Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #1

Gio or Daymak?

Hey folks. I am in the market to buy a 250 china bike. I am trying to decide if there is a difference between the Gio or Daymak. Gio is cheaper but parts are more readily available for the daymak. Does anyone know if the Gio is virtually the same bike and parts are transferable?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #2

From what I have seen GIO is the better buy. Overall better service and they do have parts.

Plus the reviews on the 250 bikes have been pretty good.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #3

Welcome!

I've bought three Gios in the past, and I have no regrets. The quality level has improved significantly over the last couple of years. The latest version of the big wheel 250 is a really sharp machine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #4

DO NOT BY FROM DAYMAK.....

Just my thoughts....

Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #5

Thanks guys. Are the bikes virtually the same though. Meaning if I need parts for the Gio could I get them at daymak?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #6

In a number of cases, yes. There are some subtle differences, but most everything can be made to work.

Don't forget that there's a ton of useful info, and several tons of smart guys on here.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-19-2010, 12:41 AM   #7

If you're a Canadian a Gio is a slam dunk. Go for it.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #8

Have you checked CL in Toronto? You might find a used one that somebody gave up on, especially this time of year. It would make a great winter project.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:12 AM   #9

Ya. Nothing on CL but I think I am more comfortable buying new anyway. There is a Gio dealer in Oshawa I think I will go to. Need to sell my daymak 714 - 140cc though first. It is to small for me. Bike is mint if anyone wants it. I'm motivated also.

Thanks for he tips guys.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 AM   #10

Make sure that you follow a few purchases online, so you know what the market will bear.

There are three Gio big wheel bikes: the X31, X35 and X37. The X31 is the latest version of the original Gio dirt bike, and it has a Zongshen engine and a 37.4" seat height. The X35 has a Loncin engine of the same design as the Zongshen (OHC air cooled Honda clone), and it has a seat height of 35". The X37 is a liquid cooled bike with what appears to be an NX250 style engine with some mods, and it has a 36.22" seat height.

Check 'em out at http://www.giobikes.com/Dirt-Bikes-in-Canada/

FWIW, I'd buy the X31. I'm a Zong fan, and I have no use for liquid cooling in a 9.5:1 compression ratio engine. Too much needless complexity, IMHO.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #11

I was lead to believe the 35& 37 have better components, swing arm, shocks, etc. I have no need for liquid cooled but want better quality. Do you think it is irrelevant? I was an mxer as a teen ager...not planning to beat the crap out of the bike but want to be sure it can handle a few jumps here and there. I am 6'2" 210lbs.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #12

I've been watching the X31's and the X35's very closely as well... It's funny, if you compare the two they are almost identical. I don't think you could go too far wrong with either one. The X37 scares me a little because I have heard of a lot of water cooling horror stories with the chinese bikes. The added complexity of water cooling and the potential for leaks/breakdown on the trail definitely push me toward good old proven air cooled technology.

I think both the X31 and the X35 have pretty much the same adjustable suspension, brakes look about the same, frame is a tiny bit different. They both use the KMC chain... I'm not sure how good the KMC is but it looks a lot better than the chain on my GIO ATV. Wheels and tires look the same... Very similar bikes! Zongshen and Loncin are both top engine manufacturers in China with a proven reputation so you cant go too far wrong with either.

Biggest difference that I have seen between the two is that John at GIO claims that the X35 has a redesigned clutch that requires less force to pull... I have seen a few reports on the web that the X31 requires the lever to be pulled all the way to the bars to disengage the clutch and that becomes tiring. Not sure if there is any truth to this though, perhaps the people just don't have their X31 clutches set up right?

I think both bikes look awesome and would be great trail machines. I keep placing bids on them myself in the hopes that I will get one, but usually get beat out by one bid.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #13

I think that both the X31 and X35 are better quality than the original X31 from a couple of years ago. I like the suspension travel and seat height of the X31 better.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #14

The x31 appears to be a good buy. I would go for the 21/18 wheel combo. You are tall enough that a full-size bike is appropriate.

Agreed on the water cooled. Just more to break. Haven't seen to many success stories on any liquid cooled china products yet. I am sure that they are getting better though.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #15

Happy to say I am the proud owner of a 35. Haven't taken it out yet but I am tomorrow. Ill keep you all up to speed on how it works out. Thanks again for the help.