Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #1

Found another minor vibration

I've done a pretty good job of eliminating my annoying vibes but there's been a weird sounding one I couldn't find. Finally found it tonight. Sounded like it was coming from around the skidplate but I had already mounted it with thick rubber washers. It was the part of the engine that sticks down in front of the oil drain screw rubbing on the skidplate and/or (did both at the same time) the rear part of the skidplate buzzing on the swingarm. Just bent it down a little with pliers. Took it for a spin and the sound it gone. Happy!!!
Maybe this will help someone else.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to ayjay1975
I had a similar problem.

My skid plate vibrated against the casing in front of the oil drain plug.

I ground it down a little and stopped the vibration. A little like scraping burnt toast though. The real peoblem is the unbalanacedd engine in these units. I replaced mine with an OHC engine and cannotbelieve the difference. It's AWESOME.

http://thedillweed.com

Old 09-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #3

Recently went on a 100 mile ride to Albany, New York...on my return trip i noticed some pretty loud and severe vibrations occuring. Since it was very late at night i just marathon'd it home and then took a look. It turns out the skid plate front engine bolt head (3/8"), had literally sheared off. I was shocked!! The skid plate was just hanging by it's rear bolts and flapping in the breeze. The really rough part was that the bolt itself was still all the way screwed into the built in nut housing on the engine. I had to purchase a set of "grabit style" stripped bolt remover bits. Needless to say they worked perfectly and allowed me to remove the damage bolt remains...I then replaced the bolt with a new 3/8" bolt (one of the extra ones from the shipping crate)...and used a bit of red locktite to insure it doesn't unscrew. Anyway...should be good unless this bolt head sheers off too....weird!!

Good thing i kept all thirty or so 3/8" bolts from the shipping crate as extras...

Anyway...no more vibes!!
DB-P12 Shineray Speedee 200 169LFM

Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #4

I replaced mine with 3/8 grade 8 bolts from ACE. Hopefully won't be shearing them off.

Allen

Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax
Recently went on a 100 mile ride to Albany, New York...on my return trip i noticed some pretty loud and severe vibrations occuring. Since it was very late at night i just marathon'd it home and then took a look. It turns out the skid plate front engine bolt head (3/8"), had literally sheared off. I was shocked!! The skid plate was just hanging by it's rear bolts and flapping in the breeze. The really rough part was that the bolt itself was still all the way screwed into the built in nut housing on the engine. I had to purchase a set of "grabit style" stripped bolt remover bits. Needless to say they worked perfectly and allowed me to remove the damage bolt remains...I then replaced the bolt with a new 3/8" bolt (one of the extra ones from the shipping crate)...and used a bit of red locktite to insure it doesn't unscrew. Anyway...should be good unless this bolt head sheers off too....weird!!

Good thing i kept all thirty or so 3/8" bolts from the shipping crate as extras...

Anyway...no more vibes!!
Those crate bolts will get you by for now, but they are probably made of cheap, soft steel that will snap off before long. It would be a good idea to stop at a hardware store and get grade 8 bolts to replace them with.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #6

I bought all the bolts except the long one for about $13 at ACE hardware.

No problems since and it has been about 1500 miles on them with some hard riding, jumps, high speed vibes.

Allen