Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #31

have bought a bike myself yet, but i think a few things to check for is any signs that the bike has been layed down, sit on it and put the handle bars even like you where driving in a stright line and look over the bars to make sure the front tire is pointing where it should.. make sure the bars are not bent, also that none of the levers on the bars are bent..

as with buying anything with a motor used, check the oil see what condition its in.. if the seller is smart they would have changed it. but if they didnt and it appears to have not been changed for a long time. it should raise some red flags to you..

im sure by the end of today you will have a lot of other things to check for that will be suggested by the other members with bikes and who have bought them used.. im just throwing my 2 cents into the ring with a few very common things to check for

Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #32

Thanks for the suggestion mizmike. Another thing that concerns me about the hensim would be parts. I found one site that seems to have some parts, but I am just a little unsure of where I should be looking. Or is there a bike that the hensim is a clone of, where one of the jap parts would be interchangable?

Here is the one link I found with some parts

http://www.buyatvsonline.com/

also found this one.

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.ph...D/882/cPath/21

Sorry again for all the questions, I just want to be sure to make a safe and informed purchase.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral
of the 200s posted, im guessing the 250 would be better at reaching those higher speeds with a higher tooth sprocket correct?

From what ive seen/heard Im still leaning toward the used hensim. Those older bikes id be afraid of getting parts for due to the age, also it seems to be either too small an engine, or too big. Keep in mind this would be my first bike, so I would like something that would have the power, but not be overkill, also from what ive read those 600s are too bulky for offroading in most cases correct?
I do not think that getting parts for a 1985 Honda would be difficult. You would have to go see the bike and ride it, the best dirt bikes are light and with that they do not get to highway speeds. Its a trade off....and why most people that are into off-roading seperate the two. The 600 would get you on and off the highway safer. But it would be more awkward on the trails.

A honda 600cc would be built proof, it actually has low miles on it for its year.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #34

try doing a search in your area for this brand, i may not have it spelled correctly.

hyosung or soemthing similar, there is a place just north of me in austin called napalm motor sports. google them they are a dealer for that brand so you can get a good idea of what types of bikes that company makes.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #35

Parts for the honda would be available just very expensive. That is just engine parts. The rest of the bike would be NLA most likely.

Allen

Old 09-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #36

Yea I doubt ill be getting the honda, either too small or too big for my tastes, also would like something a bit newer.

The hensim is what im leaning towards so if anyoen had any input or suggestions on the questions I asked in my previous posts regarding it, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Depends. For a beginner rider of average size and strength, yes, too bulky. Especially in the woods. For an expert or desert rider, she's a honey.
LOL I kind of want it....

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=honda+xl600r

they sold many so parts are not hard to find.

Do not think the Hensim is suitable for the highway...it may be why the seller is selling it? I think it will evetually need its valve clearances checked what would the settings be?

Old 09-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #38

This is a 250klx and outside your price….but still I do not think its suitable for the highway and it would have a much higher top end speed and acceleration then the Hensim.

He is asking 3,500 maybe he would take $2,900.00? You would have no trouble selling it or getting service on it.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ221061772

Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oengus
This is a 250klx and outside your price….but still I do not think its suitable for the highway and it would have a much higher top end speed and acceleration then the Hensim.

He is asking 3,500 maybe he would take $2,900.00? You would have no trouble selling it or getting service on it.

Yea that would be nice, but its way too far out of the way for one thing. My buddy with the trailer may be willing to go to saskatoon, but I doubt I could push him to go ahead with going to calgary.

If only there was a cheap way to ship a bike.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #40

I know you started another thread about the Hensim, but I figured I would say from personal experience that I wouldn't want to take anything less than 400 cc's on the highway for any extended period. I had the Konker KSM200 and it would do 100kmh pretty much topped out screaming it's guts out, and it felt very twitchy and light at that speed... I definitely wouldn't want to get behind a transport or get passed by one on it! A 200 or 250cc bike would be fine for around town with the lower speeds, or to get you to a good trail spot, but not something I would want to do a half hour highway commute on. The smaller dual sports are best suited to back roads riding with lower speeds... In that scenario they excel!

I have a KLR and love it on the highway, but even it gets blown around a bit. I probably would have looked seriously at a DRZ400 if I could have found one locally. I don't regret buying the KLR at all though, if something happened to it I would buy another the next day. They kind of grow on you

Cheers,
Stew

P.S. The opinions expressed above are my own and your mileage may vary. I've been riding for about 35 years and have owned numerous bikes (and been pwned by a few of them!)

Old 09-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oengus

Yea that would be nice, but its way too far out of the way for one thing. My buddy with the trailer may be willing to go to saskatoon, but I doubt I could push him to go ahead with going to calgary.

If only there was a cheap way to ship a bike.
I use a pick-up and a ramp....the thing is its a long way to go, if you did go that far it be best to have some other bikes in the area to look at.