Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #1

TBC 425 Outback electric starting issue

Just when I thought I have room in my shop....over comes the inlaws TBC 425 quad. Very nice Tiwanese machine but it's broken too....

Anyways has anyone had issues with the electric starter motor works but it will not crank over the engine? I checked the starter and it is a direct drive and works ok So this means that the issue is most likely in the inside guts with the startedrdriven gear or the starter idler gear.I removed the started and the idler only turns one way freely and tight the other way.

Any input or experiance with doing this type of involved repair by anyone yet? I down loaded the service manual but I have no clue where to buy the specail shop tools needed to pull it a part either.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #2

At the risk of throwing money at it, is it relatively easy to get a replacement starter for troubleshooting purposes? What is it a copy of? I'd hate to pull an unfamiliar starter apart with no backup.

Can you turn the engine over by hand? Have you tried booster cables and a larger battery?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #3

I pulled the started off and tested it. It is fine. The started is just a motor with a splined output shaft. No bendix or anything of the sort. The started engages and spins fine , it just is nor engaging to the flywheel to start the quad. From what I can find it may be a ciopy of a Suzuki.

I can start it with the pull cord when I push the bypass buton. The worst thing is that my 70 year old father in law can't pull on the cord like we can so he would like it to start when he "hits" the switch. It runs just fine when started with the cord.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #4

I'm intrigued. This is an area where I'm obviously weak, so how can a starter work without a Bendix? Is it forced to turn with the engine all the time that the engine is running? Is the fact that it will only turn easily in one direction a clue that it freewheels when not under power?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

Maybe it has a sprague clutch somewhere.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #6

I got a repair manual from online. I'll figure it out on paper and post the awnser to how it works.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #7

So it's opened up and the one way clutch is behind the ringgear driven by two other gears that are turned by the started. Now I need to make a puller and hopefully we can get the parts for repair. The dealer in Calgary says he's got a million dollars in stock...don't they all say that//LOL anyways I will order parts and we can get this thing fixed up.

I've ben trying to search the web to find out the size of the treads on the end of the crank but to no avail so I need to get out the old caliper and tread pitch guages...nothing is ever easy with a china quad..

Old 01-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #8

Please take many pics. Saga in Langley might also be a source for parts.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #9

Got all the parts in on friday. The one way clutch assembly cost 275$ and the gaskets and 2 orings another 50$$ !!

either way it's going back toghter as soon as the machine shop builds the puller for us. TBC quoted over 200$ for a simple puller...LOL and it only costs 40-45$ to have it made . must be up with the over priced orings and gasket.

The machine it's self is very good quality and very similar to a suzuki.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #10

Please show us the puller and a shot of it in use. I'm interested to see why it would cost so much.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #11

it's a basic 50 mm by 1.5 internal tread and 700 mm deep with a center screw to push agaist the crank end. Real basic stuff