Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #1

A little help please

Hello guys and gals... My name is Dorian... I'm new to the forums. Sorry for not using the search engine but I been searching for days now on Google and I'm kind of burned out.

Long story short. I bought a roketa atv for my son and I need a bit of help putting it back together. The are had a broken crank case or what ever you call it. (Part where the starter gets bolted on).

I picked up a 2nd engine that was in good condition with no cracks on the case and picked up a bunch of other parts with it as well.

Giving that the atv was already in pieces I have no idea where half the stuff goes. I started putting it back together and I replaced the starter and carburetor.

But now there is a few wires and hoses that I have no idea where they go. I tried looking for a service manual but had no luck. The atv is a 72cc shinray/roketa.

I have never worked or messed with an atv before so im clueless, so thanks in advance for your help.

1) the drain hose for the carburetor, does it plug in anywhere? Or just hangs there?

2) there is a wire that hangs from the starter solenoid that looks like it needs to be bolted down but I have no idea where. It maybe nothing, I can remove it if needed. I'm going to attach a pic just in case it is important.

3) gas tank cap, it has a hose on it. Where does it plug in to? Does it just go in the little hole by the handle and drain down to vent?

4) what oil does this thing run? 10/30w like my John deere? And how much? Lol

5) what plugs can I run and what gap?

6) what can I trouble shoot if it doesn't want to start? I tried cranking it and had no luck. Battery is good, I hear the starter kicking, engine tries to turn, but doesn't fire up. I do hear some exhaust puffs from the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (9.9 KB, 175 views)

Old 05-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #2

Here is the picture of the carburetor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.4 KB, 169 views)

Old 05-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDown13X View Post
Hello guys and gals... My name is Dorian... I'm new to the forums. Sorry for not using the search engine but I been searching for days now on Google and I'm kind of burned out.

Long story short. I bought a roketa atv for my son and I need a bit of help putting it back together. The are had a broken crank case or what ever you call it. (Part where the starter gets bolted on).

I picked up a 2nd engine that was in good condition with no cracks on the case and picked up a bunch of other parts with it as well.

Giving that the atv was already in pieces I have no idea where half the stuff goes. I started putting it back together and I replaced the starter and carburetor.

But now there is a few wires and hoses that I have no idea where they go. I tried looking for a service manual but had no luck. The atv is a 72cc shinray/roketa.

I have never worked or messed with an atv before so im clueless, so thanks in advance for your help.

1) the drain hose for the carburetor, does it plug in anywhere? Or just hangs there? (It just hangs there)

2) there is a wire that hangs from the starter solenoid that looks like it needs to be bolted down but I have no idea where. It maybe nothing, I can remove it if needed. I'm going to attach a pic just in case it is important. (Search Google for a wiring diagram that's what I did and it helped me out a lot. Do you have a few more photos that would help. Power wire from battery to one side of solenoid and the other side goes from solenoid to starter.)

3) gas tank cap, it has a hose on it. Where does it plug in to? Does it just go in the little hole by the handle and drain down to vent? (This is just a vent hose, doesn't plug to anything, I usually stuff mine down a hole in the middle of my handle bars.)

4) what oil does this thing run? 10/30w like my John deere? And how much? Lol (If this is an automatic transmission, You need to use oil that is wet clutch friendly)

5) what plugs can I run and what gap?

6) what can I trouble shoot if it doesn't want to start? I tried cranking it and had no luck. Battery is good, I hear the starter kicking, engine tries to turn, but doesn't fire up. I do hear some exhaust puffs from the back.
(Most of these ATV's have several safety features that will prevent them from starting. Brake must be applied, remote kill switch, key in the on position, and also a plug at the back of the ATV that usally get attached to a cord so the parent can walk/run behind and if the kid is heading into an unsafe situation you just pull the cord and it activates a switch and stops the motor.

I have done exactly the same thing as you. So I am also still learning. But I have managed to buy a machine for cheap throw a few dollars into it and time and now I have a great little machine for the kids.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
...Most of these ATV's have several safety features that will prevent them from starting. Brake must be applied...
Basic electrics as http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16250

Old 05-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

Welcome!

