Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #1

NEW LF200GY-5 OWNER HELP WITH COLD START!

First of all hello everyone...glad to have found this site. I am a new proud owner of a 200GY-5 but a little frustrated with starting it. Sorry if this may be a similiar post to something already answered here but I have poked around and searched and havent been able to find defnitive help on this site cause there is so much already posted. Basically when I got the bike it has already been assembled new and it started right up however when it warmed up it idled about 4000 rpm. So I adjusted the idel with the screw on the right side of the bike so about 1500 rpm and ever since its a real pain to get started , the choke has never made any difference and I have to keep gas rev'd until it warms up - once its warmed up it ldles great and starts first kick of the button. Any help would be appreciated - at this point I left it sitting for memorial day w/e and tried to start it when we got back and ran the battery down. It fired a couple times but just wouldnt go. Thanks in advance for any input and glad to be here! TY..Craig

Old 05-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #2

Sounds like you might have an air leak. Check for a loose carb, or junk floating around in the carb bowl. If that's not it, the low end mixture is really lean. Drop the clip on the needle down to the bottom slot, and set the fuel screw out to about 2 turns. If you don't know what this means, do a search on "carb mod"; there's plenty of info there to assist you. This is a common condition and easily fixable.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:55 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jkomp316
If your bike is brand new, that could be it too. Mine didn't start idling untill it had about 80mi on it. And yea I turned the screw out 2 1/4 turns from all the way in. And moved the c-clip on the needle down 1 notch.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
Sounds like you might have an air leak. Check for a loose carb, or junk floating around in the carb bowl. If that's not it, the low end mixture is really lean. Drop the clip on the needle down to the bottom slot, and set the fuel screw out to about 2 turns. If you don't know what this means, do a search on "carb mod"; there's plenty of info there to assist you. This is a common condition and easily fixable.
wokring at it right now i am stuck at gettting the carb off from the accel cable...!

Old 05-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #5

Once you get it off, pull the float bowl and make sure the jets are all free from debris. Doesn't take much to plug them and cause havoc in there. For sure drop the needle clip and set the fuel screw while you have it off the bike. That's the time to do it. Let us know what you find. BTW, have you tried cracking the throttle to start it since you turned the idle down??

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 05-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #6

how do I get the accellerator cable loose from the carb? I unscrewed the cap and now its loose from the carb and I can see the fuel screw and clip I need to adjust but its still connected to the cable? Do I need to remove the plastic around the gas tank or tank to get to it?

Old 05-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #7

hey red is there any way I could call you? I also would like to mod the exhaust and other stuff but am not sure about that as well...craig

Old 05-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranger7
hey red is there any way I could call you? I also would like to mod the exhaust and other stuff but am not sure about that as well...craig
PM me.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #9

I pm'd you but it sitting in my outbox??

Old 05-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #10

Try my e-mail link

Old 05-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #11

hahaha the worlds first online bike repair shop your tha man red

Old 05-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #12

. OK, you probably WILL need to pull the tank. Not sure I understand your question though. Do you need to separate the carb slide (the round cylinder hooked to the throttle cable) from the cable, or do you need to disconnect the accelerator pump from IT'S cable? Or both?? If it's the slide, you just collapse the spring enough to unhook the cable from the inside of the slide, then slide the cable through the slot in the slide. Then you can access the needle and clip after removing the retaining clip that was under the spring. Less complicated then it sounds. Lemme know how it turns out.

Also, the fuel screw is under the carb in the front (engine side) and is really only accesible if you remove the carb. Anything that looks like a screw INSIDE the carb is a jet, not the fuel screw. The fuel screw is OUTSIDE the carb.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #13

Well I did finally get the clip adjusted and I moved it all the way to the bottom slot (for anyone else reading this its much easier with gas tank removed which is really easy 2 bolts) I got it back in and the carb mountesd to the intake but the throttle cable is now really loose, there is a lot of play in the gas so I am trying to get the play out and am loosening the locknut and adjusting but it just doesnt seem right like it was before. Also was wondering ..on the carb...the fuel screw is on the bottom and the air/idle is on the side? What do you recommend for them at this point? I did read other postings but since I wasnt sure which screw was which I wasnt clear on how to adjust.

I work out of my home and have spent the day messing with this bike instead of doint my other work! lol...but I couldnt stand it that I ran the battery down trying to start it so I started tinkering and well here I am with it all apart. My next door neighbor is handy with bikes so I know he can be of some help but alas he is at work as well. Its been 30 years since I owned a motorcycle so even though I am not afraid to tinker with it most of this is new to me...famliy were all mechanics and I went to school for it but (about 20 years ago) after working for my uncle for a year , alsways dirty always hot or always cold I changed carreers and got a desk job...

Thanks for the help thus far...I will let everyone know how it turns out...anyone that can shed a light on the cable at this point please dont be afraid to post to this.. I am about 99% sure I have the cable in the carb correctly with the slot lined up and all so I am confused as why it so out of adjustment now....

Old 05-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #14

STOP the slack in the cable is most likley becouse you dont have the slid in correct when you but it in you must line up the slot in it with the divt in the carb if the spring is collaping when your pushing the cap on its wrong turn the slid till it drops in to the bottom!!

Old 05-30-2007, 03:27 PM   #15

STOP! If the cable is suddenly loose, you put the slide back in wrong. The slide only goes in one way and it sounds like you got it 180 degrees off. The idle screw will hold the throttle WIDE OPEN and if you try to start it, you're not gonna like the results. Take it back apart and make sure you got the slot in the slide lined up to the idle screw. The taper of the slide faces toward the rear of the bike.