Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #1

Chinese bikes overview thread.

May I suggest a thread (possibly a sticky) that is a library of info on the Chinese bike industry in general, and specific brands when applicable.

For example, articles like this...
http://twofiftymag.com/2011/06/top-t...cle-companies/

I suggest this because its pretty hard for a newcomer to get a handle on what he's actually riding. Is it bike made by a serious motorcycle manufacturer? Or is it just a collection of assorted bits and pieces assembled by a sweatshop?

Any thoughts?

Maybe the more experienced members could also add their own articles to the knowledge bank.

Skyteam GT200. Honda '84 CT125 Ag bike.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #2

"Or is it just a collection of assorted bits and pieces assembled by a sweatshop?"

Yes.

Exceptions are the Zongshen Yamaha clone and the Q-Link Suzuki clone.

For the most part CB's are CB's. Honda clones. All have similar and somewhat interchangeable parts manufactured by various unaccounted for/unnamed factories and assembled by countless manufacturers and shipped to countless distributers/importers.

Mix and match, kinda like a Chinese Mr. Potatohead.

In some cases the only differences are the decals, and even they are somewhat random/misleading.

Nothing bad about this, they are good bikes for what they are, but except for the two exceptions above (others may chime in with more), generalizations about quality are impossible.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 AM   #3

Thanks for posting the informative link. I only recognized five of the ten manufacturers listed.

Loncin
Lifan
Zongshen
Jianshi Yamaha
Jialing

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-26-2013, 01:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Mix and match, kinda like a Chinese Mr. Potatohead.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemysa View Post
May I suggest a thread (possibly a sticky) that is a library of info on the Chinese bike industry in general, and specific brands when applicable.

For example, articles like this...
http://twofiftymag.com/2011/06/top-t...cle-companies/

I suggest this because its pretty hard for a newcomer to get a handle on what he's actually riding. Is it bike made by a serious motorcycle manufacturer? Or is it just a collection of assorted bits and pieces assembled by a sweatshop?

Any thoughts?

Maybe the more experienced members could also add their own articles to the knowledge bank.
I agree mate. Too bad we don't have a listing of the engine numbers by displacement and engine type, such as 167FML or 167FMM, or ZS169FML as compared to ZS169FMM. The difference between a 200cc or 250cc. I have found great difficultly myself, deciphering the chinenglish numerical japanese versions of the clones, most being based on the CB or CG engine types.

China is a huge factor in the manufacture of 2 and 3 wheel vehicles. The difference being who is supervising the operation. I happen to own 3 United Motors bikes and have found the quality to be superior to the run of the mill chinese off-brands. The Vento 200-GY2 also seems to have been manufactured with a higher standard of quality. And as FastDoc said, Zongshen, the manufacture of the Vento and Q-Link, the MFR, are of a higher quality as well.

Last edited by oviking99; 09-26-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #6

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ull=1#post5529

Old 09-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Speaking of mychinamoto, humanbeing, member MJH (known here on chinariders as Oengus) finds many facts about the Chinese motorcycle industry, including the top 50 manufacturers.

Oviking, which United Motors bikes do you own? If you have one of the 200s, those are Skyteam manufactured, which has a great reputation for quality as far as Chinese bikes go.

Alchemysa, you guys have a full lineup of Skyteam bikes (more than we get in the US) and like I mentioned, are known for high quality, especially their replica of the old Honda CT 70 (not sure if it was named that in Australia, too).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post

Alchemysa, you guys have a full lineup of Skyteam bikes (more than we get in the US) and like I mentioned, are known for high quality, especially their replica of the old Honda CT 70 (not sure if it was named that in Australia, too).
I'm not sure what the deal is with Skyteam. My guess is they are just an 'assembler' who'll builds whatever anyone wants, so theres not much consistency of models. Perhaps they at least make their own frames. My bike has a Loncin engine which I believe is reasonably good quality.

The Australian website is 'down'. http://www.skyteam.com.au/

The Chinese website is fancy but not very informative. http://www.skyteam.cn

The company name is actually JIANGSU SACIN MOTORCYCLE CO. LTD.
http://www.cantonfair360.com/index.php?homepage=gs13552
http://skyteam.en.alibaba.com/

The UM bikes are/were very similar. Perhaps made by the same company.

The more you look the more confusing it gets.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Speaking of mychinamoto, humanbeing, member MJH (known here on chinariders as Oengus) finds many facts about the Chinese motorcycle industry, including the top 50 manufacturers.

Oviking, which United Motors bikes do you own? If you have one of the 200s, those are Skyteam manufactured, which has a great reputation for quality as far as Chinese bikes go.

I own a 2004 Renegade ZS169FML, and 2 Matrix XX 150cc scooters, one of which I sold. The scooters have front and rear disc brakes. The quality of the scooters are head and shoulders above the off-brand scooters I have owned.
Nickel plated engine covers, carbon fiber exhaust covered muffler, etc.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #10

Name:  P1010813.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  96.2 KBShould be in the scooter section, but just for reference;

Old 09-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #11

Pretty cool hybrid of sorts there!

