Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #1

wanting Roketa owners feedback

I've spent the last couple of days gleaning the posts for Roketa information. I pretty much had my mind set on a Lifan, but the Roketa's have caught my eye. I am somewhat oldschool and I raced a MR175 Honda in hare scramble races in high school. I don't particularly care for the rear disk brakes, and it seems like the Roketa has rear drum. SO I was just wondering from the Roketa owners what their experiences have been. Everything from buying, assembling, registering, parts availability and just keeping it going. I know the Lifan may be a better choice but is the Roketa a good second choice?

Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #2

My Roketa has been great so far. I got 1200 miles with no mechanical issues at all. The ZongShen OHC motor runs great, no vibes, and has plenty of power to tote around my 210 lbs through the mountains of Vermont. The RSX200E DOES have a disk rear brake, but works fine once you fix the factory mess up with master cylinder placement which causes the rear brake to drag as set from the factory. Easy fix. If you want the drum rear and conventional forks, you would be looking at the RSM200E. Fatboy250, a long time poster here, has both Roketas. He has about 9000 miles on the RSX and just bought 2 RSM's for under $900.00 each. My big complaint with the bike initially was the rear suspension, which from the factory is junk. BUT, it's the same on the Lifans, so factor that in when you make your decision. Parts WILL NOT be as easily attainable, but CAN be found and member RPM here, a Hi Bird dealer, can get all Hi Bird parts and they interchange with the Roketas, so no worries. If you are looking to do a 200 dual sport the cheapest way possible, and still have a reliable bike, I recommend the Roketas.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 07-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #3

I have the DB-05 or RKM-200E-5 model for a little over a month now and have had no problems what-so-ever! I never have found any loose bolts either! It comes with a 45 tooth rear and I'm thinking a 13 tooth front, haven't pulled the cover off to check yet. I have gotten over 60 mph with the stock set up, but revving high to get that. I can go 50-55 without it sounding like a screaming banshee. I may go up one or two teeth on the front for a little help on the rpm's. I just dont want to have to change the chain out. I figure one tooth would work without a chain change, two may be too much? It comes with the .520 chain. Mine has the disc brake for the rear. The other two models (DB-07 and DB-07A) are a little taller, mine has 9" clearance (which is plenty for my short legs) The DB-07 has an older style look to it. The db-05 looks a little more modern in the styling. It doesn't have a tachometer on it though! My speedo is in MPH, but the odometer is still im Kilometers. I cant say what problems you'll have titling as I bought mine right from a dealer and got my stuff promptly from them. It did take just about 45 days to get a title though (distributor sent them the wrong MSO)

Old 07-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #4

07 Lifan GY5's have drum rear

Old 07-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #5

i got a 07 db-05 with 70 miles runs great after i did carb mod took off emissions changed to blade fuse taped all connectors put vaseline on wire connectors and did prep work mentioned on this site im actually going to buy another roketa next summer

Old 07-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #6

freekshow:

Where did you get your Roketa DB-05? I got mine at Affordable ATV in Mansfield. About an an hour and a half drive for me, but very happy. I didn't do any mechanical mods to mine yet. What exactly did you do to yours? Thanks

Old 07-05-2007, 01:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
.... He has about 9000 miles on the RSX and just bought 2 RSM's for under $900.00 each. My big complaint with the bike initially was the rear suspension, which from the factory is junk. BUT, it's the same on the Lifans, so factor that in when you make your decision.
Well, I can agree with everything you said except the part about the Lifan rear suspension... I haven't measured the travel on my 07 gy-5, but it's really pretty good. I went riding in the mountains today and rode pretty hard, overall the suspension did well. My biggest complaint would have to be too much rebound dampening in the rear and the sticky forks up front (easy fix). Not once did I run out of travel due to binding, I did bottom the rear once, but that was from running faster than I should have been, jumping one rock and landing just wrong smack on another.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #8

I have an 06 DB07A like quite a few others here have.....not a lot of miles yet,...about 500....but its been great......the engine/transmission is as good as anything you could hope for, mileage is about 80 mpg,...
initial paperwork from XXX was all in order, no problems at the insurance or DMV..........assembly went well, although I would hessitate to say that a novice or someone not too mechanically inclined would not run into problems, or have issues...........[I have assembled bikes at dealerships at my past jobs, and also work on bikes part-time, so thats why I didnt have any problems myself]
I did some minor improvements/updates but otherwise have simply enjoyed the bike and am well pleased at the value.
2019 Brozz 250

Old 07-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #9

I've had no problems registering all (4) Roketas, (2) DB-07A and (2) recent DB-07B. If you're looking for conventional forks and drum then get the DB-07B (RSM-200E) The only thing to have to change is the rear sprocket from 56 to whatever fits your riding style. I prefer something in the 46 range.

Parts availablity has been pretty good so far. I've only really had to get spokes[which I got from Bruce - EJ cycles Lifan dealer] and a rear rack from Roketa. Many of the parts seem to be interchangable so you should be ok even if Roketa is slow, you could get it from a Lifan dealer like I did.

I've been extremely happy with our purchase and would recommend them to anyone. Hope this helps you make a better desicion.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 07-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
.... He has about 9000 miles on the RSX and just bought 2 RSM's for under $900.00 each. My big complaint with the bike initially was the rear suspension, which from the factory is junk. BUT, it's the same on the Lifans, so factor that in when you make your decision.
Well, I can agree with everything you said except the part about the Lifan rear suspension... I haven't measured the travel on my 07 gy-5, but it's really pretty good.
Can you please post a pic of your lower suspension linkage? If it's that good, they must have changed something.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #11

It's decent but it's no Suzuki DRZ 400 etc syspension.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Can you please post a pic of your lower suspension linkage? If it's that good, they must have changed something.
I got some pics.... for some reason I can't get into the gallery to post them. I have a pic of the linkage, a pic without the suspension compressed and one with it compressed as much as I could get it using a tie down. It dosen't bind anywhere, it just gets very stiff. I need to go out and finish adjusting my valves, then I'll come back and find a hosting site for the pics.[/quote]

Old 07-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #13

It's probably because you haven't registered.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 07-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #14

Man that guy's cool 8)

Old 07-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #15

To keep from turning this into a thread hijack, I'll start a new thread and put the pics up there. I just registered for the gallery, when it's up I'll have a go at it.

Quote:
It's decent but it's no Suzuki DRZ 400 etc syspension.
Heck no. I'd love to have a DRZ 400, but I'm really pleased with what I got for the money. When I have the cash in hand I plan on either getting a DRZ or maybe even some flavor of a KTM. ... the guy I rode with yesterday has a KLR 650, it's kind of a pig on the trails, but riding on the twisties to and from was pretty darn impressive (had Avon street bike tires on it).. that has me thinking SuperMotard...

Ohhh.. I said I didn't want to hijack this thread.. sorry! I'm outa' here.