1. The carb drain hose should just be routed down, away from exhaust heat. There is usually a little chrome clip that secures it, but a zip tie will work.

2. That wire comes from the starter solenoid? Please show us the other end of the wire.

3. The gas cap vent hose just needs to routed safely away from the rider. Forward is best.

4. I'd use Rotella 15W40 from Walmart. I know it says diesel on the bottle; that's ok.

5. NGK C7HSA if in a colder area, C7HSA if it's hot out. Gap is .028" (0.7mm)

6. Did the engine crank, despite the solenoid wire not being attached, or did you jump the solenoid?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome!

1. The carb drain hose should just be routed down, away from exhaust heat. There is usually a little chrome clip that secures it, but a zip tie will work.

Cool I'm going to secure it with a zip tie since I didn't see a clip for it.

2. That wire comes from the starter solenoid? Please show us the other end of the wire.

I'm going to try to take a pic later today, it just has a ring end to it.

3. The gas cap vent hose just needs to routed safely away from the rider. Forward is best.

I put the hose in the little hole by the handle bar, seems to be the perfect size for it, I will snap a pic of that too later

4. I'd use Rotella 15W40 from Walmart. I know it says diesel on the bottle; that's ok.

OK I'm going to grab some. Do you happen to know how much oil I need to put in there? Do I top it off? Engine doesn't have an oil filter so im wondering if it works like my air compresor. Sorry I'm such a noob, I'm clueless lol

5. NGK C7HSA if in a colder area, C7HSA if it's hot out. Gap is .028" (0.7mm)

Got it, thanks

6. Did the engine crank, despite the solenoid wire not being attached, or did you jump the solenoid?

Yeah the engine was cracking up, even with that wire not connected, just didn't fire up all the way.
Thanks again for all the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.2 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by SunDown13X; 05-09-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #7

Here is the pic of that cable that was connected to the starter solenoid... Actually can someone tell me what needs to be connected there just to double check. All I got there are 3 red wires including the starter. The black wire was there but it wasn't connected anywhere.

Starter on the yellow side and the other two red on the blue side. Which one leads to the battery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.6 KB, 165 views)

Old 05-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #8

Here is a pic of the mess I'm dealing with. The previous owner hacked the crap of it. (electrical)

The key has been by-passed and there is a lot of wires just hanging there. I started to put some of them together but not necessarily connect them since I need to figure out where they go and what they do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160509_215727.jpg (94.8 KB, 155 views)

Old 05-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #9

Kill switch is missing. This may be a real why is not firing... How do I by-pass it? If not how can I make it work without the switch can I make one or get a different one? Any ideas?

Old 05-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #10

The kill switch is not necessary to start the bike ,it just grounds out the ignition coil to shut the bike off so the bike will run without it .
Can you tell us the colour of all the wires coming out of the engines left side at the top of the case .

Old 05-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #11

This looks exactly like what I did a few weekends ago... I had my kids atv rigged up with a switch connected to both sides of the solenoid.... until I had time to sit down and trace all the wires... managed to get everything working perfectly... your machine looks very similar to mine.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #12

This is the wiring diagram I used to trace all the components and wires... hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-04-17-01-04-07.jpg (9.2 KB, 315 views)

Old 05-10-2016, 12:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
This is the wiring diagram I used to trace all the components and wires... hope this helps.
great going cherokee... and wiring is not the easiest thing
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #14

Only 2 wires should be bolted onto the solenoid in the picture below I see a few others. Red wire from battery to one side of solenoid and the other side of solenoid should go to starter. Negative side of battery should have a black wire and a green wire which will be grounded. Solenoid should get plugged into wiring harness. You should have another smaller gauge red wire that goes from battery to wiring harness which should have an inline fuse (10A) this powers all the safety crap... (key, apply brakes to start....)

Keep us updated on your progress and pictures are always helpful.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #15

Oil will be less than 1 litre; just use the dipstick as a guide, but don't screw it in when checking the level.

There is a filter, but you have to remove the right side engine cover to access it; just forget it for now.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer