Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #1

Carbs

Hey,
I dont know much about carbs but I hear of people tuning them when they setup their machine for the first time. All I have done is adjust the side screw which adjusts how many rpm it idles at. Is there more adjustments that I dont know about? It seems to run good but maybe it could be even better.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #2

unless you add a intake and exhaust you dont need to mess with the main or pilot jet..

when its at idle give it a quick revv if it hesitates or bogs as soon as you hit the gas.. you need to play with the air/fuel screw.. which is that little screw on the front bottem of the carb right next to the bowl

Old 09-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #3

You can move the clip on the big needle to aid in cold starting. If you bike is stock there is not much that needs to be done.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
unless you add a intake and exhaust you dont need to mess with the main or pilot jet..

when its at idle give it a quick revv if it hesitates or bogs as soon as you hit the gas.. you need to play with the air/fuel screw.. which is that little screw on the front bottem of the carb right next to the bowl
WRONG

These carbs are rich as hell from the factory, sometimes lean as hell, really depends on what brand you buy.
They can always use tuning of the pilot and main and needle clip position for better performance.
If you want some basic carb information, search google for "spankys jetting guide" and you'll get some understanding of the tuning process.

Start with your pilot jet and find out what size you need by observing the number of turns of the fuel screw.
When that's said and done, check your main by doing a plug chop test. Adjust by a size at a time until you achieve a decent plug reading.
When that's said and done, the needle clip position can be adjusted for best performance, you will have to play with all the positions and see which one you like best.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke

WRONG

These carbs are rich as hell from the factory, sometimes lean as hell, really depends on what brand you buy.
They can always use tuning of the pilot and main and needle clip position for better performance.
If you want some basic carb information, search google for "spankys jetting guide" and you'll get some understanding of the tuning process.

Start with your pilot jet and find out what size you need by observing the number of turns of the fuel screw.
When that's said and done, check your main by doing a plug chop test. Adjust by a size at a time until you achieve a decent plug reading.
When that's said and done, the needle clip position can be adjusted for best performance, you will have to play with all the positions and see which one you like best.
not entirely wrong, most people just starting out are not going to want to mess with all of that untill they need to or there is a problem. instead of calling me out with the whole WRONG thing you could have just added your information to thread in the form of a suggestion.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #6

Your right, and I honestly apologize.

I must have taken my a$$hole pills that morning.

Sorry bud.

You are right as well in some respects, most people aren't going to want to mess with all of that or don't know how to when they first get their bike.
These bikes will run well with the stock jetting, you don't have to go in there and play with jets.

Brent

Old 09-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentn
You are right as well in some respects, most people aren't going to want to mess with all of that or don't know how to when they first get their bike.

Brent
Yep, and then they end up in the classifieds with blown engines, must have seen 3 GIO X31's in the last year with blown up engines for sale, best bet is to check the spark plug to make sure your OK, as, if your bike runs fine in warm weather and another fellow has the same bike running in much colder weather then a rejet is needed, these carbs are very simple and anyone with a bike or quad should know how to properly jet it if they want the engine to last.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #8

Or.....just jet the thing for cooler weather, and live with it a bit rich when warm.