Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

Five hundred horsepower!!!

Actually, 502 to be exact.

The dealer who sold me my Enfield is also a Boss Hoss dealer. Ron and Jennifer and I became friends quickly and they offered if I wanted to ride a Boss Hoss. They had about 8 to choose from. I was blessed to ride two. One with 450 HP the other with 502 HP.

I was very intimidated by the power and ridiculous size of these vehicles. They make my Gold Wing feel like a moped, and my Ducati feel like a weak accelerator. The smaller one weighed about 1,100 pounds, the larger about 1,400 pounds. My Gold Wing, immense in its own right, is a paltry 850 for comparison.

I did fine on a little local ride, so we took them up into the mountains outside of Warren, Oregon.

The power is obscene.

It has a 2 speed manually shifted automatic with a torque convertor. Plus reverse.

1st gear can be used at any speed from 0 to 140 MPH.

Second is used for 'cruising' once you are maintaining speed above about 50 MPH to make the motor quiet down.

Straight pipes lumpy cam. Crazy stuff.

The bike will EASILY spin the rear wheel at ANY speed. Including well over 100 MPH. Going 70 and want to go 100? Open the throttle and hold on as the bike fishtails its rear tire into smoke. Amazing.

The whole time it is torquing side to side each time you shift or roll on or off the throttle. A LOT. Massive rotating mass situated longitudinally in the frame.

I was literally laughing inside my helmet, and singing. It was an amazing experience.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #2

This is the 502 HP one. The black one was 450 HP. The red one has an aluminum block and the black one is cast iron. You can feel the weight difference. The red one is a 'Sport' model with a shorter wheelbase and less rake in the steering, and no saddlebags.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #3

I saw a nice looking BH while bicycling last week. Couldn't understand the need for a nitrous bottle on a bike with that much HP at the rear wheel.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 05-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #4

There is no way in the laws of physics to get that kind of power to the pavement. If 'X' HP will cause wheelspin X+100 won't make you go faster.

I thought about it...

A new Ducati Panigale makes 200 HP and weighs about 361 pounds. A better power to weight ratio than even the 502 HP BH.

I doubt it will accelerate any faster because it can't. It would flip over if the pilot used all it's power.

On the other hand, the Duck can turn, stop, and frankly outperform just about any production motorcycle ever made. The Boss Hoss is a one trick pony. Acceleration. And what a trick!!

The Duck costs about 1/3 what the Boss Hoss does also...

Old 05-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #5

I bet my Zong could win a race with those Boss Hoss bikes...on rocky, Idaho dual track.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-26-2014, 02:05 AM   #6

Those are the best example of silly excess I can think of. I'd love to twist the throttle on one.

IIRC, I read that the transmission is loosely based on a Powerglide. I'd love to learn how the power is transferred 90 degrees in such a short case.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #7

i think the red one would suit me, it is lighter and i am a sporty kind of guy but how much are those things?

Old 05-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #8

And Big Gulp probably gets the same mileage. They both have larger engines.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #9

How much they cost I don't know I didn't ask! I know that the trikes are in the $50,000 bracket so I'd guess the bikes to be about $35,000-40,000? It's one of those things I knew that for someone who wants one he price doesn't matter.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #10

Weld the transmission fascinated me. Able to handle 500+ HP and it was the size of maybe 2-3 shoeboxes wih a 90 degree transfer. It's a proprietary Boss Hoss product not used on anything else. My guess it that the effective maximum power it deals with is limited by wheel spin. I was also thinking it is probably more than 500 foot lbs of torque. The Ducati may have a better HP to weight ratio but no way a better torque to weight ratio.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #11

Spud your Zong would win that race for sure and the rider would have just as much fun. The only way the BH could win would be to warp the time space continuum wih its torque. It can do that. Kato, the BH gets 25-30 mpg.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #12

Something to clarify. I did not personally do a 100 mph burnout that's just what the bike can do. I did ride it fast enough to make my eyes as wide as saucers and provoke the need for a change of underpants.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Something to clarify. I did not personally do a 100 mph burnout that's just what the bike can do. I did ride it fast enough to make my eyes as wide as saucers and provoke the need for a change of underpants.
Code brown!

What was the highest rpm you saw in second?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #14

Don't really know. Sensory overload, I could not look at the instruments. It did not help the tachometer was really only about 1/2 of a 2 inch circle. Tiny.