Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #1

STS-129 Ascent Highlights (NASA)

This is the coolest video I've seen in quite some time. The camera locations and angles are ones I have NEVER seen before.

http://www.vimeo.com/7852885

Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 AM   #2

That was amazing; I feel so small. 8O The booster rocket separation shots were very cool.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 AM   #3

It does put things in perspective.

Although very thankful for what I have in this life (not so much on other things) I think I was born 100 yrs too late, or 50 yrs too early.

Sure, life was brutal and short 100yrs ago but I would have thrived.

As for the next 50yrs, well, maybe we’ll have cold fusion, be on the moon or mars, not to mention all the other technological advances. Assuming of course the planet isn’t a smoking cinder by then.

NB: We built approx. 30% of the Canada arm for Spar and 15 grapple fixtures that attach to the arm to deploy & retrieve sats. Berylium is an interseting material and thats what the main base was made out of with the rest being Titanium, and Aluminium.

My signature is on all of them, hence my extreme interest in anything related.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #4

I think most of the laws of physics were understood hundreds of years ago but, in the last 120 years those laws have really been utilized. It's amazing when you take a picture of the Wright Bros plane and put it next to the SR-71 Blackbird that was built only 50 years later. One plane could barely fly 10 feet high for only a short distance, the other one screams at over Mach 2 with a ceiling of something like 80,000ft in about 50 short years. The amount of technology has leap-frogged tremendously. That's a great video. It's really drives home how far we've advanced in technology, and yet to think the Space Shuttle is old in todays world.