Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 01:56 AM   #1

Valve Adjustment (Finally)

Hi All

I finally worked up the courage to tackle a valve adjustment on my 2006 Lifan LF200GY-5 at 2500 kms.

Luckily on this bike, the valve cover (OHV) has plenty of clearance between it and the frame and came off easily. This was my biggest concern after reading about others having to drop their engines.

The clearances were, if anything a little over. I adjusted the intake to .002" and the exhaust to .003". I initially used the kick starter to spin the engine, but found it hard to control the crankshaft movement. I then removed the oval shaped chrome cover below the timing mark opening and used a socket on the nut. Once I found the "T" mark, I put a mark on my socket extension so that I could more easily tell when the timing mark was coming up.

The valve cover, timing mark opening and side cover all have "O ring" type gaskets so they can be re-used.

This turned out to be a pretty easy job!

Old 07-01-2007, 03:00 AM   #2

excellent to hear as I will be doing mine soon as well. I figured it may be a tough one to tackle

Old 07-11-2007, 03:01 AM   #3

I'll be doing mine soon too... Did you get your bike from coasttocoast (the distributor) or maybe supersport? If so I guess mine should be the same engine...

Old 07-11-2007, 03:23 AM   #4

Hi Jim

I got my bike from Supersport Motorsports / Coast to Coast.

I would suspect yours is the pushrod engine like mine. Luckily our valve cover comes off easily. I would imagine that this engine is probably easier to adjust the valves on than the OHC model where you have to work through the access caps

Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #5

Ahh good, I was hoping it would be easier to get at, yeah that is the motor I have , I guess I will get this done before I take it back out of the shop (new battery, replace a few missing bolts, change motor mount bolts, and repair the muffler), then it should be good as new.

Did you notice any difference in it?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:02 AM   #6

I really didn't notice any change after I did the adjustment. I guess I just felt a little more at ease knowing it was done.