Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #1

Chain & sprocket woes

I have a slight problem with the Maxfine & I need help. Basically, I ride her through the woods.... hard. :twisted: Obviously this has put some wear on the bike like a front rim that's starting to warp & now a broken chain tensioner. The rim I wasn't so concerned with, but I guess I should start looking for a replacement. What is getting me is the tensioner breaking. My bike has some sort of odd set up on the back of the swing arm that's basically a nut, bolt, & flat plate. I noticed it was broke when I was riding down the road & my chain popped off. That started a "chain" reaction (sorry for the pun, lol) because it balled up & completely locked up the motor.

Well to shorten the story up some, I got the chain back on, fired up the bike, & now the chain keeps making a popping sound. I noticed a small nick in the chain just big enough to catch my fingernail on but that can't be my problem. I either bent my rear sprocket or possibly the rear wheel needs lined up.

My question is, how do I fix/replace the broken tensioner & where can I find this part if necessary? Also finding a compatible front wheel would be nice, but not a "must do" thing yet. The trails, they are a calling & my new mini bobber just isn't suited for that type of duty, lol.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #2

I think I may have a tensioner for you.

Allen

Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #3

That would be awesome! I know this has got to be a dumb question, but how does the old one come out? I'm not wanting to leave any broken parts inside of the swing arm & I've never had to change one before.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #4

Went to the local bike warehouse that I mentioned in a previous post & started digging through stuff. I found a chain, CDI, & tensioner all for $15. The chain turned out to be too short, but the tensioner only cost $1! They didn't know what the part was for & figured since it was so small, it wasn't worth much. If I would have found any more, I would have bought a handful. The CDI should come in handy in the future & for $5 who can complain? I tested it on the bike & it works fine.

As far as the chain goes, I looked at the Maxfine & noticed that one link is bent. :( Should I try to knock the link out like when I was a kid working on bicycles or should I just chunk the old chain & buy another new one that actually fits? I'm budget minded, but do a lot of hard trail riding so I'm riding the fence on this issue. $60+ for a chain seems excessive, but that's what I've found so far. It is a 428 chain, correct?

Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #5

I wouldn't use a drive chain with a bent link. If it fails, it could cause major engine damage, and leave you stranded in a remote place. 8O I encourage you to buy a Tsubaki 428HQR drive chain for you bike.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7356

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #6

You should also be able to get a 428H (for heavy duty) RK or DID non o-ring chain for around $30 from a local bike shop. O-ring chains cost power and money.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #7

Spudrider, TYVM for the link! I'll be buying one of those. I didn't plan on using the chain as is, but knocking out the bent link & reattaching the chain. I guess if it won't get me aroiund & since those chains you pointed out are so cheap, I'll just get one of those & keep my bike out of commission for a little while. They are now clearance items at $9.99 each, so I'm gonna jump on it immediately!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #8

GREAT PRICE I got one myself and I don't even need a chain, yet.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rago
Spudrider, TYVM for the link! I'll be buying one of those. I didn't plan on using the chain as is, but knocking out the bent link & reattaching the chain. I guess if it won't get me aroiund & since those chains you pointed out are so cheap, I'll just get one of those & keep my bike out of commission for a little while. They are now clearance items at $9.99 each, so I'm gonna jump on it immediately!
You're welcome, Rago. Give the vendor a call, and ask him about the flat rate shipping. He can ship you six drive chains for the same cost as one. Therefore, I bought six drive chains, and I always have a spare chain handy.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #10

Spud, how many miles are you getting out of a chain?

I'm going to see what else I need that they sell to save on shipping.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Spud, how many miles are you getting out of a chain?

I'm going to see what else I need that they sell to save on shipping.
I don't know for sure, Doc. However, if you clean and lubricate it properly, the Tsubaki 428HQR should last more than 10,000 miles. Therefore, you are only spending one-tenth of a penny per mile, or less, to replace the drive chain.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #12

Ordered the chain, but still haven't got it on due to being really busy the last few weeks. Should be ready to go soon, but now I'm wondering about the front wheel.

Yeah yeah I'm hi jacking my own thread, but oh well. Can anyone tell me how to find out what wheels will fit on my bike? I know the Honda XL fenders swap on & a LOT of XL parts look similar, but I don't want to take the risk of paying for an XL wheel if it doesn't fit. How about Suzuki parts? I find Suzuki dirt bikes on CL regularly for $100-$300 with no motors or missing other parts. I'm mechanically inclined, just motorcycle stupid.... if that makes sense.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #13

Quote:
...Yeah yeah I'm hi jacking my own thread, but oh well. Can anyone tell me how to find out what wheels will fit on my bike? I know the Honda XL fenders swap on & a LOT of XL parts look similar, but I don't want to take the risk of paying for an XL wheel if it doesn't fit. How about Suzuki parts? I find Suzuki dirt bikes on CL regularly for $100-$300 with no motors or missing other parts. I'm mechanically inclined, just motorcycle stupid.... if that makes sense.
Don't hijack your own thread, Rago. If you start a new thread posing this question, you will get many more helpful responses. Also, if you start a new thread, the information you receive will be more easily found by others who seek this knowledge in the future.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-25-2010, 01:05 AM   #14

Quote:
I'm mechanically inclined, just motorcycle stupid.... if that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense to me. That's why I rely on these fine folks here. 8)

Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Don't hijack your own thread, Rago. If you start a new thread posing this question, you will get many more helpful responses. Also, if you start a new thread, the information you receive will be more easily found by others who seek this knowledge in the future.

Spud
New thread started.