Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #1

X31 REAR HUB BOLTS BREAKING

I have had alot of stock rear hub bolts coming loose & breaking on the X31... I have been changing the bolts to longer ones and putting lock tight and self locking nuts on the bolts as they are long enough to come thru the hub./. has anyone else been having these problems

Old 08-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #2

you sure nothing else is moving around or loose.. i know on some of these bikes and quads the bolts are super soft metal.. but if longer bolts with loctite and self locking nuts fixes then *high five*

Old 08-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #3

BOLTS

These are grade 8 bolts... right from the bolt supply store.. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem as I have several customers who had this happen.. the locks that come with the wheel are not the best.. the metal is brittle as the locks break somne times when you bent the tabs over.. I see they are on the GIO site to buy the bolts now.. but mine are strong.. I think maybe the hole in the gear maybe be alittle too big and this lets the gear work against the bolt and cut thru it.. anyone else .. please post your results

Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 AM   #4

Re: BOLTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY
These are grade 8 bolts... right from the bolt supply store.. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem as I have several customers who had this happen.. the locks that come with the wheel are not the best.. the metal is brittle as the locks break somne times when you bent the tabs over.. I see they are on the GIO site to buy the bolts now.. but mine are strong.. I think maybe the hole in the gear maybe be alittle too big and this lets the gear work against the bolt and cut thru it.. anyone else .. please post your results
Shouldn't speak for anyone really, but I believe Waynev has mentioned this problem on his X31 when he got it.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #5

On my old Orion this was a common problem, there are only 4 bolts on these hubs and the locking plate is a piece of shit.

I used loctite a few times with little success, if you are breaking bolts off then it's because your not checking your bike out regularily. When they get loose this is when they are prone to break, never when they are tight.

Last week was going over the girlfriends X31 2010 and it too had one loose rear bolt. Tightened it up and rebent the locking plate.

Running longer bolts through and using a washer and a nylon lock nut is a great idea, there's no way they're coming loose like that again.

Grade 5 is more than sufficient for a bike, we use grade 5 on our scrap metal bailer at work which can haul 10 000 pounds on it's belt up a 40ft incline into the compactor.
I'm sure that grade 5 or higher will not break on a bike unless they are loose and begin to wear and become thin.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #6

i say over do it and go with grade 8, but grade 8 wont bend it will shear off

Old 08-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #7

BOLTS

This is my thoughts as well.. grade 8 is the best.. I think no one has broken the grade 8 bolts & nuts.. but I was wondering if the holes in the gear are a little too big and this lets it work itself loose so then it shears the factory bolts.. I will have to check the next one that I do.,. the lock tabs are not very good as I think they are too brittle... so I may try shake proof washers on the next one.. Iam not sure if they have metric shake proof washers.. will keep everyone posted..

Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #8

Like the other guy said, grade 8 will shear off when it breaks.

The grade goes higher to how hard the metal is, it may not be the best for particular applications.

If I pull the rear sprocket I'll check the hole sizes as well related to the bolt and if I have to I'll use a bolt that fits it properly. Might have to get it custom cut at a bolt supply store, either that or use some kind of bushing to prevent the sprocket from moving under high load...

Old 08-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #9

bolts for rear hub

the bolts for the rear hub are ...M6 X 30 MM... then put self locking nuts on the inside of the hub where the bolts come thru.. use alot of BLUE LOCKTIGHT as well.. so far they have not had problems.. if grade 8 bolts shear.. it is only because something is loose.. if that is the case... use shake proof washers with the above setup..