Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #1

Here we go!

My lifan is my first motorcycle ever. I have worn the rear tire down flat, and I now have a new rear tire and I have never changed a motorcycle tire. Could any of you bike riding vets out there maybe give me a couple of helpful hints before I puncture my tube 800 different times :oops: ???

Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to madmaximum Send a message via Yahoo to madmaximum
Just get yourself a set of tire irons.....stay away from the flat screwdrivers!

Old 03-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #3

Just about any gas station can mount it for you...You wanna make sure the tire is centered on the rim or you'll be vibrating all over town...

Old 03-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to madmaximum Send a message via Yahoo to madmaximum
You have gas stations that mount tires? The only place I see them around here are the interstate exits, and I doubt they change motorcycle tires. We do however have convenience stores all over the place. No tires, but lots of coffee, donuts, soda and magazines.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #5

Get the wall of your tyre into the centre of the wheel when levering it over the edge of the rim at the opposite end of the wheel. Then work backwards towards yourself

Old 03-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #6

Tire irons / spoons are a must -- I like the bigger ones because some tire beads can be a bear... be prepared to grumble under your breath and strain getting that last bit over the rim.

Helps to put a couple of pounds of air in the tube to keep if from laying against the rim.

If you care about having a nice rim you might want to take it someplace because I know I've gouged quite a few rims --- but then again I didn't care what they looked like.

I usually start at the bead lock and work my way around -- but if your bike doesn't have a bead lock then I would start at the valve stem (even though this link says to start opposite the valve stem --- really I don't think it matters)

http://www.clarity.net/adam/tire-changing-dirt.html

I just put a new tire on my KX the other day -- don't forget to torque the rear axle when you put it back on.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 03-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #7

Tires 101
Assemble tools needed. 3 tire irons is nice.

Put new tire in the warmest place you can find.

Secure bike on a stand, with straps, they can do funny things when they have only one wheel...

Remove wheel, paying close attention to any spacers and chain adjusters. You may have to remove your brake caliper. take notes, take pix, whatever works, until you are familiar with the drill.

Remove valve core, loosen rim lock if present.

Break the bead away from the rim, both sides of the tire.

Start your tire irons at each side of the rim lock if present, about 6in apart. Make sure the bead of the opposite side of the tire is centered in the rim, and as much more of it as you can. Work your way around, keeping the tire bead opposite of you centered in the rim. The 3rd tire iron should never be moved, it the the base, try to hook it on the hub or brake disc.

When you get one side of the tire off, remove the inner tube.

Work the other side of the tire off. Inspect the rim for any defects, sharp edges, etc.

Inspect new tire for any debris inside, and sprinkle inside with baby powder or talc. Look for a direction of travel indicator. Some have them, some dont.

Hook the tire into the center of the rim, and place the first iron in, and hook it if you can. If you have a rim lock, you will want to start your tire there. begin to work around, making sure the tire already on the rim is in the center. I prefer to do this step without lubrication, so the tire doent slip off.

Install the innertube, make sure the valve stem is straight.. Install the valve core and put a few pounds of air in. If you feel the air is fighting you, let some out. Lubricate the tire bead, I use liquid dish soap. Starting at the rim lock, repeat the above paragraph.

Use a lot of caution and "feel". Only use as much of the tire iron as needed, poking it in to far can cause a puncture.

Got it on? Lubricate the first side you installed. Inflate the tire to about 40lbs. Look for some feature on the tire close to the rim so youcan see if the bead is seated all the way around, on both sides. You may have to add more air to get it to seat, in some case you may have to break the bead and relube. It is pretty hard to explode a tube inside a mounted tire.

When the bead is fully seated on both sides, set your tire pressure, tighten the rim lock, and set the wheel aside until tomorrow, just in case you made a small cut, it will save you disassembling the bike again...

Still showing the same air pressure? Reinstall the wheel and ride!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #8

A good tire changing thread on Adv. Rider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

Old 03-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Install the valve core and put a few pounds of air in.
A _lot_ of people forget this step and pay for it in tubes. A bit of air in the tube during installation is a must. I also replaced the narrow spoke strips with numerous layers of duct tape when I swapped out my stock Lifan tubes. The spoke ends have a tendency to wriggle out from under the rubber strip and chafe the tubes.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #10

You might check with who you buy your tire from. I put a kenda on the front last fall and the MC shop where I bought it said they would install it for free if I'd bring in the wheel and buy the tire from them. And their tire price was decent.