Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #1

Son Got and ATV, should I go Dual Sport or ATV too?

I posted this very same message in the dual sport forums. I wanted to cross post here to get as large a sample of opinions as possible. I'm sure I'm breaking a rule here.......

I hate it when people ask questions like this, so forgive me. I need you all to help me make up my mind.

We bought my son a Chinese ATV From VBike and he is having a blast on it. I want to either get an ATV to ride with him or a dual sport. I've owned dual sports when I was younger and street bikes as recently as this year so I am an experienced rider. I am leaning toward a dual sport for a few reasons - the China versions seem to be less prone to mechanical issues than the china ATVs, I feel I get more bike for the $$ and it and an ATV will both fit in the back of my pickup where 2 ATVs wont

My concern is that I won't be able to go the same places that my son will, ie - soft terrain, rutted hills, creek bottoms. Those of you who have ridden with ATVs, did you find yourself being left out of a lot of terrain? I went everywhere my friends went on their 3 wheelers in highschool, but I wanted to check here and make sure that I won't be left in the dust by my son.

Which dual sport would you prefer? I have VBike and HiBird all within a 45 minute drive so one from either place would be a bonus. Or should I just get another ATV?

Thanks a ton guys!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #2

Before we begin, I always click on "View posts since last visit", so I'd find your post despite where it's located.

I've struggled with the same question. I've ridden bikes (street, dual sport and dirt) on and off for 27 years, so I'm definitely comfortable on a bike. That said, I can't quite attain the same bonding experience with my kids if I'm on a bike while they're on a quad. When we're both on quads, we're on level playing fields. It's easy for me to demonstrate to my daughter (or my wife) that a particular hill is easily overcome, since we're riding similar machines. My son is now more experienced, but we still enjoy going on a quad or bike adventure together.

I'd buy a quad now, and then two dual sports when your son is older. You'll be able to guide him through each step and enjoy every minute of it. BTW, you can often pick up cheap trailers on CL.

Do you have more kids to consider in this discussion? What does your son say?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #3

Awesome reply! My son is all for anything that lets him and I ride trails. I do admit I like the idea of 2 ATVs that we can grow with and share. You make some good points.

My daughters are 18 and 20 and have little interest, although they would prefer an ATV when they visit. Son is 12 and is the only child at home (just he and I - no wife/girlfriend. in the mix).

We have been looking at trailers lately. One plan he and I throw back and forth is one trailer large enough to be road worthy, yet small (and light) enough to pull behind a quad. Helps me to justify it for hauling brush, etc when at home I think I can get a decent one for around $600 which isn't too bad (12" tires, lights, loading ramp on the back).

I should note that I like the idea of having a bike as backup transportation or just for riding to work to save gas. If I go that route, it would have to be able to haul my 215lb butt at 65mph though.

Thanks again for the post. Much appreciated.

Steve

Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #4

If you have a MIG and a little time, you could rebuild a cheap trailer to meet your specific needs.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #5

Got the mig and stick welders - I just need a cutoff saw. Been eying them for a while. The old 'backward blade in a skillsaw' that my dad used to use gets old after a while. And deafening too.

I'll keep an eye out for a suitable trailer. I need one regardless of what I get.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #6

I would tend to agree with W&G on this a little.

I love my dirt bike, the feeling of arm ripping acceleration and speed is a wonderful feeling for me and I really do love riding it around.

However recently I have my little kids some small quads, and they love to follow me around and go exploring behind me. I feel very 'detached' from them when I'm on my bike. It's a lot faster, louder, and higher off the ground, so it still feels like I'm riding on my own when with them, and I have a harder time keeping an eye on them. A month or so back, one of my daughters launched herself off her's, and I didn't notice as I was bombing around and my wife was the one to rescue her.

When I have the opportunity with another quad around to putter around with them, I don't get the same sense of speed and exhileration, but the joy is different. I can ride beside them, watch them, and show them things I cannot on my bike. It became a nightly ritual, that after dinner we would go 'looking for bears' on the quads, and was quite relaxing for me.

I can't speak for the commute and road aspect, since I have no interest in that myself. I don't think I would ever get rid of my bike, but it's more of 'my' thing than a family thing. I think you will feel more 'connected' in your group riding if you were on a quad yourself.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
A little?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyersteve
Got the mig and stick welders - I just need a cutoff saw. Been eying them for a while. The old 'backward blade in a skillsaw' that my dad used to use gets old after a while. And deafening too.
Before I bought a cut-off saw, I went through dozens of cut-off discs for my 4 1/2" angle grinder (the compostite kind, not the metal discs). I buy them from the local tool shop when they go on sale for $1. I use similar discs on my 7" angle grinder as well. The benefit to an angle grinder is the control it offers; you can use it to cut out an odd shape in sheet metal, and you can cut tube or solid rod with it.

I always use hearing protection when I'm cutting. :wink:

Old 08-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
A little?!
Just love the bike chap!