Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #1

Reviving a craigslist Taotao 50cc

PIcked up a 2014 ATM50-A1 off Craigslist for $100. It was in really rough shape but I wanted something cheap and easy to learn repair on. Seller described it as "will start, won't idle".

I don't know anyone could beat a scooter this badly in so short a time. I have only found one body panel so far that isn't damaged. Fasteners rounded off, stuff just hacked together.

After reading on this forum here's the stuff I did before attempting to start. [Added: which it did. Starts fine now]
  • replaced fuel lines and filter
  • replaced vacuum lines
  • replaced stock plug with NGK
  • replaced aftermarket (blue "racing") CDI with stock, as I'd read the racing ones advanced spark even at low RPM and could cause hard starting
  • replaced kickstarter parts as the helical gears, bushing, etc, were broken
  • changed engine oil to Rotella diesel 15w-40
  • replaced transmission oil with 80w-90
  • cleaned and lighted greased appropriate bits as I encountered them
  • replaced nuts and bolts as needed, blue loctite when reassembling
  • replaced worn OEM belt with Gates
  • [Added] checked valve clearance; set exhaust side

Other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

Going to take it out on the patio for subsequent starts. I have a monster attic fan running which kept me alive during this short first run. :-)

More news as I figure stuff out.

Past: Honda NC700x, Suzuki DR650, Taotao ATM-50-A1, Taotao Evo 150cc, Honda Spree 50 2str, 1982 Katana 550

Last edited by fratermus; 09-12-2015 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added valve clearance

Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

Ughhh, can't edit the first post to add a very short startup video link:

[Added: hmmm, can edit in firefox but not in Chromium]

Past: Honda NC700x, Suzuki DR650, Taotao ATM-50-A1, Taotao Evo 150cc, Honda Spree 50 2str, 1982 Katana 550

Last edited by fratermus; 09-12-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Taotao 50cc . . won't idle
Related . . also check valve clearance.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

Forgot to add that I did check/set the valve clearance. Intake was fine [at .04mm]; exhaust was tight [so I set it to .05mm].

Just got back from a test run. Pulled fine up to an indicated top speed of around 42mph. I guessing that's about 35mph actual. Regardless, it was fast enough for me on that wheelbase and with that tire size.

CVT acted fine, keeping the rpm steady as speed climbed. No weird behavior. This is my first CVT so it will require some brain remapping until this "same rpm" thing sinks in.

I had a 50cc Honda Spree before. It was a 2t and lighter so I would have expected it to be quicker, but the Spree had just the fixed speed. I was a little surprised how well the Taotao pulled around my 190#.

Last edited by fratermus; 09-12-2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added clearance

Old 09-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #5

You've done all the right things; excellent job.

The idle in the video sounds a little high to me. Have you tried turning the idle speed down? If you do, does it stall?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #6

Yes, I turned the idle speed down further than in the video. It hasn't stalled yet. I'll post another video of it running outdoors where the sound is more normal. Yes, I'm a bachelor and was doing the work in my living room. :-)

I just did 2 turns out on the idle mixture screw to get it in the ballpark. I need to watch another vid on tuning so I can set the mix better and set a correct idle.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have found a lot of good advice in your posts specifically.

Last edited by fratermus; 09-14-2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: s/low/idle/g

Old 09-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #7

Happy to serve.

When you have some miles on your new scoot, perhaps you'd consider a free-flowing muffler, a pod filter and some fatter jets. That'll be a worth a few mph.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #8

Update: the little 50cc is running fine. There are still some issues but I've largely stopped active work on it since I'm having $&^@ trying to get the title sorted. I am in communication with the original (actual) owner; he seems willing to help but keeps losing the paperwork I send him. :-(

I'll use this one for bashing around the microRanch and letting people learn on. I've picked up another cheap CL scoot (better title sitaution, everything signed by the single owner who also signed my TX title app, bill of sale, etc). I'll put that scoot in its own thread.