Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #16

Thanks for the info, when we changed it we did use lots of soapy water, but I guess we didn't pop enough air into it... I will try to get it all seated correctly in a couple days, not very nice out right now. Thanks for the help everyone

Old 04-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #17

THE LINE YOUR LOOKING FOR ON YOUR TIRE IS CALLED A GIGI RING. IT SHOULD BE A VISABLE THIN BLACK LINE ON BOTH SIDES JUST ABOVE THE RIM. IT SHOLD BE EVEN ALL THE WAY AROUND. IT IS MOSTLY IMPORANT TO SEAT THE TIRE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IF NOT THE TIRE WILL BE TOUGH TOO SEAT RIGHT. BEST THING TO DO IF YOUR NOT SURE IS GO TO A TIRE SHOP IT SHOULD ONLY TAKE THEM A SEC TO TELL YOU. HOPE THIS MAKES SENCE?MAYBE GOOGLE IT?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:40 PM   #18

Is there some sort of trick to this... I let all the air out, sprayed on a ton of soapy water all the way around and enflated the crap out of it. I did this 3 times, and never got it to be even the whole way around... I don't want to have to go to a shop for something as stupid as this but it is really annoying now... I can't get it on there right so I gave up and put it back in the garage.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #19

I use straight dish soap. Let the air out completely, pulling the valve core helps. Push the bead off the rim and pour on the dish soap. Work the soap between the bead and rim. Reinstall the valve core and inflate. Dont be scared of overinflation, the tube would have to split the tire to pop, I have gone as high as 80lbs with no problems. On " problem tires", I have resorted to stepping on an area that seats easily to force and area that doesnt seat easily to fill out 1st.

When you're done, grab a scrub brush and a hose, and get that tire spiffy clean!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #20

have you had the bike up on blocks to spin the wheel to see how much run out there is? if ont you can use a large paint bucket to lift the bike off the ground so you can spin the wheel freely, then find some wood or anything to puty on the ground under the wheel but leave a small space so the wheel spins free the spin it a watch to see if there is any lateral movement 1/4 inch is ok.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:10 AM   #21

Thanks ob1, I will do that, I was using soapy water, but it probably wasnt soapy enough... I did have it up to 70psi, but I will try again as you recomend. Mind you I can't step on it as I have the wheel back on the bike, and wasn't planning on taking it off unless I have too.

Allfun, we actually have a motorcycle jack here, works great I just spun it slowly and looked at the ring you mention, it is usually fine most of the way around, with about 1.5mm between it and the rim, but then I will find a spot where that goes right down to the rim... usually only one spot I think.

Anyways I really appreciate all the help, I will check it out some more tomorow.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #22

the next thing I would do in your case is start replacing parts from one of the other bikes you have there, peice by peice one thing at a time. it could just be a heavy spot in the tire. this happens with CHEEP tires. I seen that a lot on cars.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:10 AM   #23

No no, you are right about what the problem is... the reason I say this is the problem was originaly with my dads bike... then we changed my tube and it now is bumpy the same way, we haven't gotten around to attempting to reseat the bead on my dads, and I did a lousy job on mine... I will do it again soon with more soap and less water. It's almost good....

Thanks for all the help guys

Old 04-20-2007, 01:50 AM   #24

A little update, got mine all on there correct, thanks for the help with this Now we just need to get around to doing my dads.