Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #1

First ride in 30 years

Woohoo. Checked over everything on the 07 Hi-Bird 200 ST I got last Sunday, got a new helmet and went for my first powered bicycle ride since 1980. Since it only has 60 kilometers on it, it ain't even broke in. Or broke. Yet.

Boy, am I rusty. Felt like a noob out there trying to get the braking right, timing the shifts, and remembering to turn OFF the turn signal. :roll: Kept to the side streets so I wouldn't embarrass myself too much.

The bike ran great, half a kick gets it going once its been warmed up. I think it will be a fun toy.

Few questions, though, for those more knowledgeable than me.

1)What do you guys use for a replacement battery? My local NAPA couldn't cross reference the original. And that one is on its last legs.

2)What kind of grease gun fits the funky zerk on the swing arm and what's the threading? I have access to metric threaded zerks if the threading is M8.

I did find it ironic that many of the fasteners are M6 with an 8mm head and there is no 8mm wrench in the 'tool kit'. That kit reminds me of the 'tool kit' that came with my 1975 Honda Civic. It looked nice, anyway.

I do have a non working hi beam indicator and think I will just replace all the panel bulbs with 5mm LEDs. Might even put a piezo buzzer in the turn signal circuit. :wink:

cheesy

Old 07-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #2

Welcome. I'm not an expert but I'd say a 12v motorcycle battery that fits in the holder should work, other then that, I don't have a part number... Maybe someone else can chime in.

I'd also like to suggest a motorcycle course, not so you don't feel like a noob, just so you don't get hurt.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #3

I don't have a dual sport, so I'll defer to the fine folks here that know such things.

What I'd do is take measurements of the battery and try to find a suitable replacement at WalMart. It's probably in stock. Just be sure to get the terminals on the same side.

On my China quad, I drilled out the silly zerks and installed SAE units. Much better.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your bike. I'd love to get another dual sport some day (it's been a long time).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #4

If a guy at a parts counter can't find You a battery that can fit, They need to switch to flipping burgers Congrats on the bike.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Welcome. I'm not an expert but I'd say a 12v motorcycle battery that fits in the holder should work, other then that, I don't have a part number... Maybe someone else can chime in.

I'd also like to suggest a motorcycle course, not so you don't feel like a noob, just so you don't get hurt.
Couldn't even come up with a close fit at NAPA but I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the concern. I took a course almost 40 years ago, had my Class M nearly as long. Lots of experience but sold the last bike when I was a new Dad and haven't ridden since. Now have a 2 yo grandkid. This is more about getting the old moves back. Need to find an open field.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
If a guy at a parts counter can't find You a battery that can fit, They need to switch to flipping burgers Congrats on the bike.
You want to really confuse a counter guy. Tell him you need a brush holder for a GM 10SI alternator. When he asks what kind of vehicle, tell him a 52 Ford and watch the 'deer in the headlights' stare, then he reaches for the 'Vintage Book' while you and the 'Old Guys' have a good laugh.

And Thanks. I'm already liking it here.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:09 AM   #7

I'm very glad you are riding two wheels with a motor once again! Thirty years is a long time away from motorcycles; I certainly hope you enjoy many safe, happy miles riding your "new" bike.

Cheesy, if you have time, please post some photos of your Hi-Bird. We love photographs!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #8

Re: First ride in 30 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy
Woohoo. Checked over everything on the 07 Hi-Bird 200 ST I got last Sunday, got a new helmet and went for my first powered bicycle ride since 1980. Since it only has 60 kilometers on it, it ain't even broke in. Or broke. Yet.
Boy, am I rusty. Felt like a noob out there trying to get the braking right, timing the shifts, and remembering to turn OFF the turn signal. :roll: Kept to the side streets so I wouldn't embarrass myself too much.
Good to have you back on a bike. I did the same thing in '08. Hadn't been on an MC since '84 ('cept for a few "take it for a spin" friend rides).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy
Few questions, though, for those more knowledgeable than me.

1)What do you guys use for a replacement battery? My local NAPA couldn't cross reference the original. And that one is on its last legs.
cheesy
Here's what fit on my GY-5 Lifan. Not sure if it's the same size:
Batteries Plus XTAX7L-BS
Sounds like a plan with the rest you've found to fix.
Bill

Old 07-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #9

Here's a pic of the Hi-Bird five minutes off my Dad's trailer.

When I took the pic, it hadn't run since August of 07. My Dad, my youngest son-in-law, Jake, and myself spent the better part of an hour to get it running.
Mainly clearing the carb of stale gas. And using my booster charger to assist the tired battery.

My sister-in-laws' fiance stood by telling Jake, Dad and I what we should be doing to get it going, because he 'maintains' his own equipment. :roll: We ignored him. Dad spent 30 years building engines at AMC, Jake rebuilds locomotive engines, and I build and repair railroad maintenance equipment, tiny 2 strokes to Cat diesels. A 200cc engine doesn't require too many brain cells. Anyway, the fiance left with his panties in knot and before his car reached the end my driveway, the bike started. The bike must have been glad to see him go, too.

Bungee corded a milk crate to the rack and ran some errands today. My moves are smoothing out but I may reconfigure the rear brake pedal. The length and angle just isn't working for me. Put 30km on it the last two days. I know it isn't much but it's more than the bike has run in the last 3 years.

The milk crate is a temporary fix until I can score a couple of ammo boxes. What's a good size? :?:

Cheesy

Old 07-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #10

There's some pictures on here somewhere of some ammo box panniers... Not sure where though.

The milk crate is a good solution though I used zap straps to attach mine, and I've seen quite a few other milk crates too.

edit, here it is http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...&p=39676#39676

Old 07-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #11

Many thanks, Jim. Just what I was looking for.

Cheesy

Old 07-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #12

Thank you for posting the photo, Cheesy; your bike looks great! It appears your bike employs the same front hub, and front brake rotor as my Zongshen 200GY-2 motorcycle. If you ever want to mount two 18-inch wheels for a supermoto version of your bike, you can probably a buy a Zongshen wheel that fits it perfectly.

In addition to ammo boxes, you might want to consider a J.C. Whitney travel trunk. These travel trunks are inexpensive, and they easily lock, and unlock from the motorcycle luggage rack.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=6743

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #13

Here is a cheap walmart solution for a box. Spud's JC Whitney trunk is nice though.

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=5807

Old 07-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #14

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll need to look into each of those.

Cheesy

Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #15

I'm not sure what kind of grease gun fits the original fitting. On my Lifan, the fitting thread size is 6mm. I replaced the grease fitting with one that would accept a standard grease gun