Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #1

How Cheaply Made are These Quads? You Decide. Got My Answer.

Last sunday we decided to go for a little trip. My wife on the Rebel T1, my son on the X35 and myself on the Beast limited. We decided to head out on a road we go on quite a bit and decided to see where it ends. The road is driveable with a decent 4x4 but not my little beater truck. About 10 miles in the boy decided to head back and see how far mom was behind us. He rounded a corner and low and behold she was right there. He narrowly escaped hitting her full on and only managed to slap the left front wheel with his back one. By slap I actually mean a pretty good hit, it actually sent the Rebel T1 in a small spin and she ended up 90 degrees from her original direction. She managed to stay sitting on the quad too.

Aside from a small cut and a few bruises, and some stiffness to the wife (a good chest protector is in her near future) everyone was ok thank god. had the potential to turn out alot worse.

Now for the machines.

The X35 was ok and the only damage done was a clutch lever when the boy dropped the bike to rush to make sure mom was ok.

The Rebel T1 has the tie rod end snapped off and the arm on the steering knuckle bent a bit. The tire had also been punctured. That was all the damage.

Being 10 miles in and no way to get the truck in to retrieve the quad the wife started to ride it back with 3 wheels and the left front puched all the way back and dragging the tire. We rode this way till the rubber said it had had enough and came off the rim. At this point the rim would only dig into the ground and get hooked on rocks in the road. Needless to say the rim is also now a casualty. I decided to use a tie strap and hooked the Rebel to the back of the beast using the front bumper to attach to. It was the wife and I on the Beast now with the Rebel in tow. A few times going down hill the Rebel decided to go faster than the Beast and wound up riding up the back of the beast. That poor little Rebel went through hell and back for the rest of the trip and according to the boy who was following us almost flipped, rolled and otherwise did it own thing many many times.

Final tally on the Rebel:

1 tie rod end
1 tire
1 rim
rebent the steering knuckle.

Pretty dam good I must say. That Rebel took a kicking and came out in awsome shape considering what it went through.
If it can handle what it has been put through by this household then it surely can handle anything a kid can throw at it.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Pocket Bike Canada is a deceitful retailer.
Stay away from them.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #2

Glad everyone is OK.

Sounds like an easy fix or two.

People have to remember that they need to LOOK AHEAD and not go too fast on the trails, just like on the street! 8O

This could have turned out much worse.

A couple of years ago I had some kid on a CRF250 hit me head on while I was riding my quad. He flew maybe 15 feet, and smashed the front nerf bar of my quad pretty good. Amazingly his bike was OK, and being a kid he was undamaged as well. He was SO not looking!

I was a bit pissed, but wrote it up to 'stuff that happens', fixed the quad and all was good.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #3

Like Doc says, glad everyone is ok. An important lesson was learned without major cost to man / woman or machine.

Your point is not lost on me. I'm amazed at the pounding my Beast will take.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

You bet someone will be paying alot more attention to whats going on.

Ordered up the parts for the T1 from the Gio Ti stock parts list and wouldn't you know it got the rims and tie rods for the mini atv LOL, who would have thought they could possibly make a mistake.

Called them up and they are sending out the proper parts. When I asked hin what he wanted me to do with the ones they sent he said keep them or throw them away LOL. Seriously? Just goes to show the atual value of the parts if they are not worth paying the shipping back.

Once the tires and the proper parts show up we should have it up and running again.

Stay away from them.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

Did you just get rims, or rims and tires for a mini atv? Three bolt or four? I could use them if they have tires.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #6

Just the rims and tie rods. The tires are comming to Colviile via Florida ebay seller. I have a mini atv as well. If you need tire Princess auto had some they were blowing out and I picked up a pair for 3 bucks each in Kelowna but they may have some there as well.

Stay away from them.