Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #1

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
The leak continues.

The gas leak that was previously posted about on the Zong is still persisting. I have checked all o-rings, all nuts and bolts, all hoses I can think of. I can't figure out where the heck it is coming from and I'm sick of the garage smelling like gasoline and refilling my tank every morning!

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=9363

Old 05-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #2

Re: The leak continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
The gas leak that was previously posted about on the Zong is still persisting. I have checked all o-rings, all nuts and bolts, all hoses I can think of. I can't figure out where the heck it is coming from and I'm sick of the garage smelling like gasoline and refilling my tank every morning!

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=9363
It is very dangerous to have gasoline leaking onto your bike and/or your garage floor. I strongly encourage you to remove the fuel tank from the motorcycle and give it a thorough inspection. I would not replace the fuel tank until I had fixed the problem.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #3

You sure it not leaking from the overflow tube on the carburator, I had to adjust the float level on the Roketa Dual sport i just got running cause the level was getting to high in the carb and would leak out the tube. It would only leak when the bike was on the kickstand and leaning over, if I stand it straight up it would stop

Old 05-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #4

I got a new Mikuni carb from giobikes and the bowl drain screw leaked a bit. Then it leaked a lot. I tightened the crap out of it, still leaked. Then I put a can under it and removed the screw and put it back in. Leak is now stopped. Must have been a bit of junk in around the screw.
Hope that helps.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 05-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #5

If it's leaking enough to drain the tank, it has to be fairly easy to determine where it's coming from. As Spud said, remove the tank. If you are still losing fuel from the tank, it is most likely the shutoff valve. If it's leaking after the shutoff, you may have a small cut in the fuel line. Anything larger that a few drops an hour, you should be able to visibly track down the source.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #6

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Took all of the plastics and tank off the Zong last night, determined to find the leak and I am pleased to say that, as of now, it is taken care of.

I double checked all the hoses and all the nuts and bolts I could think of and still the leak persisted. So I drained the tank and checked the pet cock. After completely unscrewing the pet cock from the tank I found the cause of the problem. Lots and lots o' crud had collected on the threads where the pet cock mounts to the gas tank. I wiped it clean, blow dried it with the air compressor, wrapped some thread tape around it and reassembled it.

As of 9 am this beautiful Monday morning, not a drop of gas on the garage floor and the smell is finally starting to ease up inside the garage as well. Thank you for all of your input and I will keep you posted on whether this fixed the leak on a permanent basis or not.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #7

Good to know. I bet you solved the problem.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #8

Good work, Brian. I think you fixed the problem.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894