Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #1

I'm one lucky dude

I hit ~100km today on the new engine breakin and figured I should change the oil, check the plug, do some carb adjustments, etc... Anyway, when I'm done I roll the bike outta the shed, start'er up, pop it into first, give it some gas.....and nothing. Bike doesn't move an inch. I look down at the chain and it seems extremely loose but its still on the rear sprocket. I push the bike back into the shed and pull the cover off the countershaft.

Voila! Apparently when I installed the engine I forgot to tighten the bolts on the front sprocket and it just slid off the spline. 8O

The bolts and retainer clip were nowhere in sight. I'm sooo lucky it isn't funny.

I guess I'm taking the truck to work tomorrow.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #2

Been there-Done that. Sometimes after you're done laughing , you realize you're lucky to be alive 8O .

Old 04-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to willshoemaker
Sounds like my luck. Well I Don't really have any luck but... If I did.. Looks like your going to have fun trying to get some replacement parts eh?

Good Luck,
Will

"Time is an abstract concept created by carbon based lifeforms to monitor their own decay."

Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Sounds like my luck. Well I Don't really have any luck but... If I did.. Looks like your going to have fun trying to get some replacement parts eh?
Not really, I'll have everything I need by tomorrow morning.

I have an easier time getting Lifan parts than Honda parts.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 04-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #5

Haha lucky man! Good job with the site by the way!

See ya,
Will

"Time is an abstract concept created by carbon based lifeforms to monitor their own decay."

Old 04-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #6

Being new to the bike world, I've taken stuff apart on my bike and put it back together, and that's when I notice that I did something out of order or something like that. ya live ya learn

Old 04-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheadouglas
ya live ya learn

Then you get luvs....... haha sorry, saw it on a old commercial

Old 04-26-2007, 12:07 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
It's ok if you take something apart,put it back together and have parts left over.Its when you come up short on parts you have a real problem.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
The parts left over are just extras. If it runs normally then they're not necessary. Just consider it a design change! Yesterday I couldn't spell engineer, today I are one! My Grandpappy useded to say that!

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 04-26-2007, 03:22 AM   #10

Dude, that's very scary!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf119l
It's ok if you take something apart,put it back together and have parts left over.Its when you come up short on parts you have a real problem.
Been there...done that. Certainly an odd feeling when you get everything back together and you're like, "Wonder what this bolt was for?"

frostbite, you got lucky on this one. That's OK, I've done one thing stupider. When I first got my bike, I made sure to take the time to tighten every nut and bolt I could get my hands on before riding it. Then on one of my first rides, I come up to the end of a highway exit ramp after just testing the "top end" of the bike. I casually apply some pressure to the rear brake and NOTHING. I look back, and to my suprise, there's the rear brake caliper dangling by the brake hose. Guess I forgot to tighten those bolts.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #12

I'm lucky too -- I put new brakes on my jeep the other day and must have forgot to torque the lug nuts after setting it back down.... I know I did it while the tire was raised, but kids came out and wanted to play and stuff so I must have got side tracked and not finished the job...

so anyway... going down the interestate yesterday at 70mph off comes my front driver side wheel. Ooooops!!!! :oops: I got off the road and stopped then here comes my tire and cars are stopping to not get hit by this flying weapon.... it rolled to a stop off on the shoulder without harming anyone. (Whew!)

Luckily my Jeep holds the spare tire on with lug nuts so I jacked up the jeep, put the tire back on with the lugs from the spare and drove her home. Needed a new rotor - no biggie.

I wish mine would have happend in the driveway like yours instead of on the highway -- but live and learn.... key word being live. (I'll take a little luck any day)
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 04-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #13

yea

k so once i owned a wrangler jeep, and put the hard top on and was in a hurry to drop buddy off at airport so i was not going to bolt it on he held one side down and me the other , so i drop him at the airport and accidentally got back on the highway and all was ok till a semi passed me and wooooshhhh , have you ever seen a hard top of a jeep fly off (in the rear view at 55 mph?

Old 04-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #14

Last summer I did a brake job on the Nissan Xterra and forgot to torque one of the bolts holding the calipers in place. It promptly worked its' way out and for three days I couln't figure out what was making that intermitant clanking noise.

I got the front end back up on the jack stands and found out that the calipers where banging against the inside of the rim.