Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #1

Help about getting a bike, Gio Auctions or direct

Hi,

I'm looking for a bike for a 12 Year old and I'm looking at the GIO 125CC and the PRGS-F04AM2 125cc with 17/14 Tires (From pocketrocket99) so far.

My questions are:

Is the Gio Bike suitable for him? he's 5'-0" new to the sport.

Can you really get a good deal in the auction (GIO)? or should try just going direct and buy it?

are there any bikes about 600 bucks taxes included? (maybe i missed one)

Thanks for Helping

Old 11-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #2

I think that the 17/14 combo is a good choice, because it will give him some growing room. I bought my son a 14/12 Gio 125, and I quickly had to upgrade the wheels.

I think we paid close to $800 for ours, but it was a few years ago and it was during peak season. My recommendation is that you register at the Gio site (it's free) and track a few 125 sales. You'll quickly learn what the market will bear.

Gio has a 17/14 125 like pocketrocket's (PR Industries).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #3

GIO 125cc can be had cheap, as W&G said just watch the auction, i helped my brothers neighbours kid get one in the summer, told him not to bid over $250, he got it for $257 which ended up to be just over $450 all said and done, they are a pretty darn good bike for the price, i ended up selling mine off and got the 250cc X31, that took me 2 weeks of watching every auction to get the price i wanted, bid of $566 and total of $885.50.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #4

Thanks a lot

I'll ask the kiddo to get on it and bid hopefully we can get it in a good price for us for now.

Thanks for your comments and help, I'll post any other questions and any result of the outcome of buying the bike.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #5

Re: Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
I'll ask the kiddo to get on it and bid hopefully we can get it in a good price for us for now.

Thanks for your comments and help, I'll post any other questions and any result of the outcome of buying the bike.
Just try not to autobid, odds are you'll never get it at the autobid you set, your best odds are to wait til the last 15 seconds to place your bid, usually middle of the week is the best time to get a good deal and watch out for dealers that constantly set autobids on the same product, after watching the auction for a bit you can tell who they are, always autobidding on the same product ( usually all of them in the same catagory ) but never seem to get one.

Also do your home work, after your bid there will be a $50 auction fee, shipping and taxes, the shipping will be displayed when you click on the picture of the auction item, the auction fee will always be the same and the taxes vary province to proveince.

Good luck, and happy bidding.

PS, i usually bid when the items are at less than $10, then you can go into your "didn't win" tab and see all the winning bid prices, or you can also add item to your "watchlist".

At this time of year, and if your looking for the 125cc i'd say the range of bidding should be $200-$240.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #6

we just got our gio125 a week ago. we got it for 200 plus 50 auction fee, 150 for shipping and tax. all in I thinkg it was about 470. i think its a pretty good deal considering a local dealer wants 900. you will be bidding against dealer and typically they will bid no higher than 190 but there were few people who wanted it really bad and got as high as 280. good luck.
Weldangrind> where did you get your wheel set from? i am looking for a 12" front to match the 12" rear. i see that you are in western canada,if you can share the info that would be awesome. thanks simon

Old 11-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #7

Hey Simon, I picked up the wheels from this fine gentleman: http://pocketrocket99.tripod.com/

Out of curiosity, why do you want to decrease the front wheel size? A smaller front wheel tends to dig in harder, causing the rider to fly like Superman.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Hey Simon, I picked up the wheels from this fine gentleman: http://pocketrocket99.tripod.com/

Out of curiosity, why do you want to decrease the front wheel size? A smaller front wheel tends to dig in harder, causing the rider to fly like Superman.
thnaks for the link Wldangrind. My son wants to try http://amra.ca/ as he is not old/big enough for http://emra.ca/. and the smaller front allows the bike to turn quicker.
if the bike works out I might just get myself one too.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #9

So your son is thinking about super moto racing? They have events like that at out local airport for all ages. Looks like fun.

Son of Weldangrind hot lapped a super moto mini once, but he was already too much of a giant for the bike, and he prefers the dirt.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
So your son is thinking about super moto racing? They have events like that at out local airport for all ages. Looks like fun.

Son of Weldangrind hot lapped a super moto mini once, but he was already too much of a giant for the bike, and he prefers the dirt.
"Son of Weldangrind" is that a swear...jk. Mini-me wanted to race mini bikes couple of years but not so much after he saws the old-man high sided at the local track and knee swelled to a size of a melon. He just wants to do some track days with no pressure. kinda like playing on the hockey house team if you know what i mean.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #11

Some days it's a swear.

Will you have street tires on your son's bike for track use?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #12

most amra track bikes uses dunlop tt91 or tt92. at about $100 a piece not bad for track tires. thats what i am planning on gettting for the 12" hoops, i might start by buying take-off's as he wont be riding to the outter edges of the tires.
Jesse>sorry for jacking your thread, I guess I just got carried away. hope you get a decent deal on the bike. One thing I did noticed about the gio auction, seems like the middle of the day is when people get the best deal. I saw few 125 gone for $189.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #13

Also sorry for the thread jack.

simonw, I might still have a 14" Dunlop. Interested?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Also sorry for the thread jack.

simonw, I might still have a 14" Dunlop. Interested?
thanks for the offer,currently i am focusing on the 12" setup with street tires.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #15

Just a FYI:

When you get out on the track you will be racing against CR Hondas and 2 stroke KTMs. (meaning you will be horribly outclassed and slow)

I fully understand "getting your feet wet" and Kenda makes a 14" tire that will go on the GIO front in a "sport" tread design and compound. (a 120/70/14, K433F wider than the fork tubes, but once squeezed on the narrow rim, it will fit) Steering is slower with a 14" tire-rim, but body english will make up for it.

Your greatest difficulty will be getting tubes, as all the tires you can buy are tubeless, and the selection of tubes for these sizes is small.

ALL of these tires are a bitch to mount, you will need 3-4 hands, much patience, and good tire irons.