Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #1

gio rebel t3 (200cc) vs gio beast (200cc)

I'm looking into buying my first Chinese ATV and need to get some input before i decide to buy one. I'm going to be using it for long trips, camping, fishing etc, it won't be used for huge jumps or anything too abusive. I'm needing something that will be extremely reliable more then anything and can handle a bit of hands on work. I'm not an expert at these things but learn epeasily and fast and from what I've seen there isn't much to these that is very hard to figure out. Any feedback would be great good or bad and if there's another ATV of similar price that is better let me know as i have only seen the Gio models. I'm not really wanting to spend more then this one is worth ($1200 if I "buy it now" and don't bother with the auctions). This price includes shipping. Also would like to know how extensive is the assembly? Is it just the wheels, handlebars and fill fluids? Thanks in advance guys!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #2

Welcome!

Do yourself a huge favour and review this thread and all the links: ATV tech favorites and other important topics!

FastDoc says that you need a sense of humour to own a China bike or atv (and he's right). Careful prep goes a long way, and there certainly is more to them than assembly and fluids.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

I'd also like to add that a lot of work will be required to get either the T3 or the Beast to the "extremely reliable" stage. If you are truly looking for reliability with a minimum of fuss you would be much farther ahead looking at a used Japanese ATV. I'm not knocking Chinese ATV's, but for the most part they require quite a bit of tweaking to get them "just right". If you enjoy tuning and tweaking/modifying machines great, if not they can drive you crazy

Old 09-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #4

I posted a fairly detailed un-boxing and review (separately) on the Gio Beast Limited.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...wtopic&t=12863

The Beast has been much more reliable than its contemporary we have here, the Tao Tao 150B. It also cost a lot less than the Tao.

As mentioned there is a list of must-do things to make it reliable - such as loc-tighting bolts, greasing electric connections ( and checking them all) - putting grease nipples on the axle housing - etc.

They are more expensive but I just tested rode my first Linhai today and they are head and shoulders above the Gios and Taos etc, but cost more too - about the same as a used japanese one.

I put in about 15 hours of tinkering into the beast before I trusted it - and even that went up in smoke on the last ride, it died, not sure why, and spent and hour many miles in the bush trying to get it running again - and then after some car adjustments it fired up - but I still don't know why it died and then decided to run after an hour - nothing really added up. Mostly my mechanical inexperience. Point is, it takes a lot of work for them to be really reliable.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #5

Re: gio rebel t3 (200cc) vs gio beast (200cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylez
I'm looking into buying my first Chinese ATV and need to get some input before i decide to buy one. I'm going to be using it for long trips, camping, fishing etc, it won't be used for huge jumps or anything too abusive. I'm needing something that will be extremely reliable more then anything and can handle a bit of hands on work. I'm not an expert at these things but learn epeasily and fast and from what I've seen there isn't much to these that is very hard to figure out. Any feedback would be great good or bad and if there's another ATV of similar price that is better let me know as i have only seen the Gio models. I'm not really wanting to spend more then this one is worth ($1200 if I "buy it now" and don't bother with the auctions). This price includes shipping. Also would like to know how extensive is the assembly? Is it just the wheels, handlebars and fill fluids? Thanks in advance guys!
Personally, I would avoid any of these Chinese machines. Unless you want something just for the kids to putt around on.

"I'm needing something that will be extremely reliable more then anything" - bahaha good luck with that. Put your money into a name-brand machine, you'll be far better off. I inherited an old 92' Kawasaki Mojave quad from my dad - I would trust it FAR more than the one year old Gio T3 quad I have.

The Kawi is built like a tank - the Gio, I already had to get the frame welded where it BROKE in two places. Never mind the garbage chain, rotten fuel lines, rotten rubbers on tierod ends and balljoints, won't idle properly, won't start without cranking it LOTS, rear sprocket almost falling off, tires leak, rides like a tank, seat is rotten, rusty all over.