Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #16

I know that full face helmets are the thing now....but I can't wear one.
Two things.....

First...bad claustrophobia.... If the PRK ever makes it law...after 41 years of doing it...I'll have to quit riding. The only thing I want that close to my face is my casket....and then I won't care. I can ride an elevator all day long. Don't strap my head in a bucket. I'll chew right through it....promise.

Secondly....way back when....when I raced motocross.....I've seen numerous broken collar bones from full face helmets. Guy goes over the bars, hits his head, bottom of helmet comes down, SNAP! Been paranoid of that ever since.

Guess I got 'general issues'.

For the dirt, I use a normal 3/4 helmet with a sun visor.
I'm thinking of trying one of those flip up full face units for Winter street bike riding. Maybe if my brain knows I can flip it up at any time....that will work out.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #17

Quote:
VTR you should read that blowing the lid off article I posted a link to.
I did read it. Pretty long-winded article. What I come away with is they are missing the point. I've seen a lot of unlimited street bike racing in my time, and I've see polycarbonate helmets split right down the middle. I've also seen GP accidents at around 200 mph, and it's not about the Gs tranferred, it about how tough the helmet is, and how much it flexes or decomposes on impact. Back in the 80's one of my friends went through a 4 x 4 fence at about 120mph on an 86' GSXR. He was wearing a Bell Star he borrowed from me. I have no doubt if he had been wearing a polycarbonate helmet he would be dead. In extreme accidents the fiberglass will absorb impact, where poly helmets will simply crush. Don't take my word for it, look to the F-1 guys. As for SNELL, I will simply say again that they are non-profit, and they are doctors. If you want to believe the guys who say the cheap helmet is just as good, I will agree to disagree.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #18