Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Chinese reliability

It was cold out this morning (27 deg F when I left my house, 24 deg when I got to work) but I decided to ride anyway. My SV650 has heated grips and a plug for my heated vest, plus a windscreen to tuck behind, so it is usually fairly comfortable in the upper 20s. I got suited up with all my gear (a 5 minute process...) and out to the garage. I backed out my SV and tried to start it, but it turned over a bunch of times but wouldn't fire. Then the starter got slow, then nothing. Crap.

I had tucked the XF200 away in a corner to wait out the winter, but I figured I was already suited up and nearly sweating by this time. I didn't feel like taking everything off and driving my car. Pulled out the XF, turned on the fuel, and she fired right up. The first 30 minutes or so of my commute were fine, but my fingers really started getting cold for the last 15 minutes. The XF ran like a champ, even in the sub-freezing temperatures.

I just thought it was somewhat ironic that my Japanese bike let me down, but the 'cheap' Chinese bike was waiting and ready, like a faithful dog. :wink:

[of course I know it probably has more to do with the Shorai battery I put in the XF compared to the 4 year old Yuasa in the SV, but it is still a nice story, don't you think? ]

Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #2

My hat is off to you! :P

Like you I would rather freeze on a bike than be warm in a cage. My 'rules' are it has to be above freezing (or in the mid 20's if it's sunny), dry, and preferably light out. If those conditions are met I ride 8) .

I cheat though :roll: . I have electric gloves and vest. I also ride a Gold Wing which feels like a Porsche convertible it terms of wind protection. It also has heated grips, seats, and leg and foot warmers that divert hot air from the exhaust headers onto the rider.

Most of the time though I'm on the KLX or The Dirt Rat 2.

My Q's were also great winter bikes, as long as they had the batterys replaced from the the poor originals.

Ride on brother!

PS I hope the SV starts too. :wink:

Old 01-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #3

That is a good story. I'm guessing that the SV has no back-up kick, and it would be a bear to kick, even if it did. Do you plan on installing a Shorai in the SV?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #4

Yeah, the SV is a 650 twin. It is almost impossible to push start, too. Especially if the battery is weak and the engine is cold...

I am considering switching the Shorai from the XF to the SV for the winter, but in reality if I put the Battery Tender on the SV the night before it usually starts fine. I just hadn't done that in a while. I've been lazy and taking the car most days, but the desire to ride 2 wheels builds this time of year, kind of like an addiction.

I have a plug wired into the XF for accessories including my heated vest, but it isn't long enough to reach my vest. I think I'll take care of that before I leave work today, so I can have some heat on the way home. Really it's the heated grips that make a difference to me. Maybe I need a set for the XF. The electric gloves always looked nice, too. Just lots of wires to plug in.

I told myself the XF would be my summer bike! I actually moved my snowblower into the spot normally occupied by the XF, but we haven't had a bit of snow, other than a freak Halloween storm. The temps have been fairly mild so far.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing the nice story. I really enjoy my Shorai battery!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #6

I have a couple of old hillbilly six volt bikes that won't accept fancy stuff like heaters, so I have to get creative. One thing I've learned is that if you put nitrile gloves on and let your hands get hot before you go outside, you can then slip your regular gloves over the nitrile gloves and stay very warm. I also bought a fleece balaclava toque that fits under my helmet.

It doesn't get terribly cold where I live (rarely below freezing), but it's really damp. You learn to dress in layers.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #7

I read a comparo of the BMW 650 GS and the KLR 650 in (I think) Motorcyclist a few years back. The BMW had heated grips while the KLR had hand guards. The mag said the KLR was better at keeping the tester's hands warm. I can see that as one fixes the problem while the other tries to cure the symptom. I know that when I put guards on my XF it made a huge difference. Of course, the ultimate would be both.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921
Iread a comparo of the BMW 650 GS and the KLR 650 in (I think) Motorcyclist a few years back. The BMW had heated grips while the KLR had hand guards. The mag said the KLR was better at keeping the tester's hands warm. I can see that as one fixes the problem while the other tries to cure the symptom. I know that when I put guards on my XF it made a huge difference. Of course, the ultimate would be both.
Yup! With the hand guards and heated grips on my KLR my paws are nice and toasty! Now, if only I lived somewhere with no ice and snow... :evil:

Old 01-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #9

For my SV I actually have guards from a DL650 that bolt on. I used them for one season, and they definitely helped. The combo of them and the heated grips is nice. Then I got lazy last year and never put them back on, but only rode a few times in the winter anyway. This year I have been out twice in the cold. I'm getting old, I guess... I was speaking with an older gentleman about it and told him I was getting weak and didn't go out in the cold weather like I used to. His response: You aren't getting weak, you are getting wise. :wink:

I did re-route the heated vest hook up wire for the XF, and was very toasty on the way home from work, like to the point where I almost pulled the plug out. Of course it was near 40 deg, which makes a big difference. Also I had the SV on the Battery Tender all day and when I got home she fired right up.

My vest is a home-made job, plugs directly into the battery (through a 10 amp fuse, of course) and draws about 60 W at 13.5 V:

Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #10

For those who are just joining us, here's a link to dmmcd's vest project: Homemade heated vest

Old 01-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #11

I love that vest! I should take a stab at making one, need it for the cold commutes spring and fall .

On a side note of the chinese reliability thing, I have 2 snowblowers in the garage, my single stage with a Zongshen motor and my mom and dad's big 11 hp Tecumseh behemoth from the farm. Both are pretty new machines but my Zong starts in one pull and purrs, the Tecumseh takes at least 5 or 6 pulls and has a tendency to surge a little even when it's warmed up. I prefer to use the small Zongshen powered one unless there's a big dump of snow, less pulling!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
I love that vest! I should take a stab at making one, need it for the cold commutes spring and fall .

On a side note of the chinese reliability thing, I have 2 snowblowers in the garage, my single stage with a Zongshen motor and my mom and dad's big 11 hp Tecumseh behemoth from the farm. Both are pretty new machines but my Zong starts in one pull and purrs, the Tecumseh takes at least 5 or 6 pulls and has a tendency to surge a little even when it's warmed up. I prefer to use the small Zongshen powered one unless there's a big dump of snow, less pulling!
You have spoken as a true Zongite, Stew.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #13

My SV let me down again this morning. I even had it on the Battery Tender all night. I guess it is time for a new battery... It cranked for about 5 seconds before it got weak and quit.

The XF once again fired right up and got me to work in style. It was a chilly 29 deg this morning, but supposed to go into the 50s this afternoon. Should be a great ride home!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #14

XF to the rescue!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #15

Ride on brother!

I'd bet the SV with a fairly large high compression twin needs a healthy battery to turn it over.