Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #1

Complete Newbie from Los Angeles, please help!

Hello all! I've been looking through the forums and I've decided to buy a Chinese Enduro style bike. I'm a full-time student and worker so I'm strapped for cash and these seem like a perfect solution.
You guys all seem so helpful, so I was wondering if you could give me some advice.
Since I live in California, I can only register a DOT approved bike (I think). I was trying to get a Lifan from motoxtreme.net, but I was told that they can't be shipped to California.
So, I am wondering where I can buy a RELIABLE bike from a RELIABLE dealer with a good shipping situation. I've been looking at the Shinerays and Hi-Birds but from what people are saying they don't seem as high-quality as Lifans.
I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thank you so much!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #2

Also, I will be using the bike primarily to commute with no trails involved. Do you guys know of any better commuting options? Or maybe I should just go with the Shineray?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #3

Ironically, Lifan is one of the few 49 state DOT/EPA China bikes, and even those cannot be registered in Calif! Jetmoto has green-sticker approval, so you could theoretically buy one, but no guarantee to register it :? UM (formerly United Motors) has the only registerable Chinese enduro, but costs twice (or more) as much as the majority of these bikes costs. However, they are still cheaper than the Japanese competition, and do come with a killer warranty. Can't remember the name, but there is a dealer in Chatsworth--check the UM site for them and others.

That being said, there are some Chinese enduros that have been registered successfully. Perhaps it is still possible, or maybe the loopholes have closed. Someone posted this about California recently:

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=2362

Check on the S. California Craigslists as there are a few bikes that show up periodically. The lack of resale can get you a great deal on one of these. It seems that they should be worth more in California due to the difficulty of street registering, but that shouldn't be revealed to the seller :wink: .

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #4

Here is another thread regarding registering. If you search through it, member 'mazotto' said that he and his brother registered two Roketas in N. California.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...a+registration

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #5

I bought mine off graigslist and got a great deal on a great used chinese dual sport. It was registered, so I did not have to worry with it. I think in California you might think about doing something similar, that way you don't have to hassle with the paper work.

Just my 2 cents.

ex.
http://modesto.craigslist.org/mcy/446036129.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/441325313.html
http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/436221320.html
http://monterey.craigslist.org/mcy/445321237.html

Old 10-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #6

If I were using it for strictly commuting, I would go with a 250cc scooter. Much more comfy and smoother.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #7

not to start a war, but I ride a shineray and my friends and I ride the shit out of it and I have not had half the problems that the lifan owners have here. Examples include:

major (even minor) bolts coming off or loose
battery falling off (the battery is under the seat)
brittle plastic (very flexible and strong)
speedo cable breaking
rear disk break swelling (I havent had to adjust it at all)
headlight problems (shineray comes stock with a halogen headlight)
weld problems
poor exhaust (well this one is a toss up since I dont like the dual exhaust set up)

Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #8

Indirt
I found this surfing the internet. It a dealer in LA that says on his website

Quote:
Note: This products is also available for California Legal
It's worth an email to him to see if it's true, he's in LA click the directions link.

http://www.viva-motors.com/dirt-bike-200cc-enduro.html

Old 10-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by srreynolds2003
Indirt

Quote:
It's worth an email to him to see if it's true, he's in LA click the directions link.

I'd ask to see some proof before I believed ANYTHING the internet dealers say. My Roketa was sold to me as completely EPA/DOT complient. It is NEITHER, and I am lucky I squeeked it by the DMV for registration.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
My Roketa was sold to me as completely EPA/DOT complient. It is NEITHER, and I am luck I squeeked it by the DMV for registration.
Yeah I guess some states are more strict than others. I had absolutely no problems with any of mine. Good thing, cause I would have found a way to drive it anyway.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 10-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by srreynolds2003
Indirt

Quote:

The problem with being Calif. legal is that Calif. enforces off-road registration. Many of these bikes are not even legal for off-road due to emissions compliance issues (i.e. Lifan), as Calif. is very strict in this area, so the ones that are approved are green stickered (unlimited off-road use) or red stickered (limited to certain times of year off-road). Then, they advertise as being C.A.R.B. (the Calif. agency that regulates all motorized vehicles; a much more strict state run EPA) legal, but they don't clarify that their vehicle is legal for off-road only use. In the fine print they mention that they cannot guarantee street-legality, but as they want to move their vehicles, they insinuate that they are street legal. I think the only street-registerable Chinese enduro bike is the Skyteam, sold by UM--expensive as far as Chinese bikes go, so kind of defeats the purpose of buying a "cheap" bike.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #12

That's good info. Vermont is in the process of adopting CA emmisions regs. Our new cars and trucks already have to meet CA requirements. We ARE the Green Mountain State. Won't be long before motorcycles and snowmobiles are on the chopping block. Hopefully, I'll be grandfathered in at that point.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #13

Arizona recently had talks about having off-road vehicles registered with off-road registration, but it was shot down. I think AZ likes to keep itself as "not California" but more liberals are moving here, and I am sure they will have a hand in creating laws to erode our freedoms, and make us more "California friendly" or at least "California-like." We did just pass some stricter smoking laws--our street-legal quads will be next!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 PM   #14

Hi everybody,
I'm still looking for a bike. I called up TXXmotorsports and they told me they have street-legal Shineray enduros/dual-purpose bikes available. The only problem is they're located in the city of Orange in Orange County, CA, which is about a 2 hour drive for me. I am wondering if you knew if the Shinerays are dependable, easy to maintain bikes (I've read pretty good things about them) and if you're in the area, maybe you can stop by and take a look. Thank you!
Here is the map
http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/#mvt=m&ma...3.806699&mag=3

Best wishes,
Jon

Old 10-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #15

The Shinerays are basically identical to a Roketa. I think it will be a fine choice and just as dependable as any other China DS. Go for it. Just make absolute sure it can be registered and ridden in CA.