Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
I have a hobart handler 140. Weld is right about the settings. There is plenty of times where 2.5 would be better than 2 or 3. I can only select what the dial stops at.

It came with the gas setup, but I only use flux core wire. Most of my welding had been outside until lately.

Next I want a 240v welder and a plasma cutter.
The majority of the light stuff on Linda's trailer has been welded at either 2.5 or 3.5 out of 10. Seriously, the chart even recommends mid-position voltages.

I haven't had a need to use flux core yet, but I have a roll standing by. I know that I'll be welding something that doesn't need to look pretty when I run out of gas; I'll be grateful for the flux core then.

Take a good look at Eastwood. To me, they're among the best value in welders, and they have infinite voltage control. They have plasma cutters as well.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-29-2015, 04:10 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Quadz, please start a new thread on that! I've been terribly tempted to buy that very powdercoating setup, and to pick up a free oven on CL. My thinking is that I could coat whatever would fit in the oven. I might even use the elements of the oven to create a bigger box that would accommodate a motorcycle frame!

One fine member here gave me a terrific idea. He creates a cardboard trough, and hangs the part to be coated over top. Any excess powder falls onto the cardboard, and is then poured back into the bottle. As greybeards often say, anything that hits the floor is a waste.

I'm intrigued by your spring compressor idea. I've had similar thoughts with my 12 ton press, but no designs have popped into the front of my mind. Do you have a link to what you plan to build, or is this your own plan? Again, I'd be grateful for a thread on it.
I have my own plan in my head, can't really find anything similar to it, but if I had to pick something I guess this would be the closest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CMP-9100-206...315594&vxp=mtr

It'll be a little more elaborate than that, with the main difference being a small 1-ton bottle jack being used instead of a leverage bar. I'll definitely get pics of it when it's done and start a new thread.. maybe I'll even document the whole build along the way.

I'm in the same boat with the powdercoater, trying to figure out the best oven option. I'd really like to have something made with hot plate elements, that I can also break down flat and store away so it doesn't take up a lot of space.

I'll keep ya updated!

Old 10-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #33

Putting a jack on the shock tool will make it a slow and cumbersome experience ,I would pass on that idea .
I have powder coated in standard ovens but you are limited by the size and often the oven is too large to have in your garage .There are forums for backyard and pro powdercoaters and a lot of those guys build their own ovens using standard oven burners ,and building their own metal and wood insulated box .A wood stove ,propane burner ,and a hundred other things can probably be made to work because the temperature is not extreme and only needs to be held a half hour or so .

Old 10-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #34

I agree on all points.

I really like that shock compressor! I have enough crap in the shop to build one; hmmm... I think I would add cross pieces underneath, so it's very stable as you lean on it. I normally just compress shocks with two large wrenches, so any amount of leverage is a good thing for me.

Quadz, since you have a welder, you could certainly gut an oven and take the element, control and fuse out. You could build a simple sheet metal box to house whatever you're coating, and then insulate the exterior. The whole deal could be collapsed and stored when not in use. The welder would be useful for making a frame that the sheet metal attaches to, and you could weld hooks to the frame to support whatever you're baking.

I think I just came up with a winter project.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #35

Weld,

I took a welding class in college back in the 90s, but all we did was stick welding. I enjoyed the class a lot, and I am seriously considering a purchase of the Eastwood MIG 135 welder.

Can you recommend a good helmet, gloves, and protective clothing? We always welded while seated, and I remember I would get a lot of hot metal flying onto my pants and arms while I was laying down a bead. I never got burned, but I surely thought I had been burned several times.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-30-2015, 01:24 AM   #36

I'm a China Rider, so I don't spend a lot of money on such things. I bought a cheap auto-darkening helmet years ago, and I love it. I'd certainly buy whatever auto-darkening helmet is on sale at HF.

I use Miller MIG gloves; they're comfortable, protective and a good price (when on sale). They're not the typical heavy welding gloves that come to mind; these really allow for good dexterity.

I wear long sleeves, normally in the form of an old denim shirt. I always wear cotton.

You're not going to see sparks at anywhere near the same rate, unless you're using a 220VAC welder, cranked up for 1/4" steel. With shielding gas, you're also not going to have any slag on the weld that needs to be chipped off.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:53 AM   #37

Thanks for posting the good information, Weld.

Do you have any recommendations for a good welding cart? I assume it is nice to have the gas tank on wheels, as well as the welder, itself.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-30-2015, 02:14 AM   #38

I'm drawn to this one from HF:

That said, a weldor's first project should be to build a cart for the welder.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:22 AM   #39

Of course! Harbor Freight is always the answer.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-30-2015, 02:28 AM   #40

I think the price of the steel might cost more than buying this nice, inexpensive welding cart for $45.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...art-60790.html

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-30-2015, 03:10 AM   #41

What shielding gas do your recommend, and how large a gas cylinder should I get? Can you recommend a good place to guy a gas cylinder?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-30-2015, 03:31 AM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Putting a jack on the shock tool will make it a slow and cumbersome experience ,I would pass on that idea .
I don't see it being slow, as I'm sure it will only take 1-2 pumps to compress. And it will be wall-mounted, so it'll be stable. Definitely don't need to make it with a bottle jack (a leverage bar would work fine), but I wanted to make something 'different', and the jack is only $14 new anyway.

Quote:
Quadz, since you have a welder, you could certainly gut an oven and take the element, control and fuse out. You could build a simple sheet metal box to house whatever you're coating, and then insulate the exterior. The whole deal could be collapsed and stored when not in use. The welder would be useful for making a frame that the sheet metal attaches to, and you could weld hooks to the frame to support whatever you're baking.
Yea, that's what I'm thinking.. something along those lines. I'd love to make something big enough for a frame, but I think for starters I'll shoot for something just big enough to fit an A-arm, or swingarm. We'll see.

By the way, I have that welding cart from HF too (the cheaper one), and you're right, you couldn't make one yourself for the price. I think I paid $30 with a coupon, and it's not bad at all!

Old 10-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
What shielding gas do your recommend, and how large a gas cylinder should I get? Can you recommend a good place to guy a gas cylinder?

Spud, you can often lease cylinders from a place like Airgas. Look for a welding supply near you. When you run out of gas it will be nice to be able to exchange it quickly.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
75/25 Argon/CO2, or 70/20 Argon/CO2, whichever the local welding supply shop carries.

Bottle size will depend upon the type of cart you buy/build. When you get the cylinder filled, don't be in a rush. Drop it off in the morning, and pick it up well in the afternoon. The longer they have to fill it, the more they can fit in the bottle. When full, the bottle should be at or near 2000psi.

Compare prices locally. When I bought my welder, it was cheaper to buy a bottle. That said, they have a 10 year life span, like propane bottles, before they need to be revalved and inspected.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #45

I have the HF welding cart that Spud linked. It's plenty decent for what it costs and does a good job for wheeling the welder around the shop. I actually mounted a wider wood board on top so I could put both my welders side by side on the same cart. I have a 170 MIG (from HF) and a nicer inverter Everlast PowerArc 200ST stick welder.

I hope my welds can look as good as Weldangrind's someday.

Nice looking trailer!

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)