Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Help FastDoc pick an ATV!
200cc A/C Lifanoid Beast type ATV 6 75.00%
250cc L/C Loncin 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #31

All the hoopla about 'pick a Chinese quad for me' and you buy a used Kawi?!?! I'll take that POS off your hands for $1600. YOU DID OUTSTANDING! I would have grabbed that too.

Joel

Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #32

Its a nice machine.

I just went through it, changed the oil in the engine and the axle, the spark plug, cleaned the air filter, checked the tires, and gave it a good bath and greasing. It really runs perfect, and while it does not look brand new, its close. Hardly a scratch or a scrape anywhere on it, including the bottom. I installed the electrical hookups for my gloves and vest and I'm good to go!

BTW, I'll place this post in the Other forum too for posterity...

Old 01-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #33

I forgot. It has front and rear racks but I took them off. Together they must weigh 30 pounds, and I like the look better without them, and if I need to carry something, they only attach with 4 bolts each so its no big deal.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #34

Wow Doc! I dunno what I like better, your ATV or the driveway and scenery in the background. Awesome!

Joel

Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #35

hey FastDoc

why just not get this http://cgi.ebay.ca/BRAND-NEW-GIOVANN...item35a69ff70c

Old 01-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyfa18
I guess you missed those BOLD red letters that say " WE ONLY SHIP TO CANADA "

Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #37

So I understand that there is no place in the USA that a person can get a real Gio Beast? If not why not?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:45 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
So I understand that there is no place in the USA that a person can get a real Gio Beast? If not why not?
EPA regulations I assume. Regardless, there are many nearly identical ATVs available in the States made from the same China parts.

Joel

Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Hey Chap,

Being honest, the only benefit to a Beast for you would probably be the cost (about CDN700-750) and the support you'd have here in the forums since many of us Canadians around in here familiar with them.

With that said, they are far from perfect China quads. As many have reported, they take a fair amount of wrench work to get them up to snuff as most of us here have put carbs, shocks, batteries, chains, swing arm bushings and various other modifications to make them less likely to break in the field. As it is, a couple of us are having nuisance problems like bad front to back alignment, wiggly swing arms, chains falling off, wiring gremlins etc.

They are easy to work on, and parts are not hard to find due to the research of others and Gio being quite stocked if need be. I'm sure most 200-250cc air cooled sport quads you could purchase in the US would be very similar in all aspects, and if you find one close to a Gio, you could always rely on John for parts, as I don't believe the parts are held at the border like the full units.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #40

Thanks for the reply. I like the Beast, because I know so many have tried it and it has done what I need it to do. Trying one similar is what I may do, but I am just trying to be sure I get a reliable one.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Hey Chap,

Being honest, the only benefit to a Beast for you would probably be the cost (about CDN700-750) and the support you'd have here in the forums since many of us Canadians around in here familiar with them.

With that said, they are far from perfect China quads. As many have reported, they take a fair amount of wrench work to get them up to snuff as most of us here have put carbs, shocks, batteries, chains, swing arm bushings and various other modifications to make them less likely to break in the field. As it is, a couple of us are having nuisance problems like bad front to back alignment, wiggly swing arms, chains falling off, wiring gremlins etc.

They are easy to work on, and parts are not hard to find due to the research of others and Gio being quite stocked if need be. I'm sure most 200-250cc air cooled sport quads you could purchase in the US would be very similar in all aspects, and if you find one close to a Gio, you could always rely on John for parts, as I don't believe the parts are held at the border like the full units.
I was originally looking for a Beast type ATV, but was happy to find a Kawasaki for not much more money in almost new condition.

I wanted a Beast because it was cheap, and the support here on the forum is great, and I like the commradarie, but I'm happy to have no short or long term mechanical issues. By the time I did the carb, shocks, bushings, chain, etc on a Beast it would have cost the same as my shaft drive Kawasaki.

Also, if and when I go to sell the Kawasaki, I bet I can can what I paid for it and the use of the bike would have been free, minus gas and oil and tire changes.

I like CHEAP. That's why I have a ChinaBike! 8)

Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #42

Thanks for the info, I will look into that. I usually shy away from used as I never know how they have been cared for.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #43

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I will look into that. I usually shy away from used as I never know how they have been cared for.
Alot of ATVs have not been used enough to be broken in. The Original owner buys them with big ideas of riding and they sit in the garage unused.

If the bumpers are bent up and tires at bald you can be sure it has been beat.

Allen

Old 01-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #44

Thanks Allen, That is good logic. I will look around!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #45

You can also look at the bottom of the frame and skidplates. No damage means it has likely been ridden responsibly.