Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #1

Free 1972 CT70?

A patient of mine was admiring Little Sweetie at my office today. He said he has an old CT70 same year and color in his barn. Say's its rough but I can have it if I like. Same color.

Gonna take a look at it today!

This will take a 125cc Lifan, right?

Are CT's street legal?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #2

They where street legal. (had lights and stop/running lights. ) Don't remember about the turn sigs. go for it. I would love to have one back, A nice metal flake gold one. My brother in law owned it and I rode that poor thing to death. good bikes.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Wow! Awesome! It'll be great after it's FastDoc'd.

Kato is more of an authority, but I think China power requires an adapter on the CT90's, but the CT70's might be a bolt-in deal.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #4

I'll wait for Allen to chime in. I may not have time to get it this weekend (Going to Glacier National Park in Montana 8) ) but hope to see it soon.

For all I know it may run with the current motor. The guy says he's had it in his family for 30 years and it's been passed from kid to kid and is 'rough'... :wink:

Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Lol, I can answer those questions! Yes, the CT's were street legal, but as was already said the older ones didn't have turn signals. My 71 has no signals but does have headlight and brake light. The 125 Lifan is a direct bolt in though you will have to get different foot pegs or modify your original ones. Also, the skid plate assembly wont fit without modification since the cylinder is longer. You'll also have to get a new exhaust or fabricate a bracket to move it forward 1/4 an inch or so because of the increased cylinder length... I'm going the bracket route on mine because new exhausts are pricey! Jump on it Doc, awesome bikes! Dunno if I would want to lift it into an airplane though, I carried mine upstairs and they aren't that light!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #6

I'd definitely pick it up. Free is free, so what if it's rough, more fun customizing it for you than. I think I'm going to get to mine soon since the cl seems to be about done (fork seals in winter). Just have to get that trailer finished.

You don't need turn signals really, just use hand signals.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #7

Free is the best price! Have fun at Glacier National Park.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #8

I've managed to find cheap horizontal clone exhausts and footpegs in the States, so maybe that won't be an issue for Doc.

I'd definitely have some small (but bright) signals on a little bike like that. You need all the help you can get to be seen.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #9

I'd be more worried about tail lights and head lights. Signal lights indicate you are turning, and if you are turning, I would say it's your responsibility to make sure it's safe to turn (or change lanes). With such a small vehicle you should be able to make it work. The biggest issue I would see is if you were stopped trying to turn left off a road, and the car behind you didn't realize you were turning... But you should be close to the left side of the lane, and your brake light should be functional... My trailer at work developed a ground issue or something we're trying to sort out, so my left signal lights on the trailer were on and off on thursday and more off on friday. Being that long, without being able to let people know you need them to give you a break seems like it would be more of an issue. I really had no problems though, going to try and get it sorted out completely on tuesday.

Defensive riding is important. That's not to say I would take off functional signal lights, I like lights, on my truck at my last job, on the truck alone I had 8 signal lights per side.

My ct70 doesn't have signal lights, I'm not planning on adding any.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #10

I'm not planning on adding any to my CT either, I want to keep the bike simple and don't plan on running it in heavy traffic... If I ever get it finished that is :roll:

Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #11

I,ve got me an old ct90 sitting out at my brother in laws. Don't know if I will get to it soon or anything. If anyone is interested could let it go fairly cheap.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Pocket Bike Canada is a deceitful retailer.
Stay away from them.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #12

Jim, you bring up some excellent points; thanks for the clarity. I think we can agree that defensive riding is paramount, and good lights all around are a benefit.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #13

Sounds like the questions have been answered already. China clones are bolt in. I would skip the turn signals and the skidplate to shave a few pounds.

All the parts are easily found so bringing a free rough bike back will be easy. Careful with the handlebars. They are likely to be rusted into place.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I think we can agree that defensive riding is paramount, and good lights all around are a benefit.
Definitely

Doc, any update?

Old 05-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #15

I've been bad. Too busy working and playing. Hopefully I can check it out over the weekend. Linda wants it too!