Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #1

06 zongshen speedometer/odometer problem

I am about to begin searching threads for info on this, but I thought that I would go ahead and ask for help w/ my zong issue

So I'm cruising down the road and the zong is about to roll over to 1000miles. I glance down at the 999 and smile. I look down a mile or two later and it is still at 999. upon further review i see that the speedometer is reading 0. I pulled over and noticed that area that attaches the cable was loose. I tightened it and rode home.

I just unscrewed it and there is a piece approx 1'' long that is loose going down into the wheel area. has the cable just broken or should this be in 2 pieces. I know that I am showing my true colors as a motorcycle dummy here, but oh well.

If the cable needs to be replaced, does anyone know if that part interchanges w/ the tw200?

(I am also selling it if anyone is interested in the dallas area...$750)
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/1960063258.html

Thanks for any help

Old 09-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #2

Re: 06 zongshen speedometer/odometer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by zongkykong
I am about to begin searching threads for info on this, but I thought that I would go ahead and ask for help w/ my zong issue

So I'm cruising down the road and the zong is about to roll over to 1000miles. I glance down at the 999 and smile. I look down a mile or two later and it is still at 999. upon further review i see that the speedometer is reading 0. I pulled over and noticed that area that attaches the cable was loose. I tightened it and rode home.

I just unscrewed it and there is a piece approx 1'' long that is loose going down into the wheel area. has the cable just broken or should this be in 2 pieces. I know that I am showing my true colors as a motorcycle dummy here, but oh well.

If the cable needs to be replaced, does anyone know if that part interchanges w/ the tw200?

Thanks for any help.
Your speedometer cable is broken, and needs to be replaced. You can buy a replacement speedometer cable from Zongshen America. I am sure other speedometer cables would work for your Zongshen speedometer, but I don't know what other speedometer cables are compatible.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #3

thanks spud! I thought that it was probably broken.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #4

Mizke, are you listening? A Zong in the Dalles area for $750.00!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 AM   #5

yup already checked it out, dont have the cash for it right now nor a way to get it from dallas to austin..

Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 AM   #6

Quote:
You're welcome. If you wish, I can get you a price quote for the Zongshen speedometer cable, and the shipping costs. If you are interested, send me a personal message.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
You're welcome. If you wish, I can get you a price quote for the Zongshen speedometer cable, and the shipping costs. If you are interested, send me a personal message.

Spud
Spud,

Please update your signature line to inform everyone of your status as a Zongshen dealer. As per Frostbite's regulations. >smirk<

..that and so everyone here knows you're legit in acquiring them parts.

Sorry chap, couldn't resist.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:

Spud
Spud,

Please update your signature line to inform everyone of your status as a Zongshen dealer. As per Frostbite's regulations. >smirk<

..that and so everyone here knows you're legit in acquiring them parts.

Sorry chap, couldn't resist.

I'm still waiting to verify I'm "legit." As soon as Zongshen America responds to my first order, I will promptly update my signature. I don't consider anything official until I can actually deliver some goods!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
yup already checked it out, dont have the cash for it right now nor a way to get it from dallas to austin..
You ride it. :wink:

Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Quote:
You ride it. :wink:
And he said he's not in a hurry to sell. :P

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Borrow the money and RIDE it home! Heck, it's the same state how far can it be? :roll:

Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #12

about 200 miles

Old 09-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
about 200 miles
A trip of 200 miles is a very fun ride on a Zong! The Zong saddle is very comfortable, and a 200-mile trip can be easily accomplished in one day. However, I would advise Zong riders to plan the trip ahead of time, and stay off the Interstate highways.

I just completed my annual trip of riding my Zong to Salt Lake City; this excursion totaled a little over 500 miles. During this trip I also test rode the Pitster Pro LXT400, and the TMEC 200 motorcycles. I will soon post a ride report, and my impressions on those two motorcycles, in the appropriate forums. In case you are wondering, yes, I did take lots of photographs!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #14

The zong sold today :? . I'm delivering it to the buyer this weekend. Sad to see it go. I let the buyer know about the greatness that is chinariders.net. This was truly a great resource for info/maintenence/etc.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #15

Quote:
The zong sold today :? . I'm delivering it to the buyer this weekend. Sad to see it go. I let the buyer know about the greatness that is chinariders.net. This was truly a great resource for info/maintenence/etc.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our forums; we are very glad we helped you.

Please continue to visit these forums; we enjoy having you as a member. Please remember, once a Zongite, always a Zongite! You will always be considered a valued member of The Cult of The Zong.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220