Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #16

I'd figure water cooled would last longer and make more power because of better temperature control and be quieter than air cooled, but who knows?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'd figure water cooled would last longer and make more power because of better temperature control and be quieter than air cooled
It should last longer being more dimensionally stable, more power would come from bumping the compression ratio (with better cooling) and they would be quieter.

But, as with anything else, when you try to make something as cheaply as possible, you could be just adding another source of trouble.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #18

The Runmaster was air cooled, but did have cooling fans on the head. I too prefer the simplicity of the air cooled system. Water cooled would be a good thing in warm areas and in bigger engines. I have a 300 Honda Four Trax and it has been flawless, in every way. It is air cooled, but I have never run it hard in warm weather.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #19

The water cooled design does require a higher level of manufacturing quality control.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
The water cooled design does require a higher level of manufacturing quality control.
That would be my concern right there. QC is not the strongest point of any Chinese made ATV.

Not to discourage you at all. My YZ 250F is water cooled and I've been trail riding the past year with it with nothing but the plastic louvres in front of them and I've been lucky so far. I've had no issues... HOwever it's a bike and a Yamaha.

With a quad, I can see if being lowered to the ground and perhaps more likely to eat a rock. Rad gaurds can help there and as long as the system is designed well perhaps it's not a worry.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
Thanks for the info. These are impressive machines, and I wonder about the quality, how do we know? They look good. Did you see they have a 200 enduro at a very good price also.

Go Vikings!!!!!!!!
Shouldn't you be cheering for the packers.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #22

I am one of those people who stays loyal to my friends. Favre made some mistakes, we all do, and the Packers should have taken him back. I will always be a Favre fan and will cheer the Vikings until Favre retires or the next 20 years,what ever comes first!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #23

Being a somewhat native minnesotan we are rivals. Except I don't care about football.

On the atv subject. I would stick to air cooled. Not sure if the chinese have the watercooled thing down yet.

Didn't the one guy in kansas I think have issues with his liquid vbike.

Its a tough choice to buy an unknown online. The larger atvs are not very popular to get adequate reviews.

Allen

Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #24

I remember that you were from MN. I am a Favre fan and only get interested in football at times. I have too many other things to occupy my time. I will avoid the water cooled units when and if possible. I will PM the Kentucky Donkey and see if I can get his attention. I still have that Mazda truck!

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #25

I believe the problem was the cooling fan. Didn't come on when needed.

Don't remember any other problems, but not enough reports to get a good feel.

I think that was a 250 model. KD had the 300cc model.

Allen

Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #26

I can't find a good used name brand ATV locally for less than $1,800, and those look sorry.

Maybe I'll start thinking about the 200cc Beast with the Lifanoid engine for $1,070 delivered...

It would have all the power I need.

Are they manual clutch?

Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I can't find a good used name brand ATV locally for less than $1,800, and those look sorry.

Maybe I'll start thinking about the 200cc Beast with the Lifanoid engine for $1,070 delivered...

It would have all the power I need.

Are they manual clutch?
Yes they are manual clutch, R-N-1-2-3-4, the only problem for you is they only ship within canada.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #28

I'm looking at this American imported version:

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...roducts_id/502

Whatever happened to NAFTA anyway? 8)

Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #29

If that one's $849 + $220 shipping, no tax, HOW CAN YOU BEAT THAT!! I hear you on buying used. You can't touch anything even remotely decent for less than $1500-2K in my area. Kids machines included. One thing on that K081 200cc, what's with the E-fan up by the jug? Just to purdy it up?

Joel

Old 01-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #30

Whatever happened to NAFTA anyway?

It seems to be in place for a select few (I would assume friends of the politicians). "Free-trading" doesn't seem to work for me. I *think* NAFTA is for goods manufactured in North America.

I *think* the stuff we are being sold (in Canada) slips in as "off-road" and does not have to meet EPA standards. Where you fellas have EPA "blanket coverage".

Recently I could not send (ship) a used 2 cycle lawn mower to the US, as it was EPA approval "free". (I could have smuggled the parts over, after taking it apart, but not a complete lawn mower, specifically the engine).