Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #1

Sheng Wey PD1?

I have a Sheng Wey PD1 carb on my Tank Trail 200. One of the floats is damaged and takes in fuel, sinking it. I was going to replace the float assembly, but I'm now leaning towards a carb upgrade.

Just wondering if anyone has a PD1 carb? Before I take all of it's measurements I wanted to check here to see if anyone has done a direct swap of this carb. Seems like most of the 200s come with a 27mm...not sure what this one is.

Also, with stock exhaust and minor airbox mods, how big of a carb do you think these 200s can utilize? I've seen quite a few 30mm carbs on ebay that look like they would work. Anyone tested a 30mm on the OHC 163fml?

Thanks...

Old 08-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #2

try searching 30mm in the enduro section,have seen before

Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #3

no luck searching...here or elsewhere on the web. I can find info on the PD2 carb, but nothing for the PD1

Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #4

Well I went ahead and bought a 30mm Mikuni from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbu...=p4506.c0.m245

Says it has the proper dimensions. I will post pics and a review of it after install.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #5

Looking forward to the report. I'm sure it will help the next guy. We are all on new ground here!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #6

What are the floats made of? I would think a guy could fix one in a bind. What did the new carb cost?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #7

The new carb was less than $40 shipped. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger carb anyway, since I have a used exhaust from an older XR off craigslist that i haven't installed that will probably work well with a larger carb. With some mods to the airbox, I'm curious to see what the difference is.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #8

I would skip the airbox and get a UNI filter to install.

Allen

Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #9

Good point, I will just get a new filter. I use my bike as an urban commuter so dust and dirt isn't much of an issue.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #10

Well, i installed my new carb and it works great! The new carb is a 30mm with a 105 main jet. Air/fuel screw set at 2 1/8 turns out, c-clip in the middle notch. It's a little rich right now, but I have a new uni air filter on the way, so I'm going to wait til that arrives before I really fine tune things. It starts easily with no choke now - even cold, idles great, and has gained some low end power. I haven't revved it up too much to test the high end because it isn't quite dialed in. I would definitely recommend a carb upgrade to anyone looking for an easy way to gain some power. Even with the stock air box and exhaust, it has more power.

I did take a dremel to the inside of the exhaust header. It looked like it was welded and just left that way, leaving a ring of weld on the inside right where the header pipe begins. It had to be restricting flow, so I ground it down smooth and it seems to breath a lot better. It sounds a lot better!

So if you've never had you're exhaust off the bike, I would check your header pipe. Might want to get a new crush gasket from a honda dealer first - the gasket that goes in between the pipe and the motor. They aren't really reusable.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #11

Good news! Thanks for the update.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #12

any new updates on the carb swap ? i mite consider this as well and wonder about a carb with a pump circuit vs one without ?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #13

The carb swap has proven to be a great upgrade. The bike used to be a bit of a pain to start cold. I'm used to having to set full choke and warm up a bike so it wasn't that much of a problem, but now it is so nice to just turn the key and hit the start button. From the second I start it up it idles perfect with NO choke!

Granted it runs just a little rich with this setup. When the motor is still cold it will bog slightly with too much throttle. Once fully warmed up it runs awesome! And the spark plug comes out looking just a little rich, but I'd rather run slightly rich and replace my plug every month or two than run lean on an air cooled single. I've played with needle settings and this setup seems to work the best for some reason. Cool! My little air cooled motor likes to run a little rich! I would dial it in more precise but I ride mostly city and slightly rich on my motor seems to yield a bit more low end grunt, which is exactly what I like. And when the 105 main kicks in with more throttle it revs up strong!

The swap from the stock airbox to a foam unifilter has proven well worth the $10 also. If you plan to still do a lot of off-road trails where it will get very wet and muddy I would probably stick with the stock traditional style airbox and maybe do some mods to it to increase airflow, but for streetfighter/commuter use like I do the washable foam filter is perfect.

Here are my specs:

200cc OHC 163FML engine,
30mm "Mikuni" carb (knockoff from ebay for $32...works great...uses mikuni jets)
105 main jet, pilot jet set to 2 1/8 turns out,
$7 angled universal foam filter from ebay. washable outer filter. mounts directly to carb intake...no mods required on my bike,
Stock exhaust...but polished beginning of the header pipe to increase flow,

For a 200cc enduro it is really a blast to ride now! With my 43T rear sprocket it will run 70 MPH, but it's actually not that scary at freeway speeds! But I am kinda crazy!

No personal experience with the carbs with the pump circuit but I assume it would probably yield similar results, if not better with the added fuel at full throttle.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #14

Quote:
With my 43T rear sprocket it will run 70 MPH
I'm running a 17 front and a 49 rear sproket and have seen 67 mph gps veified . What front sproket do you run? also i ordered a 30mm carb and then measured the pd1 that was on my bike and it also measures 30mm . my replacement is exactly the same as the oe except it says pz30 on it . http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/30MM-...Q5fAccessories uses KEIHIN jets . a run down the street and back feels good with a 105 main jet, needle set 2nd from the top
. was no good with a 115 jet ,way to fat (rich) would not rev above 6000 rpm . waiting for warmer days and time to really check the tune.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #15

I'm running a 43T rear sprocket. The bike will do 70+ on flat ground, but it struggles up hills and first gear is kind of tall for takeoff. I'm using a digital bike speedo that i've tested to be quite accurate, so my speed reading are pretty spot on...I think. The problem with trying to utilize 16 or so HP is that with the lower gearing like my 17/56 setup it had good acceleration but topped out at about 50mph screaming! With the 17/43 it will do freeway speeds but is a dog in first gear and most of my friends who ride it for the first time snub out easily and ask what's wrong with my bike. It's not really meant for freeway use but can do it with sacrifice. Almost like a desert race car that needs a push start to get going...OK not that extreme but the 17/43 just would not work for off road use. But for street commuter it is a good compromise.

And yeah, the carb I ordered off ebay was basically the same as the stocker, but with different jetting. My old one had float issues so I needed a new one anyway, but really it was just a cheap replacement. Jetting and throttle needle position are where you dial in these little thumpers.