting into gear.

If the starting problem can't be linked to a low/bad battery, it could be a problem with the internal starter clutch. I've ran into it before on other bikes that aren't china bikes. If this is the case, replacement parts may be difficult to find.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
...replacement parts may be difficult to find.
State the # as in http://www.xn--27-mlclar8c6av.xn--p1ai/files/3_1.pdf if had difficites... There're alternative http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14466 exists...

Old 02-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #8

I'm in the "replace with known good battery" crowd. I just had to put one in my XP200. I find the (N)Everstarts from Wally World seem to treat me well if you let them do the needed soak time (after you dump in the acid) and do the initial charge on no more than a 1.5amp trickler. I get good life out of them then.

Also, adjust the clutch. Sounds like the cable has stretched some.
With my XP200 and like most of my China Bikes, if it's sat for a week or better, sometimes you get a lurch the first time putting it in gear, when cold. Then it's fine after that.

The XF200 is cool. Please post pics.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #9

Also, many 08/09 Suzuki DR125/200 parts will fit on your bike. Cables, clutch, other engine parts.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttputt View Post

While I am no expert on anything electrical, I have had starter problems like you describe before. The way I made sure the battery had enough "sack" to start the engine was to jump the battery off of my pick-up. If it would crank the engine good with the jumper cables hooked up, but wouldn't without the jumpers, it meant a defective battery. As far as kick starting goes, try putting it in gear, backing up until compression stops the bike, put it back in neutral and try the kick starter. If it kicks through, kick starter is ok. if it jams, problem with the kick starter mechanism inside the cases.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #11

Thank you all for the info, looks like you are all right and its coming down to the battery on start issue. Battery was showing 12.03v and would not start, kick started and let is run for 10 minutes, turned it off and battery read 12.66 and would then start with electric start a couple times. Let bike sit for an hour and battery dropped to 12.02 and electric start would once again not have enough to turn over engine. Seems battery is not holding full charge. Going to tackle clutch adjustment tonight. Once its all back together and running I'll post some pics of other changes made. Thanks again everyone!

Old 02-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #12

I direct everyone to these guys--I bought one of the gel batteries and it lasted for two years, and the only reason it failed was that I parked the bike on my carport for 6 months and did not disconnect the battery and the terminal started corroding. Actually during the 6 months, probably about 3 months into it sitting, I started the bike up (which shows how reliable the Zongshen OEM engine and whatever carb TMEC used on my enduro are) and it started with not issues. Then it sat another 3 months and the terminal had corroded and I could not get it off and it broke off thanks to the buildup of corrosion when I tried to remove the battery.

You will have to measure your physical battery for size unless they have a similar model number to yours. Customer service is not their fine suit, but the prices are good.

http://www.t-motorsports.com/batteries/?sort=priceasc

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
You will have to measure your physical battery for size unless ...
前人種樹,後人乘涼 Heirs enjoys the pears http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=9400 which means YTX9-BS (the low profile YTZ10S had higher CCA...)

Last edited by humanbeing; 02-11-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #14

12.03 volts is on the low side but should be enough... should be in the low 13s fully charged...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 02-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
State the # as in http://www.xn--27-mlclar8c6av.xn--p1ai/files/3_1.pdf if had difficites... There're alternative http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14466 exists...
Thanks. The PDF wouldn't come up for me.