Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
Bye bye beeping winkers! and other minor stuff

Hey, a big shout of THANKS! to everyone for all the info on here. I did the carb needle adjustment fairly easily this last weekend. Also put in a NGK DR8EA spark plug since everyone was raving about it.

Haven't taken time to ride it, busy with the kiddo (fishing & she had a friend over). It didn't seem to start any easier, but hopefully that's because it's been sitting a little while. I want to fiddle with the mixture screw & see if that helps.

Other projects...this is really redneck, don't laugh...used JB Weld Stik around the grease fitting nut on the swingarm. I'll try it out tonight; hope it works!

I gave in...the beeping winkers were out of control! I thought the beeping was from somewhere on the front, nope, but now I know why the horn is so loud...there are 2 of 'em (is this common?). Wait a minute...sounds like it's in the middle of the bike...maybe under the seat, which I just put back on. Yep. CAUTION, do not put your ear by the 'beeper' and then flip on the blinkers. 8O I lost hearing for about 5 minutes from the darn thing! Anyway, a cotton ball & a wrap of electrical tape later, I don't feel like people will be looking for a Mack truck backing up just because I'm turning. And I don't need the fat a** comments either!

Stopped in at a local 'cycle repair shop for s&g's. They were able to order the JT Sprocket 269-45 for me for less than what I found surfing the 'net (I didn't call Bruce, maybe he could've beat it, but I like supporting the local economy, too). Should be here Tuesday. I'll be able to pass old ladies with walkers! Yay!!! Amazing how different stock & this one are. Fashby's got some pics http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=1071 .

Viva 200gy's are now $30 less....$999 delivered!!!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #2

Sounds good

Do your signals blink when you apply the brakes?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #3

No, but I do!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:57 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to willshoemaker
lmao!!!! Yea my brothers work truck has those annoying back-up noises.

"Time is an abstract concept created by carbon based lifeforms to monitor their own decay."

Old 04-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #5

You blink your winkers :o

You didn't notice any difference from changing the clip? what about spark plug... I havent gotten around to mine yet, but I guess Im going to use the same one you got.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #6

Before, I'd have to turn the idle adjustment way up to get it started (and the choke all the way out, and the throttle partway open). Then when it was warmed up, it was idling at 2K rpm, and I'd have to adjust it down.

Now we just tried it again, and it took a while, but we still had the idle adjustment down. Duh! Adjusted it back up, it started, ran it around a little, and it idles at about 1200-1500. I still have to play with the air-fuel mixture.

I changed the plug & adjusted the needle at the same time, but I'm guessing the needle will have more impact. Everybody else says there's a big difference with the plug change, so for a couple bucks, why not?

Oh yeah, the JB Weld Stik almost worked. Got about 10 pumps in, then it was really tough to pump, then the grease spooged (can I say that?) out from underneath the JB Weld. Worked better than I had feared, but not as good as I had hoped.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
I did the carb ajust on mine and I don't need the chock now and it idels cold and hot at 950 rpm

Old 04-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #8

Hey, MsRandi, I read that in your previous posts...and that's where I'm hoping this will end up.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #9

I may have missed it somewhere, but why do you need to jb weld the grease fitting?

Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 AM   #10

Apparently it's pretty common on the Viva's...there is a grease fitting on the swing arm tube that holds the swing arm bolt (in a hole in the bottom of the sea!...er, sorry, got distracted). At first glance, I thought Great! I don't have to take the swing arm off to grease that!

Alas, on the aforementioned tube, they have spot-welded a nut that the grease fitting screws into. Spot-welded. As in, Not around the entire edge of the nut. Meaning that the grease goes nicely into the zerk and right out between the nut and the tube, neatly covering the outside of said tube without coming close to the actual bolt and swingarms. Lovely, huh?

SamM welded it like it should be. Others have just taken the swing arm bolt out and greased it. I was trying to get away with the "cheap & lazy" solution, since I don't know how to weld, and by God, if there's a zerk, it should be greaseable with the gun! LOL I guess I would say it was about 50% successful. I kinda like the Weld Stik, though...fun stuff!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:06 AM   #11

Oh ok, I see how that could be a problem eh... My lifan I think there is just a threaded hole... But the fitting pointed straight up, had to change it to a 90... That was a pain to do without taking it all apart... I never saw any grease come out, but just filled it up till it got tougher to do...

Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #12

Don't forget to check your spoke tension.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 04-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #13

Re: Bye bye beeping winkers! and other minor stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherRide
I did the carb needle adjustment fairly easily this last weekend. Also put in a NGK DR8EA spark plug since everyone was raving about it.
Did you go all the way to the bottom notch? What did you gap your plug at?
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 04-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #14

My bike came with a straight up zerk, too, so I replaced it with a 45. The original also had a weird design that I couldn't fit the grease gun nozzle on, even if I had been able to get to it!

I moved the clip down one notch; there's still another notch to go before it's maxed out.

My manual specifies .6mm (.024") gap, so that's what we used. The factory plug gap is .028", I think.

Thanks, Frostbite, we went over the spokes after reading about that on another post. There were a few loose ones, so great advice!

My sprocket might be here today! It's so much better to work on stuff for 'fun' rather than because your daily driver is 'dead in driveway'. Until I finally traded in my old Ford Probe for an Escape, I was working on it or my '89 Chevy pickup every weekend to keep one or the other running. Now my pickup sits neglected, poor thing. It's such a gas hog or I'd use it more. Blah blah blah...once I get typing, I just can't stop...

Old 04-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #15

I can't say that I noticed a thing after the NGK plug or the carb mod EXCEPT for when I started it the next day (when the engine was "cold") it fired right up and idled the first or 2nd time. That was a nice surprise.
NEVER did that before. Now I just have to hope when it gets really humid out this summer that it doesn't run too rich.