Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Another new Honda

Here's an example of a good bike that does not pique my interest at all. A good affordable well engineed machine but too broad a focus with no edge.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...deo-91365.html

Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #2

honda

doc i really like that new honda 700,,i think it would be a great everyday commuter,,id opt for the standard trans, and spend that $2000 on some of the great accesssories mentioned.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #3

It's a great bike but just lacks a specific 'edge' for me to enjoy. If it had a flavor it would be vanilla. A temprature and it would be lukewarm, a color, grey.

I'm sure it rides great. Maybe just the fact that the chassis and driveline are shared with a scooter turns me off...

Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #4

I like the helmet storage in front of the seat.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #5

O my god..what next...
talk about BS on two wheels...
And I thought Suzuki V-storm was a joke,
this thing takes it to a whole new level..
Why build it... Honda has the 700 2V Transalp ..

I case yer wondering... NO I won't be buying one..

A while back a guy with a BMW GS1150 came out with us.
We stoped.. waited & he didn't arrive .. We went back to
find him... came accoss him sitting beside his bike...
It had fallen over & he couldn't pick it up ..took 3 of us
to get it up right.. that honda's going to be no better...

My XT660R heavy enough to get up... I wouldn't want
anything heavyer...
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 08-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #6

Man, I dunno. That's ugly even by my standards. That variable mode trans doesn't give me warm fuzzys, either. But then, I'm a curmudgeon that's in the 7% that still believes in clutches.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 08-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #7

I think the NC700X will appeal to a wide variety riders. In many respects this bike is very similar to the Kawaski Versys.

Personally, I prefer my Honda XR650L to the much heavier, less trailworthy NC700X. However, the NC700X is definitely nicer for long distance traveling on pavement.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #8

I love it, I think it's a cool bike and a great idea! The engine is actually half of the Honda Fit car engine from what I hear, and will be used in three different Honda motorcycle platforms. It's a new modular approach to motorcycle production and the engine produces tons of torque at low RPM's. It get phenomenal mileage as well, I think around 65mpg? It's also made totally in Japan when most japanese manufactures are outsourcing assembly to places like Thailand to reduce costs.

The thing to remember is that though it's styled kind of like a GS, it's not marketed at all as a dual sport bike. As Spud was saying, it will fill a niche very similar to the Kawasaki Versys, except the Versys mileage isn't even close to the NC's.

I'm hoping Honda does well with it and am guessing it will appeal to riders not looking for sport bike performance, but more interested in utility. I'd take one at the drop of a hat. Of course, I also ride a KLR so that probably speaks volumes about my personality

Old 08-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #9

I think the NC700X will be as off road capable as the Versys, and is an attractive alternative to the Versys. The luggage options for the NC700X are superb! The Honda only weighs 18 pounds more than the Verysys, and costs $1,900 less! 8O The more I consider the NC700X, the better I like it!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #10

That's the beauty of motorcycles, what appeals to one rider may or may not appeal to the other... Variety is the spice of life!

As I said, I'd take an NC at the drop of a hat, it'd make an awesome all rounder for me! (Except for dirt of course)

Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #11

I know it's good, just not interesting to me. :?

It uses half the engine of a very dull uninspiring econobox. Using my math that makes it twice as dull (dull/.5 = 2dull). :idea:

Gas mileage to me on a bike is worth a rat's pitoo-tee. As long as I have a big enough tank to have the range what's another dollar or two in gas for a weekend ride if I'm having fun? :P

I'm also a clutch guy. My (wrong, evil) opinion is that automatics are for people who can't drive/ride... Sorry about that... :roll:

I want a bike to have an edge. Power, handling, braking, coolness, speed, comfort, technology. Whatever. Just excell in something.

No question the bike is a good bike and a good value . It's a Honda after all for crying out loud. Whith that said if that's the future of motorcycling I'll buy a 1,400cc Ninja, a KTM450, a Harley (or Victory :wink: ), and another Gold Wing and put them into cold storage so I will be set for the rest of my hopefully long riding life.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I know it's good, just not interesting to me. :?

It uses half the engine of a very dull uninspiring econobox. Using my math that makes it twice as dull (dull/.5 = 2dull). :idea:

Gas mileage to me on a bike is worth a rat's pitoo-tee. As long as I have a big enough tank to have the range what's another dollar or two in gas for a weekend ride if I'm having fun? :P

I'm also a clutch guy. My (wrong, evil) opinion is that automatics are for people who can't drive/ride... Sorry about that... :roll:

I want a bike to have an edge. Power, handling, braking, coolness, speed, comfort, technology. Whatever. Just excell in something.

No question the bike is a good bike and a good value . It's a Honda after all for crying out loud. Whith that said if that's the future of motorcycling I'll buy a 1,400cc Ninja, a KTM450, a Harley (or Victory :wink: ), and another Gold Wing and put them into cold storage so I will be set for the rest of my hopefully long riding life.
Stop beating around the bush Doc... Do you like it or not?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #13

I'm beginning to believe the NC700X is better than the Kawasaki Versys, and also costs $1,900 less. I love the storage options for this bike!

P.S. I don't want an automatic transmission on a motorcycle, either. :roll: However, the automatic transmission is an option on the NC700X.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #14

Stop beating around the bush Doc... Do you like it or not?

I like it, just not for me. :wink:

Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I'm beginning to believe the NC700X is better than the Kawasaki Versys, and also costs $1,900 less. I love the storage options for this bike!

P.S. I don't want an automatic transmission on a motorcycle, either. :roll: However, the automatic transmission is an option on the NC700X.

Spud
Honda has started a price war I don't know how they can keep going, but if a person wanted a new Honda this is the time to do it. 8)