Old 09-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oviking99 View Post
I own a 2004 Renegade ZS169FML, and 2 Matrix XX 150cc scooters, one of which I sold. The scooters have front and rear disc brakes. The quality of the scooters are head and shoulders above the off-brand scooters I have
This is where I get confused. Renegade and Matrix.... are they brands or models?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #13

(Apparently this originally came from Chinariders so I think its OK to pinch it from mychinamoto.)

Dunno how accurate it is.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Already posted once at chinariders BUT got deleted. I need time to translate to ENG again manually.
The standard for M/c engine is QC/T 253-1998

Machine translated text:
Motorcycles and mopeds Engine Model methodology
QC / T 253-1998
State Administration of Machinery Industry 1998-07-13 approved the implementation of 1999-01-01
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
1 Scope

This standard provides motorcycles and mopeds with engine (hereinafter referred to as engines) Model methodology.

2 reference standards

The following standards contain provisions, through reference in this standard constitute the provisions of this standard. Time of publication of this standard, as shown in both versions have
Efficiency. All of the standard will be amended to use the standards of the parties should explore the possibility of using the latest version of the following criteria possibilities.
GB / T 725-1991 Product name and model of the internal combustion engine preparation rules
GB / T 5375-1998 models of motorcycles and mopeds methodology

3 Definition of Terms

The criterion used by the following definitions
3.1 natural air-cooled engine
Use of the natural flow of the air-cooled engine cylinder and gas cylinder head, such as engine parts.
3.2 forced air-cooled engine
Fan generated by the mandatory use of mobile air-cooled engine cylinder and gas cylinder head, such as engine parts.

4 Model methodology

Engine Model by Arabic numerals (hereinafter referred to as figure) and the Chinese phonetic alphabet (hereinafter referred to letters) component. Engine Model followed including
The following four parts:

4.1 Department: Product features of the code for the enterprise or product line, code-named code-named, with more than three capital letters do not express, on behalf of one of product lines
No. subject to the industry focal point for Standardization approved the record.
4.2 Central: a few symbols from the cylinder, cylinder layout of the form of symbols, stroke symbols, bore symbols. Cylinder with one of several symbols that figure. Cylinder
Path symbols with cylinder diameter (mm) express integer. Symbols and layout of the form of cylinder-stroke symbols, respectively, according to Tables 1 and 2 requirements.

Table 1-cylinder arrangement of symbols

Symbolic meaning
Unsigned oblique single-cylinder, multi-cylinder in-line oblique
V V-type
P Horizontal
Table 2-stroke symbols

Symbolic meaning
Unsigned four-stroke engine
E Two-Stroke Engine

4.3 rear
The rear of the characteristics of symbols from the cooling mode, the engine uses the characteristics of symbols and the name of the engine displacement symbols. Cooling characteristics of symbols according to Table 3 Regulation
Set.

Table 3 Characteristics Symbol cooling method

Symbolic meaning
Unsigned water-cooled
F natural air-cooled
Q forced air-cooled
Y oil-cooling

4.3.1 Characteristics of the engine uses symbols: fixed for the letter "M".
4.3.2 the name of the engine displacement symbols: According to GB / T 5375-1998 on behalf of the provisions of division of displacement, according to the provisions of Table 4 letters.
4.4 tail
Tail for the design and modified code. Design code to use Arabic numerals 1,2,3 ... ... followed by express order of engine design, when design, code-named 1
Can be omitted. Modified code to use capital letters A, B, C, D ... ... followed by express order of the original engine type modifications. Design and modified code to use symbols "-"
And in front of symbols separated.

Table 4 on behalf of emission symbols

Symbol symbol engine displacement engine the name of the name of displacement
A <50 N 300
B 50 P 350
C 60 Q 400
D 70 R 500
E 80 S 600
F 90 T 650
G 100 U 700
H 110 V 750
I 125 W 800
J 150 X 900
K 175 Y 1000
L 200 YG 1100
M 250 YL ≥ 1200

5 Model Example
Example 1: single-cylinder, oblique style, four-stroke, bore 57.3mm, natural air-cooled, motorcycle used, the nominal capacity 125mL, 2nd design
Engine model: 157FMI-2

Example 2: Chongqing Huawei Industrial Co., Ltd. Production of single-cylinder, oblique style, four-stroke, bore 47mm, natural air-cooled, motorcycle used, the nominal
Displacement 90mL, 1st design engine models are: HW147FMF

Example 3: K series, single-cylinder, oblique style, four-stroke, bore 57mm, natural air-cooled, motorcycle used, the nominal capacity 125mL, 1st
The design of the engine model K157FMI

End Quote.

Last edited by alchemysa; 09-27-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #14

Loncin company website... http://www.loncinie.com/

Lifan company website... http://www.lifan.com/English/Industry/index.html

Old 09-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oviking99 View Post
Attachment 409Should be in the scooter section, but just for reference;
That's right, we discussed your Renegade, which may or may not be Skyteam sourced, but remember the 200cc enduro/motard and trail bike were, and I believe the smaller dirt bikes were, too. Not sure who OEMd your Matrixes, but might have been Honda (probably not, LOL)! UM looked for the best OEM, and their bikes were more expensive than the low quality, cheaper, bikes.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard