Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #1

Looking to get into dual sports, a few questions.

Hello there, Ive been looking at buying my first bike, and for various reasons I am looking at a dual sport. Ideally I would be looking for something that can go at respectable highway speeds, maintain a steady 110km/hr, but handles well in the dirt. I live in an area with lots of open space with lots of highway, so using these roads to get to off road areas would be ideal.

So in regards to questions for this, what would people with some chinese bikes recommend? Something that is pretty reliable, with a decent part support network would be excellent. Also, what distributors would be available in Canada? Ive tried looking for some but it seems quite difficult to find something stable.

Also I have been looking at a bike called a panterra tr200. Has anyone ever heard of the bike? Any input on if it could meet what Im looking for?

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Link to the tr200 : http://www.panterramotors.ca/dirtbik...bRW42Jo42pkUME

Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #2

if you are going to want decent highway speeds you will want something with a motor bigger then a 200.. another member here just bought a pitster lxt400, he has a thread about it in this forum i do believe.. seems to be a decent bike with a strong motor.. might want to read his thread about it, it also has pictures in it..

Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #3

Being in Canada your Chinese Dual Sport market is going to be quite small, with limited choices.

I think sometimes you're better off buying a used Japanese brand for the price you would pay in Canada for a new Chinese Dual Sport.

Konker does make a nice machine (Seen here more as a QLink) however it's priced substantially higher in Canada than in the US. It is also only a 200cc. Depending on your size, it may be okay for you to reach those speeds, barely.

We have a member here who had one who could provide more information as well as the Konker salesguys are around periodically.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #4

Used it seems in my area is ridiculously overpriced or non existant, that way i figured going with the chinese I could at least have it shipped to me. The panterra I linked was quoted at 1950 total.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral
Used it seems in my area is ridiculously overpriced or non existant, that way i figured going with the chinese I could at least have it shipped to me. The panterra I linked was quoted at 1950 total.
What part of Canada you in? I'd just make sure it's really road legal, some question here in BC about what is nowadays. I've only seen a little 90cc Panterra quad so that's about my extensive knowledge on the brand.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #6

saskatchewan

Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #7

Re: Looking to get into dual sports, a few questions.

Quote:
Hello there, Ive been looking at buying my first bike, and for various reasons I am looking at a dual sport. Ideally I would be looking for something that can go at respectable highway speeds, maintain a steady 110km/hr, but handles well in the dirt. I live in an area with lots of open space with lots of highway, so using these roads to get to off road areas would be ideal.

So in regards to questions for this, what would people with some chinese bikes recommend? Something that is pretty reliable, with a decent part support network would be excellent. Also, what distributors would be available in Canada? Ive tried looking for some but it seems quite difficult to find something stable.

Also I have been looking at a bike called a panterra tr200. Has anyone ever heard of the bike? Any input on if it could meet what Im looking for?

Feral:
That Pantera has a few other names (HSUN 200GY, ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S). I a pretty sure they are the bottom of the heap when it comes to chinabikes. I have had so many problems and silly repairs to make on mine, I have pretty much given up. (clutch is gone now). I would recommend any other chinabike as the metal on this one is very very soft. The Zong, Hibird and Lifan owners here have far less problems than these ones do. Spuds machine is awesome. Just follow the endless threads here on this great site.

I am looking into the new 400 daddy 469 and finnrider have. Just tracking down the possibility of getting one in Canada right now as none of the dealers (Pitsterpro) can get them. Xingye Canada MAY be able to get something in. They are in Alberta I believe. The info for the guy I need to speak with about getting one is on my office computer. I can get it to you if you like.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #8

Re: Looking to get into dual sports, a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsquishy
Quote:

Feral:
That Pantera has a few other names (HSUN 200GY, ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S). I a pretty sure they are the bottom of the heap when it comes to chinabikes. I have had so many problems and silly repairs to make on mine, I have pretty much given up. (clutch is gone now). I would recommend any other chinabike as the metal on this one is very very soft. The Zong, Hibird and Lifan owners here have far less problems than these ones do. Spuds machine is awesome. Just follow the endless threads here on this great site.

I am looking into the new 400 daddy 469 and finnrider have. Just tracking down the possibility of getting one in Canada right now as none of the dealers (Pitsterpro) can get them. Xingye Canada MAY be able to get something in. They are in Alberta I believe. The info for the guy I need to speak with about getting one is on my office computer. I can get it to you if you like.
Yea I would appreciate that, thank you. Ultimately id like to keep the running total around or under 2000. Looking at my local ads ive found a couple china bikes that may be decent.

Not sure what this one is.
http://saskatchewan.kijiji.ca/c-cars...dIdZ209933193#

2008 Hensim 250DB
http://saskatchewan.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ227644864

2008 chongquin highbird
http://saskatchewan.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ228426463

Old 09-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #9

Most of the Honda clones share a ton of same parts with a few variations.
Inverted vs. normal forks. Disk vs. drum rear brakes. Balance shaft or non-balance shaft motors or the occassional OHC in a 163FML....but other than that, all pretty much the same.

I've read a ton here on how the Suzuki and Yamaha clones are superior to the Honda clone,....but if you look, they share the same inverted forks as my X-moto Lifanoid, so there are still many similarities among the different clones, minus motors, of course.

It really depends on what you want to use it for. We all know Spuds unit is a fine unit, along with the Q's, but in all reality, my Honda clones have been totally reliable.....but we use them for camping and day trippin on fire roads for site seeing. Not daily, relentless riding. I have street bikes for that.

I do know that WA put his Honda clone Lifan through living hell in Alaska, in all seasons, and it ran pretty trouble-free, from what I've read and I'm pretty sure was still running when he did his 400 upgrade.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 AM   #10

Look into the Hensim 250--right now!! $1300 in Canada seems to be a great price, but then again, make sure you can register it first (I didn't look at the ad close enough to see if they had it registered)

Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
Look into the Hensim 250--right now!! $1300 in Canada seems to be a great price, but then again, make sure you can register it first (I didn't look at the ad close enough to see if they had it registered)
That would be a good price if it's road legal...and a 250cc too.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #12

im guessing the hensim is a honda clone then?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #13

If you have to do extended runs at 110kph, I would keep looking for a used Japan dual sport 400cc or bigger. Thats pretty much the wide open top speed for these bikes. Throw in a hill or a head wind and the speed is going to drop from that.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #14

Are there any cheaper 400s available in canada that would be decent quality around 2k?

I dont really want to go beyond that. Anyone with the Hensim 250 able to chime in on max speed?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #15

Take your time and do more research, and communicate with someone who has what you are buying. It is fun to look, but important to decide what will hold up. Good luck!