Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #1

Should I buy a Hi-Bird or not?

I just found a pretty good deal on an 06 Hi Bird... $400, it runs and everything is there...Mostly I want the swingarm and rear disc setup, the rest of the bike would go up for parts, with the possible exception of the engine, which I'd like to mod just to see what hp numbers I could get out of it. (the low buck approach,carb, port, polish and whatever I need to do to bump the compression up).
Anyone need some Hi Bird parts?

Old 09-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #2

not familiar with the High-Birds, but it sounds like a pretty good deal.

If its similar to my Roketa i may hit you up for some parts. I'm gonna be needed body plastics soon. Tank covers and side covers.

The Ratketa Blog

Old 09-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #3

Is it the enduro? If it is, then its 200cc. Sounds like a good deal, and the bike is essentially a clone of the Lifan GY200-2 bike, so the body panels should fit that Lifan model. Tom from RPM sells Hi-Birds, so could give you advice. If its the enduro, 200cc, running well, and seems to be in order, buy it as it would be worth more for the engine and parts alone. Get the title, however.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #4

Yeah, it's the 200cc non-counterbalanced Lifan engine, which is why I'm interested in playing with the engine, what works on it will work on my Lifan. If it dosen't work I'm not out of a ride.
And it has a clear Tennessee title, which increases it's value as a parts bike. The guy said the bike has been down once and is scratched, but how bad I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
Is it the enduro? If it is, then its 200cc. Sounds like a good deal, and the bike is essentially a clone of the Lifan GY200-2 bike, so the body panels should fit that Lifan model. Tom from RPM sells Hi-Birds, so could give you advice. If its the enduro, 200cc, running well, and seems to be in order, buy it as it would be worth more for the engine and parts alone. Get the title, however.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #5

Why not part it out? For that kind of money you could make a huge profit. Enough to buy a much better bike.

Just a thought!

SamM (The bike killer) Killing bikes for the betterment of society!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 09-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
Why not part it out? For that kind of money you could make a huge profit. Enough to buy a much better bike.

Just a thought!

SamM (The bike killer) Killing bikes for the betterment of society!
That song keeps playing in my head too. I could part out the Hi-Bird and maybe even my Lifan and most likely have enough for a decent used Jap bike. The problem is,I located a 98 DR 350 for $600. The guy selling it says it dosent want to idle (but it sat for a year, so I'm thinkng "easy fix"). That would rule out getting the HiBird, but I could sell/part out my Lifan and more than cover the cost of the DR and it's repair costs. I really would make no sense to fool around with building a China bike when there are so many really good used Jap bikes out there.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Posted by: knothead
That song keeps playing in my head too. I could part out the Hi-Bird and maybe even my Lifan and most likely have enough for a decent used Jap bike. The problem is, I located a 98 DR350 for $600. The guy selling it says it dosent want to idle (but it sat for a year, so I'm thinkng "easy fix"). That would rule out getting the Hi-Bird, but I could sell/part out my Lifan and more than cover the cost of the DR and it's repair costs. I really would make no sense to fool around with building a China bike when there are so many really good used Jap bikes out there.
Sure it does! Especially, if you can get one for free! Why not buy the DR350 and part out the Lifan. I bet you could find a nice fixer upper for what's leftover, after you paid yourself back the $600 you spent on the DR. :wink: Of course, you could buy the Hi-Bird and part out it and the Lifan. You'd have enough to get domrthing much better than the $600 DR350.

These chinabikes are going to get a lot better in the near future. It would be a shame to miss out on all the fun!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II